44 SPECIAL USERS - A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

44 SPECIAL USERS - A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

Post by 86er »

Please let me know your likes and dislikes of this cartridge.

Any experience with it in a Bulldog revolver?

What factory load do you like for hunting and for defense? and why

Any pet handloads for hunting and another for defense?

Whatever else you can state about this cartridge or the Bulldog, both positive and negative.

Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 44 SPECIAL USERS - A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

Post by Gun Smith »

The only word of caution I have is to not reload the old balloon head cases, if you have any, as they are not as strong as the modern solid base case. Although Elmer Keith used this type of brass for some of his hotter loads due to the extra capacity available, modern powders now will give similar or better ballistics in the modern brass. But don't try to hotrod this caliber into 44 Magnum velocities and pressures that may be tempting just because high density powders are out there.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

This is a great cartridge Joe! It is easy to use, easy to handload for and there are some great options available in factory loads. I especially like it in the Colt SAA guns.

The Charter Bulldog is an excellent little backup or carry gun. I would not use it with heavy handloads however. In the 1980's we wrecked two of them using Keith's loads of Unique. (We did not use Maximum loads) The guns did not come apart, however the frames stretched enough to render them unserviceable. The 250 gr. bullet is just too heavy to be pushed in the small frame.

If you will note Buffalo Bore's website, they warn against using the heavy loads in the Bulldog. Buffalo Bore's 180 gr. load is a really nice self-defense load. It is not excessive - EXCEPT IN THE BULLDOG!

Stick with factory or factory level loads and the Bulldog is fine.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

86er wrote:Please let me know your likes and dislikes of this cartridge.

Any experience with it in a Bulldog revolver?

What factory load do you like for hunting and for defense? and why

Any pet handloads for hunting and another for defense?

Whatever else you can state about this cartridge or the Bulldog, both positive and negative.

Thanks
Joe,

You should read John Taffin on this subject. He really likes the Charter Arms Bulldogs and has several. He's really pumped about the .44 Special. Still, nothing he said about either is illogical or unreasonable. That's a lot of positive to me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Just FYI - My friend Mike wants me to get one. He and I spoke to Nick Eckert the owner of Charter Arms. Mike has shot 500 + rounds of 260 gr Hawk bullets at 950fps without a hint of a problem. I wouldn't shoot that much of that heavy but I would need to have a load to shoot animals at the ranch ( a finisher if wounded or not dead yet, not for hunting), a self-defense round to rely on, some practice ammo and "shotshells" for snakes. Looking for info and opinions to form a conclusion. I'll read some of Taffins stuff. Thanks
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have a new Charter Bull dog Pug. I like it very much. I Reload a Nosler 44 200 gr. with seven gr. of Unique. This is a very accurate load 750 fps coronographed and a SD of 4. I normally carry a cylinder of Winchester Silver Tips. I use the little Charter as a carry piece and do not shoot it much. The Charter will not hold up to a steady diet of shooting. Kinda like the old S&W model 19 .357, too much is not good. I also have a pair of Colt SAA's in 44-40, W/ seperate 44 special cylinders. These I use for Cowboy action.

The 44 is a great cartridge.

For addition information read: John Taffins "Book of the 44".
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

86er, both my wife and daughter use CA Bulldogs as CCW's. They use the 200 gr. Speer Gold Dot with 6.5 gr. Unique (velocity 700 fps) and, for practice, a 165 gr wad cutter (Lee mold) with 6.0 gr. Green Dot (velocity 825 fps). Both loads use RP brass and Federal 150 primers. Both loads are relatively mild.

Both of these guns are surprisingly accurate. They will consistently do about 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards bench rest, which is better than actually necessary for this type of gun, IMO.

My daughter, especially, shoots hers quite a bit. The majority is with the lead wad cutter load. She probably has 3000 rounds through hers and the little gun seems to be doing just fine. No increase looseness and accuracy is still as usual.

Personally, I like the 44 Special and the Bulldog. I bet you would be happy with one, especially for your intended purposes. I think there are some articles on GunBlast about the Bulldog that you might want to check out. As I recall they were positive.

See you next weekend on the Summer Safari.
Unreconstructed
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Joe,

I have a Taurus 431 (IIRC that's the model number) up north and it's a fine little packing pistol. It will put up with heavier loads than the Charter will and is about the size of a K frame S$W and carries five rounds of 44 spl. My favorite load in it is a 240 gr over a decent dose of Unique. Experience with factory ammo is limited, I carry a standard load and if I ever have to use it there'd be no problem. The issue of "no handloads" is over blown in my opinion. If it's a righteous shooting your choice of ammo would not be a problem. If it's NOT, then your choice of ammo is the least of your worries. Anyway, take a look around and see if you can find an older Taurus with no ports or key lock - they're a great packin' pistol that's a better packin' pistol than the Charter in my opinion. We were doing some plinking at 250 yards (laser rangefinder confirmed) a couple years ago. The lil' popper would lay them right in where we were holding as long as we did our part. Not to shabby for a 3" barrel and mild loads.

The recommendation above of looking up some of John Taffin's work on the 44 spl is a good one. He's a life long aficionado of the 44 spl and knows whereof he speaks.

Stay away from Skeeter Skelton's cow killing load though... no matter WHAT you're shooting them out of...

:shock: :D :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

86er,

I have an old Gun Digest that has an article about the Bulldog, written by Mic McPherson. His family loves them. They shot "warm" loads through one of them, and broke something. Charter upgraded the gun, and fixed it for free. Charter neglected to heat-treat a part, and used that as a reason to fix the gun for free, even though they knew that Mic was "hotrodding" his ammo.

Here is more from Mr. McPherson:

http://www.levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

86er -- I don't have the experience of others here on the forum, I'm just a pup when it comes to gun knowledge, but I love the cartridge out of my Ruger SAs. Accurate, easy recoil, and from what I've read, a great SD round even at the lower velocities. I will say I like the option of using .44mag in my Rugers for hunting, and I can load the .44mag up or down (to .44 special levels). For your work on the ranch/preserve it seems like a good match.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

S&W also made an L frame 44 special that is a solid piece, if you can find one.

Those who own the Smith & the Taurus sure like them as there are not many used on the market.

The new Charters are better made than the older models, I have one in stainless.
SASS# 51223

CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Funny, I just walked out of Dixie Gun Works with a new .44Spl. A Uberti Bisley 4 3/4". It's a great old cartridge! Unfortunately it doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's extremely well balanced, versatile and powerful in appropriate sixguns. There is not a thing wrong with using the old Skeeter and Keith loads in appropriate sixguns. The Bulldog just isn't one of them. Post-war Colt SAA's, replicas like my new Bisley, post-war N-frames and custom Old Model Ruger .357 Blackhawks are all plenty strong for such loads. I mostly use the Skeeter 7.5gr Unique load under either a commercial 240gr SWC, Keith 250gr, or Speer 225gr SWC/HP.

You definitely need to read some Taffin.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have an old Charter Target Bulldog 4 inch from the early 1980's. I bought it from a friend close to 25 years ago and I would not sell for any price. That is one fine shooting .44,100 yard plinking is a simple thing with it, and with the shotshells I reload for it makes a good snake gun. I don't think that an old Colt SAA .44spl will fall in my lap so I'll just stick with my Charter.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's my Smith 696 - great revolver! I had to swtich to the hand-filling grips though as the issue ones really battered my hand! I shoot 44 Mag and other stout revolvers but the shape of this round butt hurt! The straight back grips really make a difference and make it joy to shoot.

As far as the standard loadings (240 or 250 grain bullets at 800 fps or so) think "45 ACP". Very similar in all respects.

I like W231 with hard cast bullets for practice and plinking. 7.5 Grains of Unique under a 240 grain hard cast bullet gives 950 fps and is a good hunting load. The classic beefed up load is 18 grains of Alliant 2400 for 1200 fps but that's too hot for the bulldog or most 44 Special revolvers. However, 15 grains of Alliant 2400 under a 250 grain hard cast gc bullet give 1050 fps or so and is also a great hunting load. Really though, 900-950 fps will do just dandy on whitetail giving complete penetration.

Here's a great link with a lot of load info on the 44 Special and others: http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/defau ... er&Source=
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

My advice is:

IF you are left handed and IF you have Barami Hip Grip installed and IF you choose to shoot CorBon ammo in it...

...don't rest your thumb on the 'belt hook' extension of the Barami Hip Grip.

P.S.: If anyone is looking for a pair of Barami Hip Grips in black to fit a Charter Bulldog .44, let me know, I think I know where there is a pair available.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Lighter bullets are the way to go in the Charter. I had one of the orignal 3" barrels and shot it a fair amount. Basically, with bullets up to about 200-220gr and speeds of 700-800fps everything was under control. 240 and 250gr bullets at almost any speed gave enough recoil that repeat shots were problematic. The old Skeeter load of a 250gr bullet over 7.5gr of Unique would bring tears to the eyes of most .44 mag lovers and would quickly become a NO-NO.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had one in the little Taurus 3" five shooter, I don't recall the model #. It shot very well with the 200 gr. Speer and Unique loaded to about 800-850 fps. That's one of those that I wish I still had.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6000 rds through this one. Loads from mild to hot, 750 fps to 1250 fps. Find the load you like. This is my favorite handgun cartridge.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

More 44 Specials.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I used to have a Lew Horton 3 inch Smith with Fuzzy Farrant grips
was my go to camp gun. I loaded it with 210 Sierra JHC and 7.5 gr Unique.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I've owned a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog since 1977. It has ridden several hundred thousand miles with me in boot, pocket, belt holster or glove compartment. My revolver has an incredibly smooth, trigger, with a very light single-action, as well as a fairly light double-action trigger. Some folks tell me they've never encountered another Charter trigger as smooth or light.

It is not a hunting handgun by any stretch of the imagination, but that gaping hole in the end of the muzzle with the ends of Winchester Silvertips grinning around it certainly grab a person's attention immediately. And though very light and packable, which makes recoil pretty derned stout, if you hold it just right, and swing it with enough force, the cylinder will knock teeth out of a careless drunk.

In factory form, the .44 SPL is not a hunting cartridge. And a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog will not hold up to a steady diet of hunting handloads. Frankly I see no use in trying to make a .44 &W SPL into a hunting cartridge since the advent of the .44 RemMag.

I have used the old standby load of 7.5 grains of Unique with a CCI 200 primer and a 240 gr. SWC for years. Since Unique has been reformulated, I believe that 7.0 grains is the recommended maximum load. In my Italian SAA .44 SPL, 7.5 gr. of Unique will produce 950 fps.

I've never owned a target sighted revolver in .44 SPL, so I can't verify the old claim that the .44 SPL is the most accurate target revolver. All I can say with honesty is that with good bullets, my 3" and 4.75" fixed sighted .44 SPL's offer combat acceptable accuracy, i.e. less than 3" at 25 yards.

I'd love to see someone offer a .44 SPL load that throws a 240 - 250 gr. SWC at around 900-950 FPS from a #" or $" barrel. It would give the .357 Magnum a run for its money as best manstopper.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

86er wrote:Just FYI - My friend Mike wants me to get one. He and I spoke to Nick Eckert the owner of Charter Arms. Mike has shot 500 + rounds of 260 gr Hawk bullets at 950fps without a hint of a problem. I wouldn't shoot that much of that heavy but I would need to have a load to shoot animals at the ranch ( a finisher if wounded or not dead yet, not for hunting), a self-defense round to rely on, some practice ammo and "shotshells" for snakes. Looking for info and opinions to form a conclusion. I'll read some of Taffins stuff. Thanks
If you are looking for a sixgun to keep a PO'd steer, or a wounded buffalo from stomping you, you don't need a Charger Bulldog, and I'm afraid you don't need a .44 SPL. IMO, you need a .44 RemMag, or a heavy loaded .45 LC. If you are going to ask a .44 SPL to do a .44 RemMag's job, you might as well pack the Magnum.

That is just my opinion, and you know what everyone says about opinions.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Great advice from all above. I personally think the 44 Special is a terrific
self-defense cartridge, and really underrated. Like the 45 ACP, it' s not the
most powerful round on the block, but it does make a big hole.

I like a 240gr. JHP over 6.3 gr of 231. That's very pleasant to shoot out
of a big Dan Wesson 44 Mag. Accurate, too - and methinks plenty for
social work. Like others have said, use the 44 Mag if you need 44 Mag
power.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have one of the Smith & Wesson Thunder Ranch models. Other than needing to add a set of target grips and having the fixed sights regulated for a 250 grain bullet at 850fps it is great. I would rather be shooting the 250 grainer at about 900 to 1000 fps.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

I have a charter arms bulldog 44 spec. that ive had since 1977. i like it really well but the gun hurts my hand when shooting even the lightest loads. also, my gun will key hole swc design bullets at 25 yards.
g rice
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

I have a mod 24 Smith 3" barrel Lew Horton 1 of 250. shoots really great. Have only shot Rem factory ammo
in it. Points good but nothing like a Colt SAA.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Can't comment on factory ammo, I've never bought any.

For N-frames, my "everyday" load is 7.5 Unique with a commercial 240 swc or home cast 250 Keiths, both shoot very well. I've done up some light loads with Bullseye & 200 RNFP's for bunnies 'n such but haven't used them outside the range.

A buddy has a Bulldog, we loaded up a bunch of 240 swc's with 5.5 W231 that worked nice in it. Easy on your hand and they smacked steel plates satisfactorily.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I have an original Charter Arms Bulldog from the mid-1970's. I've fed it hot loads (250 gr. Fed FJP bullet with good charge of 2400). Shortly broke the transfer bar and returned it to the factory. They replaced the cylinder (which would chamber a .44 mag) and some of the work they did made it less smooth than before.

It's still a great gun and I've carried it lots of miles in the forests while hunting with my rifle. It was for "whatever" in that mode. I stopped hotrodding it and settled on Skeeter's Charter Bulldog load--6.3 of Unique and a 240 gr. LSWC.

If you take a deburring tool and ream the very soft Hornady swaged SWC HP out you can get pretty good expansion. It turns out a Hornady tech I spoke to some years back did the same thing, so I guess I'm in pretty good company.

I can't shoot lighter bullets in mine as they don't shoot to POA.

In short, I love it and it's a perfect tool for a lot of jobs.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Rod WMG wrote:If you take a deburring tool and ream the very soft Hornady swaged SWC HP out you can get pretty good expansion. It turns out a Hornady tech I spoke to some years back did the same thing, so I guess I'm in pretty good company.

