OT: Small Carry Gun - What do recommend?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Small Carry Gun - What do recommend?

Post by Blackhawk »

Thinking about asking for a small carry gun for Christmas. I currently carry an XD9 and would consider somthing smaller. I had a M85 for a short while some years back but traded it in on a 1895G. Picked up a G36 the other day in the gunshop and liked the feel of the semiauto. Also like the feel of the SP101 but was thinking more along the lines of a 3" model in 357 but none were in the shop. Several S&W's looked at online but have yet to get my hands on one.

What do you carry and why? Or recommend?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Small Carry Gun - What do recommend?

Post by Haycock »

Blackhawk wrote:Thinking about asking for a small carry gun for Christmas. I currently carry an XD9 and would consider somthing smaller. I had a M85 for a short while some years back but traded it in on a 1895G. Picked up a G36 the other day in the gunshop and liked the feel of the semiauto. Also like the feel of the SP101 but was thinking more along the lines of a 3" model in 357 but none were in the shop. Several S&W's looked at online but have yet to get my hands on one.

What do you carry and why? Or recommend?

Johnny
S&W 36-1 (heavy barrel) .38 loaded w/ BufBore .38 #20C 158gr SWC-HC (or, if the agenda is a woods-tromp, 1 CCI #9 Shotshell + 4 BufBore #20Cs).

I also have a Kimber Ultra CDP II and am carrying it more and more while out and about in town and city, but I still carry the S&W often and always select it for a "kit gun" need (as I define it, a woods-carry gun).

Reasons for each:

- SA trigger, rate of fire/reload and stopping power better on the 1911 for city-ish situations (no chance of mud, etc. affecting reliability).

- Reliability, reliability, reliability for woods-ish situations (decent chance of mud, etc. affecting reliability) better on the 36-1.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

In the warmer times I wear jeans or shorts and a t-shirt. I crawl under houses and in attics. I chose a gun that I can carry always. I was finding that my J-frame Smith was getting left in the truck, right beside the rifle I would be trying to get back to should I ever need to defend myself.

So I chose a gun I will carry at all times, even when I'm carrying something larger.

Kel-Tec P3AT and an armalaser, with two extra mags.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My usual carry pistols are a Glock 26 or a NAA .22 revolver.
Occasionally an S&W 66/ .357 with a 2 1/2" barrel.
I've had several S&W J frames in 38 & 32 H&R but they just don't fit my hand well enough to shoot them properly unless fitted with a large grip.

The G26 grips and shoots really well for me as does my G19 and I can hide it just as easily as a small frame Smith. I've put 5000+ rounds through the Glocks with one failure to eject.

I have been and forever be a 1911 guy but I sure do love my ugly little plastic pistols :D

jb 8)

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of those little Ruger LCPs!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

642 'Smith---Fits right in my back pocket (or front pocket) and glides out like greased lightning. No hammer to snag on anything, no safeties to think about, nice and light, and goes, "BANG" everytime. If for some weird reason, a cartridge misfires, just pull the trigger again---no slide to rack----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I was wondering how most carry a small revolver. Is in the front or back pocket fairly common practice? Obviously(sp) dependent on model but a hammerless revolver would seem to work. Thinking of that I wonder if it would work on a smaller guy. I stand 5'5" and weight 165lbs. My jeans are usually fairly snug, one reason I was thinking of a smaller gun. But anything that gets put in my pockets usually gives a profile, even my wallet.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Haycock,

How do you carry your S&W 36? Holster and position?

Johnny

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Blackhawk
I have carried off duty for many years. At first I carried full size pistols and found it wasn't practical, (Hey, I was new). Since then I have bought numerous guns for concealed carry including revolvers and baby Glocks. They always seemed to stick out and more often than not, after a month or so, I would just take them with me and leave them in the car, which defeats the purpose. Last year I splurged and bought a Springfield EMP after testing one. I love this gun. It's very accurate, holds 9+1 and sits tight against the body with the plastic holster it comes with. With shorts and a t-shirt, it unnoticeable. I just ordered a Kramer holster which will be even better. Everyone is different when it comes to concealed carry. Just keep on checking
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Blackhawk wrote:Haycock,

How do you carry your S&W 36? Holster and position?

Johnny
Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster with detachable IWB loops (Rob calls them "inside out loops/straps"). Inside the pants for regular carry and outside for woodsy time. Roughly 4:00 in both cases, canted a bit per the double-slot design of the leather.

