.257 WSM?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

.257 WSM?

Post by awp101 »

Ran across an custom TC Encore last night in .257 WSM. Near as I can tell it's a recent wildcat but the custom maker's name on the bbl doesn't list it anymore.

I passed due to the $700 price (and having no fun money helped ) but looking at the makers website, the bbl alone was 4 bills.

I have no use for the WSMs or WSSMs but the rest of the rifle was purty enough that I can see getting it and parting with the bbl...

Anyone else seen/heard of this caliber or read anything about it?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Re: .257 WSM?

Post by Hobie »

Some makers weren't chambering for the short magnums because they almost all use a base case with a bigger case head. This increases breech thrust above design levels. Not to catatrophically fail, mind you, but to significantly accelerate wear.

I imagine it has the same relationship to the .270 or 7mm short mags as the .25-06 has to the .270 Winchester.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks!

Here's a blurb I found:
http://www.realguns.com/archives/053.htm

IF I were to put it on layawake, I'd probably sell the bbl since I can't even find the dies, etc to roll my own. It sure was pretty though... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

What is not told is that the factories experimented with the .25 WSM and could not isolate the cause of occasional pressure spikes. Those spikes occured often enough to be a problem but could not be duplicated at will. They finally settled on the WSSM (short) case which did not display the same problem. Just something to consider. BOL
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'm an advocate of both the Remington and Winchester Short Mags and as a matter of fact own or have owned six guns for them as well as one for a WSSM .

I am fine with the Short Mags in 270-338 and have often wanted a RSUM in 6.5mm but have never seen fit to tear up a perfectly good rifle to do it ! For the 25 caliber I am perfectly satisfied with my 25 WSSM .

As for the Short Mags I am flush right now with three . Remington 7mm and 300 Short Ultra's and a 325 WIN Short Mag . Might be nice to have another 270 WSM but not necessary since I have that 7mm ! Also that 338 Ruger Compact Mag doesn't sound to bad although I've yet to have one in my hands .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Perhaps the WSM could be rechambered to something else? :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

I have an encore barrel in 25 WSSM, very good shooter and have encountered no pressure problems. It will duplicate 257 Roberts AI ballistics in a smaller case using identical length barrels, both mine are 17 in pistol barrels. Works for me, can't say it will for anybody else.
Death Before Dishonor