Chairmen of the Politically Incorrect

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chairmen of the Politically Incorrect

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok, ill settle for a Winchester 101 BUT a Diamond Grade if you please! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, come back, what do you have to say about the measurements you requested?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK, I read the book and could find nothing on external measurements.....and this book has detailed blue prints on every part but no external measurements!

So, because you are my pal and I'm your protege.....I like to think of it as father and son....so Dad, this is what I did. I took out 3 first gen guns and three third gen guns...the first gens were the 38-40, a 45 Long Colt and the mighty 44 Russian...the third gens were a 44-40 New Frontier (yes, they made a few of them) a 7.5 38-40 and a 5.5 38-40.....also measured the smoothbore 38-40 barrel...ID on that one is .391....

I did not push hard with the calipers to get an exact measurement....just snug....the breech end on all of them were .750-.760 + or minus ..003.

All,of the barrels showed a progression taper except a 1902 Colt DA Alaskan which used single action barrels.....

The breech would be .750 then .740 then .730 then .720 then .700 AT THE MUZZLE....and it didn't matter if the barrels were 5.5 or 7.5. The 7.5 barrels showed a .725 at the area which would have been the muzzle of a 5.5

So. I don't know....they probably take a long barrel 4' long and then just cut off at different intervals ........what I think they do IS cut off a piece of pre drilled and rifled stock according to the length they want and then chuck it in a lathe and progressively turn it from .750 to .700 with every length.

Why the importance? The guys over st the Colt forum would probably know for sure.

I didn't have any 4.75 as I think that's a stupid barrel length except if your a gunman and distances are 5'.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The new wheelbarrow was put together tonight...decided not to paint it.....it comes with baked on enamel but it's gray and therefore ugly.....has metal handles WITH a good grip handle.......first time I saw that...I think someome stole my idea from my previous posts a couple of years ago.

Anyway, this baby has MAG WHEELS......

I believe I have enough wheelbarrows to open up a museum.....charge $5 per person and after they see my three wheelbarrows I'll show them some old tires, my burn pit, the dogs, the woodpile.
Model A Uzi’s
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Almost battle ship grey, what’d you think it was like in the board room with some guy with a man bun coming up with the idea of mag type wheels on a wheel barrel.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Harry....this wheelbarrow has a very low serial number and is only one of 15 ever made so I'm gonna preserve it in a block of clear acrylic and store it with my Winchesters & Colts in the safe. I expect it's original cost of $119.95 to skyrocket to $150 in the next five years.

I shouldn't have wrote this as Rossi will see it and make a couple of thousand of these for $29.99 but they won't work.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...that was fast on page 100....Gunny already won 101.....just a silly millimeter longer.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like it in the gray and red. Good to leave it hat way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 4.75” is .710 at the muzzle. The 5.5s are .695” - 44 Spl and .700 - 45 Colt.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The point is that I want to know if it is a factory 4.75”.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, then yours are correct! :D you figure, all of mine are tapered as are yours so Colt decided to make the muzzles around .700 no matter what the original lengths are. Check your again and measure every half inch and you will see a progressive slope from around .755-.700

Are you happy father?

It's all elementary Watson.....use common sense and you will have an answer. The earliest one was from 1902 and all have the progressive slope....

The 1878 double action Alaskan does not appear to have this slope. It's a military gun so maybe they didn't want to pay extra for that...

2:45 good night Dad----yo son---006
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is not the case actually. The tapers are the same but the muzzle diameters are different depending on length. I do not have a 7.5” to measure but from your measurements it appears the 7.5” has a different taper.

OW could measure his 4.75” for us.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Gunny I have to disagree.. :o now think of this, you go out to the barn to shoot rats but there's bears in them there hills, so you load a slug in one and #10 shot in tuther..which do you see first :?: rat or bear.... :lol:

When I was gamekeeping, nearly always had #4 in the left and #7 in the right, never knew what I would see first Fox or Weasle... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes GK. I see and understand your point BUT I keep a Browning BPS 10 ga loaded with OO handy during bear season, and I don't have a barn to shoot rats in. :D My 410 has double triggers, I normally put 7 narfs in the right and 4s in the left but it's very rare to need the left while I'm shooting peasants. Both my 28 Rizzini and my Winchester 23 have single triggers, both are selectable though, yes another half second to change. The 23 is more of a target gun, pushing 8 lbs it's too heavy to hunt with. I do want to try in with buckshot and of course shoot a deer.

