OT: Cabinet Mtn Wilderness lake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Cabinet Mtn Wilderness lake

Post by BigSky56 »

Took a horse ride into lower Cedar lake in the north end of the cabinets, caught some rainbows and cutts ate em was checking out the elk also but only saw tracks . Huckleberries were ripe and good too! danny
Hobie

Re: OT: Cabinet Mtn Wilderness lake

Post by Hobie »

You'll soon be contacted for investigation on the charge of mental cruelty to old men stuck in Virginia.... :wink: :lol: That looks like a wonderful place and sounds like a great time!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hobie wrote:You'll soon be contacted for investigation on the charge of mental cruelty to old men stuck in Virginia.... :wink: :lol: That looks like a wonderful place and sounds like a great time!
+1 For old men stuck in the UK. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Wow. It doesn't get any better than that!
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Danny, My brother and I fished the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness back in 98 and caught lots of nice rainbows and cutts. Along with the Beartooths and the Winds, it is one of my favorite places on earth. Sure beats downtown Birmingham, AL where I am sitting now. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Beautiful ain't it! Got a nice Bull Elk with my .44 '94 Trapper not too awful far from there. Just back over Snowshoe and towards the Clark Fork a ways. Have a small parcel of land dead nuts north of Huson half way up the mountain on a plateau over looking the valley, some day I'll build and move there permanently. Bought it back in '84 for a song with both mineral and water rights, covenants are mine too! Some day....some day :x
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's what I'm talkin about. Yeah.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The best way to catch those high mtn trout is spin gear with a clear bobber and a lawyer fly about 5 or 6' behind it. My hunting partner and I caught one about every cast, just put it out there and then slow slow retreive. they were running 10 to 14". danny
Ive hunted all over the cabinets its mostly dark timber hunting wait for a tracking snow and ride up on them elk, horses dont bother them at all. Have taken some nice mulies too. danny
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Okay, I'll bite (pun intended): what's a lawyer fly?

Q
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Beautiful location. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Pharmseller, its a blood sucking leech you have to keep a tight line cause 50% of the fish you hook get off! danny
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That looks like a slice of heaven!!! :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

game keeper wrote:
Hobie wrote:You'll soon be contacted for investigation on the charge of mental cruelty to old men stuck in Virginia.... :wink: :lol: That looks like a wonderful place and sounds like a great time!
+1 For old men stuck in the UK. :wink:

+ 2 - for some kid (compared to you codgers) stuck in Colombia... I miss the US mountains somethin' fierce. The Andes are OK, but they don't have the same feel as the good ol' Rockies...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BigSky56 wrote:The best way to catch those high mtn trout is spin gear with a clear bobber and a lawyer fly about 5 or 6' behind it. My hunting partner and I caught one about every cast, just put it out there and then slow slow retreive. they were running 10 to 14".
Back in the last millennium I was fishing up in the Collegiate range in CO. We cleaned up with Roostertails on the brookies - 8-12 inchers for the most part. I'd cast out into the beaver ponds and see them zooming in from all angles. I'd tried just 'bout everything else in the tackle box 'til we settled on Roostertails. Color didn't seem to matter that much. There's nothing like fresh brookies rolled in cornmeal and fried in bacon grease over an aspen fire...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Paul that lake was full of brookies too they were hitting on panther martins and roostertail mepps they were on the small side though the limit was 5 bows and cutts and 20 brookies. Just over the tree line in the photo and 500' higher was Upper Cedar twice the area of the lower lake. danny
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

AmBraCol - man your description and that photo hit my memory bank. Back in '68 my family backpacked into Pecos Baldy Lake in northern NM. We ate 12" rainbows fresh out of the water over an Aspen wood fire. I'd love to go back. :)
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck