What if I decided to thin the heard?????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

What if I decided to thin the heard?????

Post by J Miller »

I don't usually respond to the "If you could have only one" type threads. But they do make me think of things. So beings I'm down with a second gout attack in a month, my right ankle this time, I been thinkin. Might be the drugs causing this, not sure.

So ... what if I decided to thin the heard?

Well, first I'd get rid of all my bolt guns. Even when I lived in AZ I rarely used them. They are just not my bag so to speak. They're taking up lots of space I could use for other things.

Second I'd get rid of all the .357s. That's easy, I'd give them to my wife.

Third I'd keep my 9422 and one of my .22 hand guns. Probably my OM Super Single-Six. Although it's in need of some tuning. It would be tough getting rid of the other two .22s as they have a family connection, but I rarely use them so they are just taking up space.

Fourth I'd get rid of the Win 94 Trappers, both the 30-30 and the .45 Colt. As much as I like them I do prefer the 20" carbine barrels. Although if I could find a 20" barrel for the 94AE that might be the way to go.

Fifth, I'd have to make a real choice between my 1950 Win 94 in 30-30 and my Marlin 1894 CBC in .45 Colt. With proper loads the Marlin in .45 Colt will do the same job as the 30-30 out to 100 or so yards, maybe a bit farther. And it holds more rounds in the magazine.

Sixth I'd have to get rid of the S&W 25-5, I'm pretty much down on that company so ditching it wouldn't be any problem at all.

Seventh I'd have to decide weather or not to have the barrel chopped on my OM BH .45. I've been tossing that idea around for 10 years now. I like the 7.5" barrel for it's balance and sight radius, but it's a PITA to carry. I've been looking for an OM with the 4 5/8" barrel for years, but so far I've not found any. I think the collectors over on The Ruger Forum are hogging all of them.

So there's my thoughts. Now for some Excedrin, cos I got a headache now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What if I decided to thin the heard?????

Post by 505stevec »

Wow, what a topic :( Lately I have been thinking of "thinning the herd" but my herd is not that big so I hesitate and work overtime to make the difference. I have only a few pistols. I would probably sell the Kimber Pro Carry if any. Not cause I dont like it but it is the one used the least right now.

I have two Colt M4's so I could spare one if need be but my boys love them so I always wanted to leave these for them. The Ak's wouldnt bring that much but I am not married to them. I like my Australian L1A1 so that stays. I have three 45-70's a Sharps, Springfield Trapdoor Carbine and Browning 1886. of the three the Shaps would go if need be. My SAvage 99 stays and my Winchester 94 30-30 Antique. The Rossi 92's in .44 mag and .357 mag stay. Thw Crazy Horse Commemorative would go. Its NIB and I have brass to load so I would have to sell it before I shoot it. the M1 Carbine stays (I love that gun). The Mossburg 590 riot gun would go IF needed but the Winchester 97 Trenchgun stays.

I guess when it all comes down to it they all stay unless bad times on the homefront. Man now I got a headache! :(
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Joe, the 4 5/8" .45 Colt. I don't think you would regret it. Unless you want the power advantage. How far do you want to shoot?

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.,

Back in the late 70s I had one like yours. Oh how I loved that Ruger. It was stollen in 77. I kept looking until 1997 when I found the one I have now. I won't buy sight unseen, tried it once and the gun was OK, but I wouldn't have bought it had I seen it first. In central IL, there is virtually no gun shops, and those that have anything worth while almost never have OM BHs.
Someday, I'll find one like yours. If I don't get the barrel chopped on mine first.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've had this same conversation, with myself lately. Yes, I do sometimes talk to myself. :D I have seriously thinned my herd way down over the last year or so. I've decided it's going to be quality and not quantity.

With the exception of my son's 3 rifles IF I had to I could very easily go "spartan" and live with 4 or 5 rifles.

Mossberg 12g pump, for home defense....

