Need 44 Spl loading data....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Need 44 Spl loading data....

Post by centershot »

...for a 300 gr bullet with Alliant 2400 in a Marlin 1894 44 Mag carbine. I bought a thousand of these 300 gr WFN bullets to use in the carbine for Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette matches. :) BUUUUUTTTT...........they won't feed cuz of that big wide nose, they hang up on the top of the action. :| So they'vve been sitting on the shelf (awaiting the arrival of a 44 mag revolver :roll: ....someday!), but I got to fiddlin' recently (No, not the instrument) and found that they feed fine if I load them in 44 Spl cases! :D My problem is that I can't find any pressure tested data to use as a guide; I'm thinking 16-17 gr would be absolute max in 44 Spl cases, maybe not even that much! So, not wanting to hurt myself or my gun, I thought I'd ask the question here: Does anyone have reliable, pressure tested data for a cast GC 300 gr WFN and #2400 powder in 44 Spl cases?

Thanks in advance,

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need 44 Spl loading data....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

You did not ask but could you seat those bullets deeply enough in the magnum case to make the round feed reliably? If you can you will have to back off the powder charge to avoid excess pressures. This will compensate for seating the bullet deeper in the case. If you have a chronograph the velocity will tale the tale. 1886.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Do not try and work up a load with out a chronograph.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

You can trim 44 Mag cases to 44 Special legnth, and start just a little below the 44 mag starting loads for that powder and bullet combo. I have done such things in the past, the trick is to mark the rim so you know that those are altered cases. My mark was to obliterate one letter on the headstamp with a dremmel tool.

I was just trying to use available Magnum cases in a 44 Special, not trying to get mag performance out of my Special revolver.

Also,by trimming, you reduce case capacity, so even starting loads will be a little warm. That 13.5 gr of 2400 sounds like a good place to start. 2400is a great powder, because it can be used in less than maximum loads so easily.

I haven't seen any pressure tested data for heavy bullets in the 44 special; so it looks like you are on your own.

Are you trying to make warm loads, or just usefull ammo with components you have?

Sean
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Thanks for your replies! No, I;m not trying to "hot-rod" a 44 Spl, I'm using these loads in my Marlin 1894 44 mag carbine. I wish I could use 44 Mag cases but the bullets won't feed at that length. Just trying to use up this carton of bullets I bought over at Montana Bullets a year or so back! I loaded up 15 rounds each of 11.0 and 12.0 grains of 2400 this AM, guess I'll start there and see what that gives me. If one of them is an accurate load (1-1/2" @ 50 yds is what I'm loking for) then I'm done, don't need blazing performance, just an accurate load. Hey, it's a 300 gr bullet, I don't need to launch it all that fast! :D

Thanks!

centershot
J. R. R. Tolkien
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I a similar problem w/ some 275 Gr. bullets from Cast Performance. They just wouldn't feed through my Marlin 94P but the same style bullet in 300 gr. works perfectly in my 94S/45Colt.

I made up a few .44Spl. loads using Unique and had some decent results but still wasn't perfectly reliable. I ended up using them for my Win. 94BB/ .444Marlin.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Howdy Centershot,
Hope to see you in Ridgway Oct 4 /5 Action Jubilee (I'll be posting info about it soon.) One thing you may find is that those 300 gr. bullets may not quite stabilize at lower velocities. If that is the case, perhaps loading them in .44 Mag cases to the appropriate power level and single loading them would be the way to go.

Good luck,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Hi Jack!
I saw your report "Levergun at the Nationals"; ATTA' BOY!!! I'll bet those guys were amazed at what a levergun can do in capable hands! You're correct on the low velocity/300 gr bullet thing, I wish Marlin used a faster twist@ If I load in mag cases, 15 gr of 2400 works nicely; I hope to be able to get there in the 44 Spl cases. I plan to cut down a bunch of mag cases to 44 Spl length so I'm not concerned with case integrity, just trying to find a load that'll stabilize that big bullet at safe pressures. I'm headed for the range shortly to try the next step up, 13.5 and 14.0 gr. I'll keep going until I get what I'm looking for or presssure signs tell me I have to stop. Range report coming soon!

centershot
J. R. R. Tolkien