Rebarrel a Marlin to .25-35

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Rebarrel a Marlin to .25-35

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guys, I have a 1949 Marlin 336 SC in .30-30 that I'd like to rebarrel to .25-35. Any suggestions on smiths to do the work, and whose barrel to use? This may just be too expensive to fool with, but I sure miss the old Model 94 octagon rifle I had in this caliber.
Hobie

Re: Rebarrel a Marlin to .25-35

Post by Hobie »

6ptsika was investigating a similar project (to 7-30 Waters) a couple of years ago. The cost was "up there" due to the need to machine the "hood" on the Marlin barrel. That would be a cool gun though!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

If machining the hood is expensive, what about just relining a 30-30 barrel?

That would be something I would be interested in too.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Some years ago ( not too many ) I contacted a few of the guys who advertise re-lining in the popular magazines, and it was pretty pricey.
One of them ( don't remember which one ) had stopped doing it.( in 25-35 ).
I came away with the impression I would be better off re- barreling.
I really want one in .25 Bullberry.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have talked with Regan Nunneman about rebarreling to 7-30 Waters and his cost for rebarrel , installation and reblue was $550 if memory serves !

I have also talked with a guy in the north west about relining some rifles and it seems to me price for an easy reline was about $250-300 . But my memory on that one is a little more hazy :wink:

I still have intentions of doing the 7-30 Waters , I just keep procrastinating about tearing apart a perfectly good 30-30 .

Just for reference , I have talked with Regan about doing a Marlin 1895G to 50 Alaskan for mea and his price for that was about $900 , new barrel whole 9 yards . I have since talked with WWG about doing the same without all their bells and whistles and they rebore for about $600 .

To many this will seem stupid , but I have a Marlin Glenfield 36G sitting here waiting for transformation into a 7-30 Waters , a NIB Marlin 1895G waiting to be turned into a 50 Alaskan and a LNIB 1895G sitting here for transformation into a 475 GNR . I just hate to tear them apart :roll:

I had a NIB Marlin 1895CB that I had planned to reline to 40-65 WCF . I waited long enough with that one that I finally acquired an "original" Marlin 1895 (circa 1897) in 40-65 WCF !
So I traded that rifle to a friend !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As far as barrels go , for the price I would have to say go with Douglas . Matter of fact thats what Nunneman told me would use in the projects I mentioned in the previouse post !

Some of the barrel makers will not make barrels for lever actions and a couple have told me Marlin barrels for some reason are more of a pain in the butt (not sure why).
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The guy I talked with in the north west about relining told me he could reline and chamber for either the 25-35 WIN or the 25-36 Marlin !

Being a complete Marlin NUT , his ability to reline to 25-36 Marlin was of intrest to me ! And again I acquired a Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin before I ever went that route .

He also told me he would not gaurantee his barrels if some one were going to shoot mostly jacketed bullets . He did however say he stood behind his work with "normal" cast loads .
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The two gunsmiths around me quoted $250 for rebarreling a glenfield to 25-35 AI . That is using a Shaw barrel. A douglas barrel will cost about $75 more and up depending on what grade of barrel. Neither commented on Marlin barrels being a problem. I have seen rebarreled marlins from the one smith.

Now if your not set on a Marlin . Browning still list 25-35 barrels available for 94 AE .But they must be factory installed . What factory that would be I don't know. Ahlmans in MN I think does factory work for Winchester. http://www.ahlmans.com/ They also do rebarrel jobs with a good explaination of different grades of barrels. I have not heard any bad info about Ahlmans and I know that they have 6 gunsmiths working there. They also have the local SASS shooting range on their property. I have bought parts from them and they also have a few hundred new and used guns to look at in there shop.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guys, thanks for the posts. I see Brownell's carries a Wind River octagon barrel for Winchester and Marlin lever guns in .25 caliber, but the twist is 1:10. Part of the .25/35's sterling accuracy reputation was based on the 1:8 twist in the original barrels, I believe. The Wind River tubes are $234. Tempting, but anyone shoot blunt nosed bullets at .25-35 velocities and get memorable accuracy?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:I really want one in .25 Bullberry.
That would be neat!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hobie,
Thanks, a kindrid spirit!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tempting, but anyone shoot blunt nosed bullets at .25-35 velocities and get memorable accuracy?
I have a Winchester saddlering carbine, very very used, I use if for prairie dogs occasionally, has a Lyman tang sight, I use the Hornady 60 grainers and any PD within 100 yards is meat in the pan. I sight in at 75 yards and the rifle will shoot better than I can see, I have gotten some 3 shot groups almost touching.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You eat prairie dogs?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jn: That's the kind of accuracy the .25-35 is famous for, and if yours is an original barrel, it should have the 1:8 twist.
Care to share your favorite PD recipe? :D