OT - Opening day of Dove season in Pa.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Opening day of Dove season in Pa.

Post by rjohns94 »

More than opening day of day of any other season, opening day of dove season holds a special place in my heart. I love to bird hunt and the 1rst day of September is like the opening of all seasons in my mind. This year, I am hunting with a late 19th century Midland Gun Company, Hammer gun in 12 gauge, refurbed for the next 100 years by our very own 86er who sold this to me earlier this year. What a beautiful shotgun and though not 100%, its very functional, fits me to a tee and shoots wonderfully. This year, the limit is 15/day. Never in my hunting life has the limit been so high and I was very excited. The day was hot and windless, no clouds in the sky so I chose to sit out for the first 5 hours and arrived on the public game lands ready to hunt with a little over 2 1/2 hours of sunlight. I had no shots for the first 45 mins but I was not too worried. I shifted my position a bit and soon got into some shooting. First, a single incoming, then a double on incomings. The second bird of that double tried to get up again but my Bond .410 derringer ended that effort. Next shot was going away and the bird dropped in a hedge across the field. After retrieveal, the game warden came calling and checked out the license and shotgun. Said it was the first time he has seen a hammer shotgun in the dove fields for years. Bird 5 was an inbound high flyer that dropped less than 10 yards from my position. A couple of passers lowered my average on hits to 5/7. It was a nice run and a good start to the nights shooting. I had three doubles in the 15 birds for the evening. Overall, it was a wonderful break-in of a new season, a new shotgun to me, and a super night of shooting. Thanks 86er for a beautiful shotgun.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - Opening day of Dove season in Pa.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

What a great way to spend Labor Day! 8) Congratulations buddy!!! :D

Any chance of posting some additional pictures of that shotgun? Sounds marvelous! :mrgreen:
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I went out for about 45 min this evening with the .410 my grandpa gave me when I was 4, I got 3 and missed about 4. September 1st is one of my favorite days of the year, and when I take grandpa's .410 Its like he is still here hunting with me.
Break on through to the other side!!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have fond memories of dove season.
Even getting shot has taken that away!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Meant to say " has NOT taken that away "
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Any chance of posting some additional pictures of that shotgun? Sounds marvelous! :mrgreen:
Yeah, what he said.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

good going - glad to hear that you got out. I tried, but was not able too...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Andrew wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Any chance of posting some additional pictures of that shotgun? Sounds marvelous! :mrgreen:
Yeah, what he said.

Yeah, yeah!

Looks like a beauty.

Sounds like a good day,

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I will post some better pics of the shotgun as soon as I can. Sorry for the poor photos but light was gone after shooting and picking up. I will get some shots of it in the sunlight.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I am very sad :( Yesterday was the first opening day of Dove IN PA I missed since 1971 .
First time in that time I had no place to go for shooting . Lost my place two years ago, went to a make shift area last year that was worse tha no place at all .
MY sons and I and my grand son go every year together and spend the entire day . First time we could not do it VERY sad :(
TOO many places getting housed-over toomany places not allowing shooting any more Spent a lot of time this year asking and looking for a place to go NO LUCK
Well hopefully next year
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm in south central pa, your in southeastern pa. You should come on over to the game lands here and I will show you around. Worth the trip for a day afield with family.

mike
Mike Johnson,

Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I just might where are talking ????
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

We had a bunch of guys out yesterday, but I didn't bother with it. I haven't actually shot at doves in a few years. It's just as fun to me to watch the gang blasting away at them, anyway. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike: Good for you for getting out and gathering some birds with a hammer double. I have a Husqvarna hammer double with 2 1/2-inch chambers that I need to break in. I have some Magtech all-brass shells loaded with black powder that I would like to try, but can't use lead shot on the local refuge hunting areas.