Either my 1939 or 1951 Marlin 39A....

Marlin Deluxe 1893 Takedown 30-30....

Winchester 62, 1st year (1932) Just too nice, too accurate, and too fun to part with.....

and my 3F Ballard. This is my "lazy-day-at-the-range" bench gun.

I only own 4 handguns and two are for carry purposes, one is a Colt SAA, and the 4th is a Buckmark Hunter, so they would stay.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

If for some reason I lost every gun I have, it wouldn't bother me very much as long as I could keep one Remington 870 12ga Pump Shotgun along with three barrels -- a 20" Fully Rifled, Deer Sighted barrel; a 20" Smooth Bore Rem Choke, Deer Sighted barrel; and a 28" Smooth Bore Rem Choke barrel (either with or without a rib).

I sure as heck wouldn't miss any handguns, bolt action rifles, or pump action rifles, but may miss one of my lever actions for about 30-minutes.

Actually, I could be very happy with a Savage Model 12 with a 12ga shotgun barrel over a .22LR barrel.
ED
Yer never too old
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Joe the gout is affecting your thinking! Go take some iproforn (spelt wrong) and a vicodin, and a shot! I have many guns and have also played with the idea.
I pretty much have come to the conclusion that it wouldnt change my life much for the better and where would you stop? Besides what would you spend the money on? More modern guns again at inflated prices? I probley turned over several hundred guns years ago and now regret not keeping most of them
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I sold some fine stuff 25 years ago to finance a divorice and child support. Some of those guns would bring many times over what I got! That is, if I could even find them! Oh well.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought about thinning the herd and got so sick I had to go lie down. I worked hard and long to get to the point I could have a herd and I'm loathe to be rid of them. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:shock:
Man, you all start thinking thoughts like these, and I'm going to ask Hobie to put you all on a mailing list for free Prozac.

Seriously, I wonder why we all seem to do that "what if only one gun" or "what if only two guns" thinking so much. I think we all do it.

Mel Tappan's "Survival Guns" started me doing it in high school, and I had a list of THE ten guns anyone just had to have - of course I only owned TWO of them :lol: but it was still fascinating to think about. Kind of like when you're a boy scout preparing for your first campout, and you pack and sort and re-pack things fifty times the week before. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The herd here is growing - I am back into single actions. Got rid of 9 Colt Single Actions over the years. Can't own everything unless you are rich. I don't have everything I like but I like everything I have.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

J Miller wrote:I've been looking for an OM with the 4 5/8" barrel for years, but so far I've not found any. I think the collectors over on The Ruger Forum are hogging all of them.
Joe
Joe, I think your right. Some of those guys just plain have problems.

I like these topics as a discussion, but, I have no intentions of getting rid of anything anytime soon. I haven't even been "herding" but for about 2-3 years now.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have been thinking lately of thinning my own herd. As Hobie said, I've worked hard to become a successful "Arms Rancher".

It's like looking at old friends, and kicking out the ones that aren't as "useful" as they used to be. Some of them I built with my own two hands. Made them for the kids over 20 years ago, and they just don't get used anymore. I'm just hangin' on to them for sentimental reasons. For the grandkids? :mrgreen:

Now that I can afford better and prettier guns, should I turn my back on those old friends who lifted me up in hard times and supported my journey?

People come and go, I can take 'em or leave 'em. But I do I tend to get attached to things.