On turning barrels, they could do it a couple ways, most likely they are turned on taper, not turned by stepping then chasing the steps. Anyhow the lathe tail stock is off set and the barrel comes off the centers tapered. A few things could cause minor variations, hard spots, dull tooling, hung over, fight with the wife, you get it? Obviously a 32/20 barrel will have thicker walls, a 45 less IF all barrels turned to the same specs. Due to steel formulas the older guns might be more different than later guns, soft turns easier than harder, as a lathe bit is going along its cutting but also pushing away.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh and the Redheaded Stepchild was regulated for POI/POA with Remington slugs so if I really had to id be covered for rats and bears, go big or go home right?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gunny, the thing that caught my attention is that the barrel walls are thicker on the 4.75 but that is apparently to be expected on factory guns with what I think I understand from our discussions here.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

OS, without having acl 4.74, 5.5 and 7.5 handy to measure im just speculating. Colt probably had banks of machines set up for turning, 1 bank for short one for long. Each bank with the tapers set so all would appear the same. But I don't KNOW for certain.
Why aren't you in bed ?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

In my worthless opinion, Gunny nailed the machining process variances to a T. This only comes through doing.
Another thing to remember is the actual machines used. When you go back to pre WW2, these cuts were made on machines run by overhead powershafts and flat belts. Setups, feed, and speed changes took time. Setting a tailstock for taper was a trial and error affair. They put the time in dimensions that mattered the most. The ones that didn't have an impact on fit and function could slide. Dimensional accuracy and quality are not necessarily related.
Nowadays, putting in a taper is a matter of a couple key strokes in a program. This can be changed in a few seconds from one barrel to another. Changing the same machine from one to another can be accomplished in less time than swapping the part to another machine.
Bottom line?
I wouldn't sweat it OS. Your gun is most assuredly factory original. It isnt old enough with enough use to have been messed with. If it was made in 1890, I'd be much more concerned.
I will measure my 4.75 before I leave.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of the first things we were told in skool was :
If ya cant dazzle em with brilliance, dazzle em with bull
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 am One of the first things we were told in skool was :
If ya cant dazzle em with brilliance, dazzle em with bull
Yup.
When I was in skool, it was "Make your mistakes look like the plan."
To blend, is to mend. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We were walking in Beverly Hills when our blonde attorney friend tripped and fell forward, went into a forward roll and she came up as if nothing happened and kept walking.

Appreciate your explanations of manufacturing realities.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok.
My 2021 4.75" 45 is .755 at the frame, down to .715 at the muzzle.
My 2nd gen 5 5" .357 is .755 at the frame, down to .700 at the muzzle.
Last edited by OldWin on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That answers my question. Thnx. Now I can let my mind move on from that.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No problem bud.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well things didn't work out for today's job. So here is my view for the rest of the day.
16432219021268200524800282990191.jpg
A good NW wind is keeping me from sitting in a tree so ill sit in my heater body suit in the blind and hope for a big fat doe or shed buck to wander out and ill send a 3" Remington accuslug through its anatomy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well, that just reinforced my disdain for people!
I just get settled in and I see human legs coming down the hedgerow. I know its not any of our club members coming in from that end as the only access is to make a couple hundred foot climb .
I get out of my heater suit, climb out of the blind with gun in hand and walk over to where he went into the woods. I hollered STAY OFF THE CLUB PROPERTY RESPECT PROPERTY LINES Sure enough I found foot prints in the snow. Took pictures and back tracked him to where he entered the property. Im going to put about a dozen POSTED signs there.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Trespassers and poachers were a pain on my shoot, I had 12 gauge alarm guns set at night and had to do regular patrols to chase the buggers off. My boss had an old "Man Trap" I would have loved to have used it.. :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Gunny.....just do an Alec Baldwin on him.......(I coined that..first time)

Yes ..big brother, it is a gradual taper from .755 to .700 (plus or minus whatever) no matter the barrel length or caliber. So that brings us to the next question.....if it's the same drawn out taper then how do the ejector housings all fit the same? After all, Colt is not like a Uberti where one size fits all......could be enough tolerances cut into the frame to allow for this..

Ya know Fred...you could always get a factory letter.

Nice view Gunny....sure beats mine at the moment.---006

Yea Gk , England was known for all kinds on booby traps.....I'm guessing only the rich could hunt and didn't want low life's taking their game...so they got themselves traps AND A GAMEKEEPER.!
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Food for thought Six, when the Colts in question there was still skilled labor , highly skilled and ejector rod housings were HAND fit. Do it once and ya learn, do it 8 hours a day and it becomes innate, those guys doing assembly could probably do it in their sleep!