One point... my 36-1 is a round-butt, which makes a big comfort difference (for me) compared to a 36 square butt. The longer barrel of the -1 actually stabilizes the whole setup, too.

IIRC, it was Hobie who turned me on to the virtues of the SR rig.

Also, Rob Leahy (owner, SR) is a forum member and a really straight-up guy.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/leather_goods/index.html

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ruger SP101 .357 (you can still shoot .38's) or
Para P-12 (hi-cap officer model 1911 clone).

One's round, the other's flat, but they both cure the copper/lead deficiency which is endemic in the violent criminal's system, should one's actions become a threat to your life.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

My situation is similar to many I read here: a larger firearm gets left in the car/at home in warmer weather.
My favorite carry piece is my Browning model 71 in .348. Since this is impractical in most environments I went to a Glock 19. During the summer I wear dress slacks and no coat, so even an IWB holster wouldn't work. I decided that anything was better than nothing so I bought a Beretta 21A.

http://www.mouseguns.com/beretta/mb21a.htm

This little handgun is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. I know, a .22 is hardly the caliber of choice. IN MY SITUATION it is the best choice only because anything larger is too big.

Also, from what I've read the right .22 can be very devastating, sometimes even more than a .380.

The main statement is I will have this gun on me always.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

[quote="pharmseller"]
http://www.mouseguns.com/beretta/mb21a.htm

This little handgun is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. I know, a .22 is hardly the caliber of choice. IN MY SITUATION it is the best choice only because anything larger is too big.

Also, from what I've read the right .22 can be very devastating, sometimes even more than a .380.

The main statement is I will have this gun on me always.

It's better to have a small .22 on you than a .45 in the car. Plus a .22 in the brain housing group is better than a .45 to the foot for stopping an attack. It's all about bullet placement.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i have three carry pistols: The one that fits your thinking is the S&W 3" model 60 pro, in .357. I carry in it Remington 158gr LSWC HP. This is a flat sided barrel and has a tritium dot front sight, with adjustable rear. This is the perfect (IMO) woods carry pistol. Very light, but the three inch barrel with adjustable sights and in the .38 and .357 cartridge, plus the night sights, makes it a great versatile pistol. The other two, are a rohrbaugh 9mm. At 12 ozs it is the lightest 9mm pistol. It disappears in my jeans pocket. The final carry pistol is my Bond derringer in 45lc/.410 that I carry more and more every week. If I would use just one, it would be the model 60 pro due to its versatility. The 9mm is a 7 shot ss pistol, the model 60 is a 5 shot ss revolver, and the derringer is a two shot ss pistol. I would obviously recommend a ss handgun for carry.

I carry the smith on strong side hip in a number of holsters, the rohrbaugh goes in my right rear pocket with its holster, and the .45 derringer has its own holster and goes behind my leatherman wave.

Last edited by rjohns94 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Usually I'll have my PPK. If my clothing permits it, I will carry a Glock 19 instead. I like the PPK, but it's size to weight ratio isn't the best. I've really been eyeing that new little Ruger 380. I need to get my hands on one to see how they compare to the KelTec P3AT.
NRA Life Member
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

A lot of guys over at the RugerForum love their SP101.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I paid good money for a S&W 642... Just realized I need a photo of the gun and the pocket holster!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, but when one get to a "certain age", i.e. old enough to carry, it's time to start wearing Docker slacks, etc, and other, looser-fitting clothing.

On a bet, I once walked into a gunshop with a full-sized DB shotgun concealed in my clothing - the next day after I had semanticized back & forth with the shop owner that most anything could be concealed, if it was done correctly.
Their collective jaws hit the counters, when I whipped it on 'em.

Bottom line - be ready when others aren't.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Consider either of these, if you're going 'down' to a .22LR - they're not much bigger, but a bit more powerful...

.380 ACP Guardian - http://www.naaminis.com/380.html
.32 ACP Guardian - http://www.naaminis.com/guard.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Revolver: S&W 432PD - .32 H&R Mag. - small (J) - 6 shots, one of the Airweights - so light. Still won't punish you (the shooter) like a same format .38 will. Nice potent little package and no hammer to snag.
Semi-Auto: Bersa Thunder .380 Auto
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have a couple of J frames and a Ruger LCP. The Ruger hides much better and is a hoot to shoot. It does well at the distances it was meant for and functions flawlessly. Front or back pocket is hardly noticeable. Magazines are about 25.00 if you want an extra as the gun comes with only one. The Ruger is a little more refined than the Keltecs.