This is HARD.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
First, lay off the booze. :D Back in my drinking days, my gout got so bad that if someone breathed on my foot, I would scream. It went away after I stopped drinking.
As for thinning the herd, well, I would just as soon send 240 grains of hot lead through what is left of my brain. I ain't thinnin' nothin' :D Let my heirs worry 'bout that and I suggest you do the same. The way I see it is that if things get so bad you have to sell guns, its time to buy the farm. I remember back in the seventies, I sold a Colt Python to pay a car insurance bill. I was sick for a month. I pay myself now and to hell with big companies.------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I'm not into thinning, only upgrading in caliber or condition. So I may get rid of one, but end up replacing it with another,

I also might think about it if I ever need money bad enough or when my kids get out on their own, but until then they're staying.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
Let me know if you get serious about that 25-5
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Joe, reading this I decided to carry on thickening the herd :!: :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Geez guys, these are just "things". Life will go on, it's not the end of the world if you sell one/trade one/have to sell one. We're not talking about getting rid of the wife and kids. :D
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"What if I decided to thin the heard?????"

....Then you might have enough money ahead to move to Wyoming. :D

I'm seriously thinking about thinning (again), I'd do it in a second if I could use the money to move to Alaska.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun wrote:Joe,
First, lay off the booze. :D Back in my drinking days, my gout got so bad that if someone breathed on my foot, I would scream. It went away after I stopped drinking.
As for thinning the herd, well, I would just as soon send 240 grains of hot lead through what is left of my brain. I ain't thinnin' nothin' :D Let my heirs worry 'bout that and I suggest you do the same. The way I see it is that if things get so bad you have to sell guns, its time to buy the farm. I remember back in the seventies, I sold a Colt Python to pay a car insurance bill. I was sick for a month. I pay myself now and to hell with big companies.------Sixgun
Sixgun, I wish that were the problem, I'd quit in a heartbeat. But I'm an occasional drinker. There's a bottle of beer in the fridge that's been there for months, and the hard stuff just sits in the cabinet.
Not sure exactly what my problem is, but I'm working on it. I believe it's the type of foods I'm eating.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:I don't have everything I like but I like everything I have.
THAT is a good philosophy to strive for.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote: Not sure exactly what my problem is, but I'm working on it. I believe it's the type of foods I'm eating.
Joe
Think about high inputs of protein as a possible cause - meat, cheese, milk - and if it is a recent phenomenon, think about conditions causing high protein turnover (weight loss, malignancies), or certain medications which can increase uric acid load.

disclaimer - contact your personal physician - he/she knows your individual situation, etc.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

J Miller wrote:
Sixgun, I wish that were the problem, I'd quit in a heartbeat. But I'm an occasional drinker. There's a bottle of beer in the fridge that's been there for months, and the hard stuff just sits in the cabinet.
Not sure exactly what my problem is, but I'm working on it. I believe it's the type of food I'm eating

Joe
Joe, I am an "expert" at gout. Not only did I have it (from drinking) my wife gets it and my buddy gets it. They do not drink either (well, Billy likes his Jack Daniels.)but both are big beef eaters. Beef, shellfish and rich foods (like cherry cheese cake) will do it also. My buddy has it so bad, he takes daily medication for it. I try to tell him to get off the Jack, but he won't. He says its easier taking pills than to deal with the "shakes".-----------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have been doing this for a while now. Had to buy more in order to do it though as I was going for quality instead of quantity. I have written about it before so I will do this quickly.

I have a custom built flintlock, .54 Cal Virginia Rifle that I use for early and late muzzleloader - No thinning here.

I have two 1851 Colt .44 pistols. I like them, but don't need them. I could get rid of them for $800.

I have two .22 pistols. A colt and Freedom arms. I would keep one - Thinking of selling the Freedom Arms .22lr/.22mag, 4 1/4 inch heavy barrel, adj. sights , Priemier grade. The colt new frontier in 5 1/2inch barrel is a keeper. I would sell the FA for $1500.

I have a bond derringer and holster in .45lc and .410 - Snake slayer model. I would sell for $400

I have two .45lc pistols - Freedom Arms 5 1/2 Premier with octagon barrel, and a USFA 4.5/8 . At this point, I would sell the Freedom Arms for $1500

I have a .357 model 6 3Pro. I would keep this one.

I have a Rohrbaugh 9mm for CCW - right now, not letting this go

I have Detonics Combat Master in.45acp , Stainless Steel. I could let it go for $550.