No way I could use any kind of your traps, no way I could get here every day, twice a day , besides human hides aren't worth enough to make skinning worth my effort! :lol:

Nothing but Red Tail hawks so far. Lots of tweety birds.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Gunny.....skilled labor...it is written that the single action Colts from the 1900-around 1912 period were the most finely fitted.

Yep...snow be on da way...
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I didn't see a deer from my blind, but when I walked back to my truck I counted at least 12 in another field, where I dont have anything set up of course! 1 critter has to be a mature buck,, HUGE body and very dark coat. Way too far for a slug gun.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interested in the various Colts from different periods but never have seen any 00-12 out here.

Factory letter? What is involved there?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
Even up to the beginning of ww1 the quality was still there.....diminished after the war.....then diminished even more after ww2...today, they are Colts, the name is there and so is the quality, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail is less than what it once was......still the best investment revolver out there. .....you have to have the "eye" to know the difference and prices reflect the different eras.

Gunny still hunting? Bucks? Kinda late to be taking does.....feels good to get out and spend the day in the woods.....all my life I was like that....I'd drive the 32 miles after getting off work at 3:30 just to hunt for 45 minutes with the old 1886 in .33.....Forgot how many dropped to that rifle... Then one day around age 60, I said, "I've had enough, the thrill is gone."

When I was in my forties, I was discussing hunting with an old timer who was a real deal hunter and had quit by then.......I asked him, "how can you quit hunting?!!?" He said to me, "one day you will see what I mean.

I probably enjoyed squirrel hunting with an 1892 in 32-20 more than I did any other kind of hunting. 3 grains of Bullseye and a 115 Lyman..eat up to the hole they say......pop em out of tall oaks and hickories on the run....I was good then and had great eyes. The weather was crisp, not cold or hot......even shot a mess with a Smith 44 Spl....eat up to the hole with them too....then I got sick of eating them, relating them to rats so I quit.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh...factory letter.......look on the Colt website...they used to be $125.....a letter always brings an instant sale at top dollar.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya Six, I no longer have the shoot deer, every deer motivation. Now when I go out I'm ver particular about what I'll shoot. Rack buck sure, big doe of course. I don't shoot little ones as there is no meat on them. Here with very high bag limits and from September to February open season I can sneak out when the chance presents itself. Only reason I'm still going out is to make jerky and add to the dog food supply. Oh and backstraps!! I never really cared for squirrel, always a pest animal to me.

Now if it flies, has purdy feathers and the dogs are around I'll hunt it!

Wow they get a 125 bucks for a company letter? Seems a bit much but I understand the research involved.

Back to the job today, owner moved back into the house, now we have to work around stuff. Not too bad as we are almost done... for now as her budget has been depleted.

Electrical inspector is a real jerk! He won't give a temporary CO because the under cabinet lights aren't hooked up. Why? Because the cabinets haven't been built, won't be for who knows how long AND the wires aren't even hooked up in the panel box! Ok fine ya gotta do things by the code book BUT ya gotta also realize in some situations not everything can be interpreted per the code and this guy is strict code letter of the law.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Headed out.
It was 22 below this morning. Gonna feel like summer in Kodiak. Been in the 30s there. Maybe we will go to the beach. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If I had knowed you didn't need your Buffalo coat up there I would have asked for a borrow...... :lol: Have a good trip.. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GK.....I got the buffalo coat......I had enough of his pilfering so I went up there and stole it before the cold set in.....wow...-22....

Have a great trip Jay and say hi to everyone.....longest trip I get to do is out to the barn or down the driveway....but that's my decision......you'll hate people like me one day.

That time Jay came here it was about 40 and he had a T shirt on.

Well, anything going on Gunny?....I don't think we are gonna get much....looks like we are on the edge...maybe 6"....Out there in old savage land the sun is shining and the golf carts are glistening....

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is correct!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you guys!
On the way to Anchorage now.
Hey! How did you get that buffalo coat past Zoey the super dog and my old man. I left a picture of ole Six and told them to watch for him. I told them someone needed to guard my half mag and 2/3 mag carbines!

I will say hi to everyone Jack, thank you. Oh....believe me....I hate people now. Can't imagine when I get older. I hate traveling.
Haha yeah! 40 degrees is summer. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I haven't looked at the weathermorons er weather channel this afternoon. Too frustrated at the moment, my security camera has been off line and I can't get it back up and running. I'm ready to toss it out in the yard and perforate it with a load of #2s from the 410! Know whats wrong with the world? CHINA !! They keep making S and we keep buying it!

