Homeland Security

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Homeland Security

Post by JimT »

drboomboom
Levergunner

Re: Homeland Security

Post by drboomboom »

JimT,

That's funny. I'm going to send this to my son. He's majoring in Homeland Security at college.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jim, Love that picture and sentiment.

But .... didn't the Apaches loose?? Some of the best warriors this world has ever seen and they lost simply because they were hopelessly outnumbered.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, they were some bad motorscooters to be sure. Just ask the Texians who pushed into their land.

And while I regret that they were defeated and their culture lost (to a great extent), I also realize that my ancenstors dealt with the same thing - only they were defending against the Roman Empire.

It has been the way of mankind since the dawn of "civilization".

And it still goes on today throughout the world.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Jim, Love that picture and sentiment.

But .... didn't the Apaches lose??
Joe
Some of them would tell you the war's not over :o

I know our notions of the 'old days' are hopelessly blurred by time and overly romanticized, but sometimes I think I can understand why some whites fought on their side(s).

Now, however, everyone in this country needs to brace against the common enemies of foreign fanatics and domestic socalists!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This has been one of the pictures floating around as my screensaver for the last few years. I love it! :D
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

The modern version is? was ? The Shadow Wolves (Google)

In my younger day's I always admired the Apache, Geronimo's gang in particular.

Later in life I decided they weren't nothing more than thieving murder's not worthy of admiration, when the going got tough they quit.

good luck
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not sure I would call the Cavalry/Settelers "terrorists"....

Invaders, absolutely. Terrorists? With the exception of SmallPox Blankets, no.

Be nice to have a few Apache Divisions on the Mexican Border...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The Apaches were actually much more similar to terrorists in their methods. They were defending their territory and held nothing back.

The Germanic tribes were just as brutal in their efforts to repell the Romans. The Berzerkers where kind of like suicide bombers - though they more often than not survived the battles.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Come on now guys,
if you ever heard the old ones tell the stories in thier own words; you would feel differently.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mescalero1 wrote:Come on now guys,
if you ever heard the old ones tell the stories in thier own words; you would feel differently.
_Quite true_

Thursday March 30 9:07 AM ET
Bounty on Indian Scalps to Be Reconsidered
HALIFAX (Reuters) - Canada will consider striking down a 244-year-old
provincial law that offers hunters a bounty for Indian scalps, following
complaints by native groups.
The Nova Scotia government has asked Ottawa to confirm that the 1756
proclamation by then-governor William Lawrence no longer has any force
or effect.
`It´s a question of dignity. Nobody tends to think about stuff that
happened two and a half centuries ago, but it´s still a sore point
with our Mi´kmaq community and we feel it needs to be addressed, just
on the question of dignity,´´ Richard Perry, a spokesman for the
Nova Scotia government, told Reuters.
``The minister states that it´s fairly obvious that in Canada, in the
year 2000, laws today obviously prohibit the kind of hostile actions
that took place here (in the 18th century).´´
Nova Scotia's government passed a resolution Tuesday to ask the federal
government to negate the effects of the bounty, one of three passed by
the British colonial government. The other two were formally repealed by
Britain.
Perry said the resolution was adopted following complaints by Nova
Scotia's 13 Mi'kmaq native bands who were upset the law was still on the
books. The resolution also invites the government to express its
``sincere regrets over past hostilities.´´
Nova Scotia must ask the federal government for guidance because the law
came into effect before the present-day province existed and before
Canadian Confederation in 1867.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

JimT,
Thank you
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

It's all about perspective. If you were a family of whites bouncing around in the back of a wagon heading to what you thought would be a new life, and you encountered Geronimo's warriors.....homeland security would not be your first thought. We cannot concieve of the brutality of what happened to some of these settlers, and yes, conversely, what happened to Native Americans as well. Perspective.

Mescalero, I may not agree with some of your views, but you have proven yourself to be a first rate gentleman here.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

I have that on a T-shirt, bought it at the Crazy Horse monument, imagine that. :wink:
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Geronimo’s Story of His Life: http://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Geronimo/GerStory.htm

This is an online book that's well worth the time to read.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero 1 - I often heard some in Ruidoso say that President Wendell Chino didn't really like whites. Mostly I heard that from people who were wanting something from him or some concession from the Mescalero Apache Tribal Council. After meeting with President Chino on several occasions, I came to the belief that it wasn't necessarily that he didn't like whites, even those with honorable intentions, but that he learned about the whites as a boy at the knee of the old ones. Those tales and impressions that he absorbed couldn't help but color his feelings when dealing with folks of a different culture. I gained that understanding after a comment from him about how important the lessons from his grandmother were to him.

Cultural history is special to each culture. As an example, my grandmother equated Abraham Lincoln with the devil. Really thought of him as someone who deliberately set out to destroy the south and it's culture. She was born in 1886, just more than 20 years after the end of the War of Northern Agression. Her family members had suffered during that war and subsequent reconstruction debacle. No doubt her feelings colored her impression of Lincoln and northerners in general. Well, she passed those feelings on to me and my sibling as we sat often at her knee and listened to her talk of the old times.

To this day, I have my feelings about what occured during that period of our country's history and they often mirror my Granny's. I know what of our cultural history was destroyed and the suffering that was impressed on a people. I know what the victors of that conflict left as a legacy to the south, the corruption of the south's history and the lingering stigma of being southern, as portrayed in literature and the general dismissal of southern culture as somewhat backward, crude and of little value.

All the above said, I live in the modern world, served my country during the Viet Nam era and understand that none of us has the answer to solve the world's ills. We are all in this mess together and the best that we can do is serve our family, our friends and our faith to the best of our abilities.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Goatguy,
Precisely, my own feelings about the subject as well and influenced by the stories I heard from the old ones.
I managed to have a productive life and retire from aviation,but am still haunted by the memories.