Hmmm.... now you've gone done tickled my fancy so to speak. I'm going to have to file that piece of info away for future reference. I've never tried the Hornady swaged HP's in 44 before, but will definitely give them a look. It should work fine for other calibers as well I suppose, depending on the meplat, etc...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I have several .44 specials and have been shooting the round for years and like most here , I have great respect for the .44spl in a full size gun (Colt SAA size, Ruger mid-frame size conversion, USFA, S&W). I do not share the love of the Charter arms guns though, I have had a few and although they do sometimes have very smooth actions, the Charters I have had were not made very well and certainly are not heavy enough to make the most of the .44spl in the outdoor/hunting role you are considering it for. I would liken their quality to an Italian replica somewhere just below a Taurus. I would try and find a USFA or similiar sized gun so you can make the most of the .44spl. One option that may work would be to buy a 50th anniversary .44 Ruger and shorten the bbl back to 4", you can pick these up for the same price as a Charter and they are twice the gun and have adjustable sights. There is a guy selling some on our sister singleactions site for right at $400 shipped. Or pick up a Ruger NV in .45 Colt 4 5/8" bbl , these guns are bulit pretty stout even though they are on a smaller size frame and will easily take loads in the 24-26k pressure range, this will give you a 265gr Keith at about 1050fps with no problem and the .45 colt would also allow for a slightly better shot shell load. Good luck
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I have several handguns I like a lot but my favorite to shoot is a Rossi 720, no longer made but I have two of them. It's what the 696 should have been, a 3" 5-shot K-frame-sized .44 Spl with adjustable RR/WO sights.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Idahoser wrote:I have several handguns I like a lot but my favorite to shoot is a Rossi 720, no longer made but I have two of them. It's what the 696 should have been, a 3" 5-shot K-frame-sized .44 Spl with adjustable RR/WO sights.
I have been looking for one of these, some day I will find one. And yes they are nicer than the S&W696. :wink:
SASS# 51223

CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

In a moment of weakness, I traded my S & W 696 for a Coyote-Cap tweaked Winchester 97. I love the 97 but I have regretted losing the 696 ever since !

I do have one of the Rossi 720's, and it is a corker ! It's the second revolver I ever bought, (After a Uberti 45 ) and it is indeed a handier gun then the 696. I think I paid $200 NIB for it back in 1992 or 1993.

My standard 'woods' load is a Berry 240-gr plated SWC over 6.5 gr of Universal. I also have a Lyman mould for the Thompson 245-gr gas check. I really don't need a gas check at .44 special velocities, but the bullet is very accurate cast from No 2 alloy over 7.5 gr of Unique or the same charge of Universal. Now, don't get me wrong--it kicks. But it isn't prohibitive. I've also shot the Blazer 200-gr JHP, and groups open up a bit--my gun definately prefers lead bullets to jacketed.

And in the spring and summer I throw a couple of CCI shotshells in the first two chambers in case I run into snakes in my meanderings.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

86er, why don't you look at a Ruger Alaskan in .44 Mag? Short barrel, stainless steel, able to handle anything you can reasonably shoot out of it, adjustable sights, and Mike Rintoul could easily find a load with Cast Performance bullets which should do exactly what you are looking for with a modest kick. Plus, you could find ammunition for it anywhere in North America. Maybe Smith & Wesson has a lighter version of the Model 29 which would do even better. You don't want to go with the heaviest and fastest possible load in a light revolver as the kick would be harsh. As a professional guide, you shoot a lot anyway, and there is no point in punishing yourself.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The .44 Special is my favorite cartridge.

Even factory loads out of a Charter Arms Bulldog will punch a big hole in the belly. But I would not push a Bulldog any harder.

Kick it up to a 255 gr Keith bullet sized to .430 over 7.5 gr of Unique and put it in a little bigger gun (SAA or N Frame) and you have one of the most useful sixgun loads of all time. More powerful than a factory .45 ACP and equal to a factory .45 Colt but with better penetration. I don't know a revolver in .44 Special or Magnum that does not shoot this load well.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

+1 of most everything said. My Charter 2000 44 Spl is one of two carry - the other 45ACP Kimber Compact CDP- guns. Light loads for practice and factory SWC HP for attitude control.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I've had a Ruger new model Flattop Blackhawk in 44 spl. for a year or so. It's the short 4.62 in barrel and it's quite a shooter with factory ammo. I've only put about 300 round's thru it so far. Mostly Black Hill's, Bullseye, and Federal's. The Federal classic 200 gr. semi wadcutter hollow point's are spot on for accuracy! The 44 spl. is quite a fun round to shoot! It's not to hot, but you know when your shooting it. My Marin 1894 44 mag. also handles the 44 spl. fairly well! I'm looking forward to shooting this quality round for years to come! Now if I could just find a nice older S&W in 44 spl.!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Talk about resurrecting an old thread. That's a real blast from the past! And like lots of other posts here on the Leverguns Community, well worth re-reading. Interesting bits of info that are timely for folks just getting into the cartridge. I wonder how many are experiencing the 44 SPL for the first time due to the Jeff Quinn GP100 Rugers that just hit the market.
Paul - in Pereira