Bon Chance Brother Jay! Yeah I will never again fly commercial, just too much hoop jumping &now they are saying a vax passport, go f yourself is my reply!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You got that Gunny......I'm don't jumping through hoops too...it was bad enough the last few times and as I bring guns, it's more hoops......

Jay...only,thing I had to do was throw a big t bone steak on the floor and I walked up and patted her on the head......as I write this I'm enjoying ALL of your half mag carbines.....in fact, I'll trade you them for my Colts :D

Oh Lordy, at least you are doing something...I'm bored as heck....my daughter called and wanted to know if I could pick her up at the airport....mmmmm....I said only at a last resort and if I do be prepared to get a shower of alcohol before she gets in the Jeep...

Fred always has to dazzle us with that weather......that's OK, the summer would kill me......

Well, we just had a big BOOM on the back bay window.....went out and nothing but a mess of feathers........in the picture I'm outside taking the picture towards the inside of the house and the trees and all are a reflection..

Some bird had a headache right now. I'll post it both ways so Gunny can see it with his Chinese phone! Ha! Just BB in.---006

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You know I got to be bored to post things like wheelbarrows and bird smash ups......come on SRING!--006

Well, looks like a big mama jama is coming to the Supreme Court. Free watermelon and turkey azzes for everyone.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My phone is fine, its the krappy camera! I got a reply from the email I sent to the company, a full refund... in 5-10 days. Oh and they are sorry to see me go. Believe that and I got a bridge to sell ya!

3-5 inches OR 5-8 of snow to come depending on which model ya want to believe.

Hey ! Give me that 2/3 mag thuddy thuddy, geeze stop hoarding all of Jay's carbines! Now where is that buffalo coat?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Made it to Anchorage. One more hop. We have dodged the snowstorms so far.
I hear you guys. I'd never fly either, but with the kid and grandkids in Alaska..... well......I make an exception.
On another note....
Apparently, not everyone is as stupid as us to go to Alaska in the winter. Planes have been fairly empty. Kristy got us a first class ride all the way for not much cash. Wow! This is some shock for a Maine hick (this must be how OS travels. :D ). Super comfy seats, nice hot meals, and included beer and drinks! That sure took the sting outta travelinin'!! I tell ya what, you put me and the boys on the same flight and we could bankrupt this airline easy. :D
Coming into Anchorage.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh! And yes. Its a wild PIA to fly now. I hate it. Especially a long trip like this.
So far no Vax passports, but it is probably coming.
Zeig Heil! Zeig Heil!
People seem to love it though. Some "guy"......"thing", IDK, was in one of the airports with long hair in a bunch, painted nails, and milktoast skin. I wanted to find a 2x4 to beat it with, cause I didn't want to touch it with my fist. :D
Me? I am sporting my Johnson green and black wool coat, bean boots, jeans, and a Maine IFW hat.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man...we are serious pals now...."beat that whacko weirdo with a 2x4!". Last month I was standing in the aisle at Costco and this kid, about 15, came walking down the aisle with bright pink hair.......as he walked past me I said to another guy standing there, "what the F is that?" He busted up laughing.

BY THE WAY, DONT STEAL CODY's 35 Winchester.....you know it's a takedown and can easily slide it in your coat.

Bullying is a bad thing but it keeps weirdos like that from proliferating.......

Well, storm coming and the foxes are hungry....look at this sucker...got to be the biggest fox in the world.

Then his buddy came up for some of the eatins's.....

Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Healthy looking Foxes you got there Six..... 8)

Good old Jay living the highlife.... 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

the other night I ordered food from the local Italian joint. Next thing I know the doorbell rings, I open the door and here is a kid with red & black hair, red finger nails, black leather jacket, pants that had an inseam 6" short , red socks and Keds sneakers. In my mind it was holy stuff! But this kid is a nice kid, very polite, respectful , just a bit off. To each his own, obviously motivated, he has a JOB- that's really something this day and age!

Glad ya got to travel in style! It's nice to travel and have everything go smooth!

Foxes? Can't see them from the ipad, dunno why?

Warm this morning, 24. A little snow today then tonight/ tomorrow for 5-8 .

Don't forget my brown bear cub this time! Man talk about home defense, imagine having a pet bear. Just leave everything unlocked and walk away.

Freeze warnings all the way to the tip of America's wang... (Florida)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six, just saw an updated forecast, now 4-11 inches of snow here.

GK must be out trapping poachers, OW is feeding the bears. OS is treating patients and Tom is still MIA. Harry? Doc? Anyone...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!