TomF
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like I am in good company:

Right now, the PPK clone (FEG) in .380ACP, because most times I am in jeans and a t-shirt or polo-shirt;

When the weather lets me wear a little more, it is the Para P12.45. You have to love the "flying ashtrays"! :D

In between I will sometimes carry my Rossi Model 877 - a 2-inch stainless snubbie in .357 Magnum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

PM9. Can't afford a Rohrbaugh, and I see no reason to carry any .380 when the PM9 is smaller & lighter (except for the P3AT) Works 10 months of the year...the other two, P3AT or the new Kahr .380.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

It depends on reason for carry, where you are going, and weather. The larger firearm you can carry the better, if you have to use it. An issue SIG 229 in .357 Sig is sometimes too small. But still checked a lot of deaths where the .22 Lr worked fine. Bottom line, try a few at a range that you can rent or go with someone and try some models they own. Then get something that feels good in your hand, practice with it, and hope you don’t have to use it.
It is not the critic who counts
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

keltec"s pf-9 and their .32. glock 26 or 27. have fun trying them all.
black tail
Levergunner

Post by black tail »

This is what my mom carries, she is a small 62 year old lady and she loves to shoot it too, it is a Taurus, do not remember the model
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I wanted a lighter carry, for summertime, so I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT. I had to get rid of it because when I drew it, out of my pocket, my right thumb automatically hit the mag release.

Like Hobie, I'm sticking with my 642 Airweight. It fits in my front pocket fine, albeit a little bulky. I've always owned revolvers. I just haven't found a semi, even for target, that I feel comfortable with. I did like the feel of a Les Baer, but it was way out of my price range.

I like the idea of one of those .357 or .44 mag Bond Arms derringers. If you miss and the muzzle flash doesn't set them on fire, then you have a good set of brass knuckles. :)
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The bond derringer with .410 3" buck gives you 10 .38 cal balls on target!!!!!!! :D :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I am a "portly" gentleman :D well i am 5'11 and overweight. suprisingly this has helped me with concealed carry. I have a "belly band" holster that is actually more comfortable up in the chest area. With this I can carry Glock 19 size weapons. I alse use a Fanny Pack holster. I know this look kinda wierd but I have only been pegged as carrrying by a pawn shop owner once. most folks dont even notice. I also have gotten into carrying a Berretta 21A as a second pistol. This also is a great little gun when I am in the front yard etc... When it comes to "What do you carry" I carry what ever I can when I can. :lol:
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

505stevec wrote:I am a "portly" gentleman :D well i am 5'11 and overweight. suprisingly this has helped me with concealed carry. I have a "belly band" holster that is actually more comfortable up in the chest area. With this I can carry Glock 19 size weapons. I alse use a Fanny Pack holster. I know this look kinda wierd but I have only been pegged as carrrying by a pawn shop owner once. most folks dont even notice. I also have gotten into carrying a Berretta 21A as a second pistol. This also is a great little gun when I am in the front yard etc... When it comes to "What do you carry" I carry what ever I can when I can. :lol:
Have to tell you, I assume that every adult male I see who is carrying a fanny-pack has a weapon inside it.

Haycock
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Haycock wrote:[
Have to tell you, I assume that every adult male I see who is carrying a fanny-pack has a weapon inside it.
Haycock
I'll never forget the look on the guy's face when I asked him what caliber he carried, in his fanny pack. He asked how I knew he was carrying. "Wallet in your back pocket, keys jingling in your front pocket with change, and you have the standard black leather "I'm carrying a gun" fanny pack." :D He never knew it was that obvious.....to some of us. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

alnitak wrote:PM9. Can't afford a Rohrbaugh, and I see no reason to carry any .380 when the PM9 is smaller & lighter (except for the P3AT) Works 10 months of the year...the other two, P3AT or the new Kahr .380.
Have the Kahr P380s shipped yet? I would like to get my hands on one of those. I like the way it looks and it even has sights you don't need a microscope for! :D