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

IDK, but my house load in the redhawk is 44 spcl hollow points. to reduce penetration . . .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Been shooting the 44 Spl since 1989. One Model 24 has over 6,000 rds through it from about 750-1250 fps. It is my favorite hand gun cartridge. Here are a few of mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Now Fred....you knew I couldn't hold off much longer. :D

7 o'clock......Smith Triple lock Target of Captain Herreshoff America's Cup fame. (1913) , model 24 4", (80's) model 624 6.5", (80's) original 1950 Target 6.5", (1955) Colt Shooting Master with extra factory fitted cylinder and crane in 44-40, (1933) and in the middle a single action New Frontier Colt with an extra 44-40 Colt cylinder and factory elephant ivories (1979)

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is some good stuff there !!!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Now...tell me something I didn't know! :D YOU WOULD CRY if you knew what I paid for this stuff. ....nuttin' ....all gifts from above.

The Good Lord put that giant funnel in the sky over my house for a reason.....He even put a sign on it, "Dump fine American firearms here, but put lots of bubble wrap on em."

Here the Good Lord is having his workers drop me off a few like new 1873's...gingerly side stepping the house.------006

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah Six ya got some nice ones there but I got one of a kind 44 special... you know what I'm talking about ! :D

The Charter Bulldog was a carry gun of one of my college friends- till he bought a Glock 20, then it lived in a shoulder rig as his backup.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:53 pm Yeah Six ya got some nice ones there but I got one of a kind 44 special... you know what I'm talking about ! :D

The Charter Bulldog was a carry gun of one of my college friends- till he bought a Glock 20, then it lived in a shoulder rig as his backup.

Hey! I'm fillin' in for ole Six.....he says to tell you he want to see some pics of that one of a kind charm.......for real, a gun like that would make a real deal top magazine article seller......front page.....a billion people would buy it.....

I'll tell Six and he will be waitin'

Charter Arms Bulldogs are great carry guns but they need some slickîng up....they also get loose fast...I had one to where it had AK 47 tolerances.......but in fairness they were not designed to be a continuous shooter.

One of the sickest wacko's in the world of dat gun was the "Son of Sam". I'm surprised DeBlasio hasn't set him free
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok Jaybird, show these to your crony Sixgun-
20210224_174024.jpg
20210224_173738.jpg
20210224_173722.jpg
20210224_173712.jpg
As I've mentioned this started out as a 32 h&r mag. John Gallagher(RIP) and I did this when we were in gummsmiff skool. As far as I know this is the ONLY one. John did a few 41 specials later.
20210224_173748.jpg
20210224_173834.jpg
Next to my model 66 for scale, the Lacewood grips i made for it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had to open the frame some, the diameter of the 44 cylinder required it. 4&1/2" barrel . While I lived in CO this lived in my fishing vest, lots of bears where I fished.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I tell ya...I like that....a lot.......

I can only imagine what it took to do that...6 shot to 5 shot...new barrel? What's the finish...looks like it's parkerized.....

Do you mind if Jay stops by?......you know, with the big coat....the one with the deep pockets?

Thanks bud...that is an appreciable gun.
Model A Uzi’s
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Reading about all this 44 special stuff makes me want a lever gun to shoot them out of. This urge to have one keeps resurfacing
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, the converting from 6 to 5 shot is more hand( pawl) work than anything else. The steps get changed to lift the ratchet on the cylinder. Pretty simple.

44 special is just that- special. Everyone should have one. That new Ruger listed on another post would be the ticket!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!