I have a Sig 220 - already spoken for in trade for leather goods

I have one shotgun, a london of gun with hammers from the last century - goes to the dove fields tomorrow - keeper

I have (soon) a NKJ .357 - keeper

I have a WWG Co-pilot - .457/45-10, Keeper

I have a Marlin 39 TDS - keeper

I have a GSG -5, a .22lr that replicates an MP-5 - currently getting a silencer mounted on it - Keeper

I have a springfield M-6 survival riflle in .22/.410 and stainless steel. for sale for $700

I have a sharps in 45-70 - keeper

I have Ugly Duck in 30-30 - keeper for now.

I have a remington double SXS in 30-06 for sale now, $750

So I can still reduce my collection by 9. Any takers? If I sold them, I would get a model 88 in .308 and be done with gun buying.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote: Not sure exactly what my problem is, but I'm working on it. I believe it's the type of foods I'm eating.
Joe
Think about high inputs of protein as a possible cause - meat, cheese, milk - and if it is a recent phenomenon, think about conditions causing high protein turnover (weight loss, malignancies), or certain medications which can increase uric acid load.

disclaimer - contact your personal physician - he/she knows your individual situation, etc.
Gout started about 12 years ago. At time it was caused by HCTZ a diuretic. After I got off of that I went for several years with no attacks. Blood pressure increased as did my weight. Diet has pretty much remained the same, although I've been trying to cut way back on certain things to bring the weight down.
Doctors here, well, I've had at least 7 doctors come and go at the clinic we go to. It's really a pain in the @$$.
Anyway, the attack I had at the beginning of the month, and now the one yesterday was the first in quite a while. The hideous Colchicine knocked yesterdays down in 4 tablets and this time I didn't get sick from it. ( I followed Modoc ED's doctors simple instructions rather than the confusing ones from my DR.) I'm thinking of taking 2 more just to make sure.

So, since I've changed my diet somewhat, and I'm on a combination of BP meds it could be something different, or a combination of things.

Now back to our regular scheduled thread:

AFter giving it a good think over, I'll have to keep my 1950 Win 94. Either the Win 94AE Trapper .45 Colt has to go, or the Marlin 1894 goes. Kinda like if I could find a 20" barrel for the Win 94AE I'd do a barrel swap and the Marlin would go bye bye.

mescalero1,
PM Me; REF the 25-5.

Malamute,
If I got there by thinning out my heard, what would I have to shoot when I got there ....... Hmmmmm, it's an idea though. I'll do some cogitatin on it.

Joe
KT-45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KT-45 »

J Miller wrote:Second I'd get rid of all the .357s. That's easy, I'd give them to my wife.

Joe
I had to laugh at that!

In the woods I ALWAYS carry a SA in .45 Colt.

But, around the house, I ALWAYS make sure my wife's DA .357 is handy!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think of the .357 as a "girlfriend gun", but all of her revolvers (both DA and SA) are chambered in .357 while my handguns are .45 (either Colt or ACP).

I can't draw any conclusions from this info. I just find it interesting.
"Mister, you ever seen what a Henry rifle can do in the hands of a man who knows how to use it?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I do not have kids, so I can't save them for the grandkids,
I'm with Wiedner, a good portion of them I built myself.
But I'm getting older, and a decision needs to be made.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I already "thinned my herd", going from over 200 assorted gunz to the "essentials" ( ;) ), or what's lately been hovering around 25-30 - to fund my "early" retirement at age 62 a few years ago.

It finally paid off - sacrificing, to buy all those $50 & $100 guns, many years ago.
The return was better than any other kind of investment I ever saw.
Tax-free, too.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Joe, I was figuring you'd keep the best and most useful. I know how much you've wanted to get out of that area. It may be easier to buy a few guns back later over time, than get the money together to make a move.