It does costs a lot though. :cry:
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Haycock wrote:
505stevec wrote:I am a "portly" gentleman :D well i am 5'11 and overweight. suprisingly this has helped me with concealed carry. I have a "belly band" holster that is actually more comfortable up in the chest area. With this I can carry Glock 19 size weapons. I alse use a Fanny Pack holster. I know this look kinda wierd but I have only been pegged as carrrying by a pawn shop owner once. most folks dont even notice. I also have gotten into carrying a Berretta 21A as a second pistol. This also is a great little gun when I am in the front yard etc... When it comes to "What do you carry" I carry what ever I can when I can. :lol:

Haycock
You know? I guess I really dont care if they know I'm carrying or not. I usually use the fanny pack on duty but have taken it with me out of town on several occassions. It wears well and is fairly easy to get the pistol out. If some one asked me what caliber I carry I would tell them "nonya".
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

505stevec wrote:
Haycock wrote:

Haycock
You know? I guess I really dont care if they know I'm carrying or not. I usually use the fanny pack on duty but have taken it with me out of town on several occassions. It wears well and is fairly easy to get the pistol out. If some one asked me what caliber I carry I would tell them "nonya".

Never underestimate the power of deterrence!

Haycock
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I say S&W 649. 357mag. O, my favorite is a 649 s&w. I would also recommend a s&w 649. :mrgreen: I've tried some bigger auto's ,and Hated'em. 380 and 9mm are not big enough for a big doped up hoodlum. :wink: My 649 fits nicely on my side w/+p loads.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Before committing to ANYTHING try it out first! I fell in love with J frames and bought three over a several month period only to find out I shot ALL of them SEVERAL inches high and to the right at 7 yds when I finally made it to the range even thought they all had different grips. I don't do this with other small weapons, just J frames. :?

Bought a CZ82 in 9 Mak, fired my Dad's CZ83 in .380 and a buddy traded me his AMT Backup in .380 recently. I can ring the 25yd gong at the range with all three if I pay attention. Haven't tried them at sub-25yd ranges yet but I don't see a problem.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Kel-Tec .380 in a Grandfather Oak pocket holster. Because it will go with me when others will stay at home due to size and wieght.
Zack
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This is my S&W 442, I carry it in a DeSantis pocket holster whenever I'm wearing pants. The weight difference between it and my old Colt Detective's Special makes all the difference in the world for me for daily carry. The Colt was only occasionally carried. I won't get in to a revolver vs. auto debate or a caliber debate, but get something you can comfortably carry all the time.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

First of all, get a belt. Aker made the one I have, it's black, I need to get a brown one so I can use it all the time regardless what I'm wearing. It's not a half-inch thick double layer leather belt that would scream "GUN" but rather a thin leather cover over a plastic strip, does the job without looking like a gun belt.

Second, I HAVE a Kel-Tec. I WANT a 442. This for pocket carry.

If you can comfortably carry on the belt, then do it. My wardrobe and weather don't encourage this.

The Kel-Tec is what you carry when you can't carry a gun.
Last edited by Idahoser on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Here is the result of my experience in gun carrying. You have two choices:

1. Carry a gun in some kind of holster either inside or outside the belt. To do this you need a a good belt. If you are young and fit inside is the way to go, but if you have love handles outside is better. If you are going to wear a belt and holster you might as well have a gun like a Glock 26, 3" barrel Smith J frame like a Model 36, or a 3" barrel Smith K frame like a Model 65. There are plenty of good, used 3" Smiths floating around. Here is a 3" Model 36 my wife used to carry. Now she usually carries a Ruger LCP inside the belt.

2. Carry a gun in your pocket. To do this you need a gun like a Smith 642 and a pocket holster like a Kramer or Uncle Mikes. The problem is it doesn't work well with jeans. The pockets are too tight. Even if the gun will go in the pocket it is too hard (slow) to get it out. If you wear Docker type pants or BDU pants you are OK. The small autos like the KelTec and new Ruger LCP are another option for pocket carry. I seldom wear jeans anymore. I wear khaki BDU pants in place of them. I carry this all steel gun in my pocket all day, every day in a Kramer holster.

The big thing is whether or not you have to tuck your shirt in and whether it matters if your gun shows sometimes. If you have to dress neat and be discreet pocket is the way to go. If you can untuck your shirt and it doesn't matter if the bottom of your holster shows every once in a while a Glock 26 outside the belt is quite a weapon. A little revolver is easier to hide though.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I usually have my Kel-Tec .380 along. I also tried the regular Taurus 85 and the Glock 23. The Kel-Tec has the most carrying miles on it. with it's holster, the whole package is smaller and lighter than my wallet.