If you were out here now, you could be riding along with me up over Beartooth today, in the rainy cool weather, hunting grouse with the 30-30, bear season is open today (is today the 1st?), and elks need to be scouted. I'm heading out in about an hour.

You mentioned in the past that each had a niche, I thought about that some. I have some "niche" guns, generally related to my desire to be in Alaska, but they don't help me much when I'm not in Alaska. I'm considering offing a few non-essential "niche" guns to be able to actually use the ones I like most.

One pistol caliber carbine is enough, since I rarely ever shoot the other (actually, I rarely shoot either). It's beautiful, a work of art, (Miroku/Winchester 92 limited edition high grade with gold filled etching in 45 Colt cal) but it isn't a practical field gun for me, and I'd choose others over it for actual use, unless I modified it, and thereby ruining it's value.

I like scoped bolt guns for longer range shooting and hunting, but I could easily get by with a couple less.

I could somehow manage with a couple less 1903's.

I've already sold several guns over the winter and spring.
Last edited by Malamute on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mescalero1 wrote:I do not have kids, so I can't save them for the grandkids,
You could ask a local gun shop owner to keep an eye out for someone who might appreciate the particular guns/type of guns you want to part with. You'd get the best price, and the guns would go to a decent home. The thought of some loser buying my old slug shotgun just to cut down the barrel and stock for a 'car gun' would make me sick. (I had such a 'car gun' - 1 inch longer than the legal minimum requirement - as a kid, and it WAS from a klunker, but I still wonder if that gun wasn't at some point someone's 'prized shotgun' and wouldn't they cringe to see what happened to it :oops: )

morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

This is a discussion I have had lately with myself. Over the years, I have compiled a good number of guns when times were good but now that they are not for me, I have been selling off. The question for me is always, which guns do I want to keep most? I have decided to keep all my levers so my family could sell them to bury me if something should happen. Others, I have chosen to keep for the time being because they mean very personal things to me such as the IH garand that I bought years ago from Duff's collection. Recently, I have sold many mausers and springfields that were nice to buy gas because I am out of work at the moment. I regret every one that I have sold but such is life. I am now currently out of springfields and have very few mausers left. There are some interesting prospects coming up so hopefully, I won't thin any further.

This is a tough topic for "gun nuts" but sometimes, it has to be done to keep the things that you love most.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:I do not have kids, so I can't save them for the grandkids,
Well, that statement just about covers it for me too. Although I didn't build any of mine, I have personalized a few of them.

One of the other things is my health. I have spinal arthritis and my flexibility is diminishing. Just holding a rifle out to shoot is difficult. The heavier the rifle, the more difficult. Light weight rifles like my lever guns are OK, but I'm not sure what I can do with my old battle rifles any more. I plan on taking them to the range the next time I go.

There are other things involved too. No just financial. If it was bills that need paid I wouldn't be saying this. I did that already some years back and made myself a promise that I'd never sell any more guns to pay bills that will be back next month. Then the guns are gone and what do I sell?

Just thinking about lightening the load. You know each gun has a case, a set of dies, gobs of brass, bullets, primers, and powder that go with it. They do take up a lot of room.

Joe
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

J Miller wrote: Just thinking about lightening the load. You know each gun has a case, a set of dies, gobs of brass, bullets, primers, and powder that go with it. They do take up a lot of room.