A cold steel knife is almost always along also...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

After thinking about this alot over the weekend it seems that clothing is one major factor in what can and can't be carried. I've given consideration to try and start wearing a BDU type pants. I get away with jeans, a polo/collared shirt with work boots or a loafer style shoe at work so a BDU style pants should not be a problem. Couple that with a small framed revolver and I should be set even if a larger framed auto is needed. Also seeing Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch's attire on a shooting show this weekend seems to make sense.

Johnny

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have had great luck with Propper brand BDU pants from BDU.com. They have every color and size. I like the cotton/polyester blend ones. The twill proabably look nicer.
If you get a Smith 642 and an Uncle Mike nylon pocket holster you would be set with some BDUs.

http://www.bdu.com/
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Dave,

Thank you for the link.

Johnny

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

+1 on the Propper brand BDUs, I don't like Tru-Spec brand. You might also consider 5.11 tactical pants or similar. I normally wear standard cargo pants or carpenter style jeans for a less militant look. By the way my J-frame rides in my front right pocket in the pocket holster. If I get in an uncomfortable situation I can casually slide both hands in my front pockets and get a grip on my J-frame with my right hand. Then I feel all warm and fuzzy.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Well, I suppose the dress code is different for different kinds of jobs. Me, I have to wear slacks or a suit depending on the time of year. Even in a suit I almost never wear the jacket.

So I use the belt to hold up my pants, but I'm saying the Aker gun belt does that better with a bunch of stuff in my pockets even though I don't have a holster on it.

I've thought about a 'push up' type and I've tried a Pager Pal, but I'm USING a pocket holster with my Kel-Tec and will with the 442 if I ever find one and have money at the same time.

But it IS a last resort, wish-I-had-a-real-gun backup to the backup type of gun, I just can't manage bigger on me dressed this way. I do have bigger in the vicinity, of course.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

TomF wrote: Ruger LCP. The Ruger hides much better and is a hoot to shoot. It does well at the distances it was meant for and functions flawlessly. Front or back pocket is hardly noticeable. Magazines are about 25.00 if you want an extra as the gun comes with only one. The Ruger is a little more refined than the Keltecs.

TomF
Just saw one of these Ruger LCPs. Wow! I think Ruger has a runaway success on their hands, I gotta have one! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Let me rephrase this.

The Ruger looks like a copy of the PF-9. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Johnny,

I've not read all the posts, so I might be repeating advise from others, or I might be going against the stream, but here goes with my thought on small pocket gun.

In over 30 years of packing a handgun on a daily basis, I've come to a conclusion. The very best pocket revolvers made are the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard Series and the Centennial Series. The Bodyguards (M-49, M-638, and M-649) are shrouded hammer five-shot J-Frames available in both .38 SPL and .357 Magnum. The Centennials (M-40, M-638, and M-640) also available in .38 SPL and .357 Magnum, are true hammerless, double-action only revolvers. Both the Bodyguards and Centennials offer a snag-free draw from pocket, purse, or sporran, and both can be fired without drawing if the rotary oscillating air displacement unit is contaminated with fecal material to the point you don't have time or room to draw.

Blast and recoil from these little poppers is to say the least robust, very robust when using full power .357 Mag ammo. But if you make the effort to master them, you can make rapid repeat shots. They are nobody's idea of a target gun, but they will shoot minute of badguy with the greatest of ease out to 50 yards of more.

I spent many years searching for the perfect Always Gun and went through quite a few different guns in the search. For the last ten years and more, I've carried an S&W M-640, either as a backup to a belt gun, or as sole armament. And for a few years before that, I carried an S&W M-49. I believe in the Bodyguard and Centennial revolvers, and have trusted them to defend my life for nearly 15 years.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

RE: Proper Clothing and Packing Iron

Check out the Guyaberra Shirts, aka Mexican Wedding Shirts. I've worn these shirts for nearly 20 years and have rarely been made for packing iron. And I don't use belt holsters for pocket pistols. When I carry a belt gun, it is something like a 4" S&W M-686, a 4.75" Italian SAA, or a 3.5" Colt Officers' ACP. I've also carried 5.5" Super Blackhawks under a Guyaberra Shirt.

Buy them a size or two larger than normal, leave the bottom button unbuttoned, and put your keys or s speed loader in the lower gunside pocket.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!