Joe
That's why 90% of what I own and shoot now is rimfire.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I don't have kids, any bills that are not managable,etc.
Like AJMD429 said, the thought of some one buthering one of my guns; or worse yet some juvinile delinquent getting hold of one or more and committing horrid mischeif is something that really bothers me.
I have not hit on it yet, but surely some workable solution is available, it has not come to me yet.
Joe , I am sorry to hear about your medical condition.
Try to talk to a Yoga instructor, be frank about your medical condition.
I know a guy who regained a LOT of flexibility through Yoga
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

If I 'heard' this correctly, some are thinking of thinning their 'herd'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That thought occasionally crosses my mind. But instead I usually will sell off 2 or 3 to upgrade with one NICE one and that tends to keep my herd thinned more than enough :shock:

But what I do from time to time is to take out a 1/2 dozen or so and use only those for a year or two at a time. 2 years ago I took out 2 Ruger Flattops in .44, 2 Marlin Cowboys in .44, 1 Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 and my Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge. Man, those 6 have been doing it all for me since! I've taken, deer, elk, ruffed grouse, blue grouse, pheasants, chukars and quail with those 6 firearms and nary a problem. Something tells me I will continue using those 6 + the Ruger #1 in .45-70 I am going to go pick up from my 'smith after having a bit of work done.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I never really had herd proportions but I thinned my levers down to the extent that I barely qualify for membership here - :oops: .

I sold off:
1. 30-30 Win 94AE
2. 357 Uberti 73 Short Rifle
3. 32-20 Win 92

Retained:
1. 38-55 Win 94
2. Win 9422

I needed to sell some to fund other purchases so the overall numbers have pretty much remained at the same.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Herd Thinning, in order:

1850s 12ga "Zulu"
1900ish 16x16 Damascus
1900ish 16x16x9.3 Drilling
1943 Remington 513T
All that's left after that are the "basics"

12ga Mossberg
.45-70 1886TD
96/22
Sentinal Delux .22 revolver
.357 Rossi
.357 Sp101
.50 Flintlock
.50 Inline Pistol
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I will probably do something like that but I'm not in a rush.

I told myself when starting to buy guns I would try it and see how I liked it. If you get curious about a cartridge, the only way to see if it's for you is to buy a gun and do some shooting.

Also, I didn't have an exact idea as to what game to hunt; at first I thought I could hunt everything - pigs, quail, ducks, rabbits. Now it looks like I'll just be hunting deer.

It's good to have a gun for each type of shooting you do, so you can set that gun up with the ideal sights and develop the ideal load for it. Right now I have a different rifle for each class of cowboy leveraction silhouette I participate in, plus two rifles for hunting (scoped and unscoped). I could still sell off a couple, and for silhouette I could just shoot one or two classes and reduce the number a little more. But I'm still new at this and don't want to sell anything that I might want back. So I'm trying different loads and before making any life decisions.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:I thought about thinning the herd and got so sick I had to go lie down. I worked hard and long to get to the point I could have a herd and I'm loathe to be rid of them. :wink:
+ like, a zillion! :shock: I keep fainting every time I read the title and contemplate...
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hobie wrote:I thought about thinning the herd and got so sick I had to go lie down. I worked hard and long to get to the point I could have a herd and I'm loathe to be rid of them. :wink:
+ like, a zillion! :shock: I keep fainting every time I read the title and contemplate...

ME TOO! It makes me sick to think about
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

J Miller wrote: . . . I believe it's the type of foods I'm eating.

Joe

That's EXACTLY what it is, Joe. Do some googling on gout-fcausing foods and gout-free diets and see where you fit in.

I have a close friend that suddenly contracted gout, had three attacks and went to the Dr. Once medicated and with a change in diet he's been gout-free.

Oh -- Dibs on the 94 in 45 Colt should you decide to sell . . . ;)

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

YUP time to thin the herd read this and decided to count ( Hadn't done that for a few years ) Seems I Have 34 Center fire rifles( not including the 4 extra barrels for the one H&R handi ) , 5 rim fire rifles , 5 rimfire handguns , 9 centerfire handguns , 8 shot guns , two muzzle loading hand guns and 4 muzzle loading rifles .
IM going to sel l the early model Navy arms 58 Cal Zuave rifle, havn't shot that for over 10 years and dont figure on shooting it in a long time to come. I think I alreaddy have a buyer :D
WELL thats enough thinnning for another 10 years :D
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
spud1949
Levergunner

Post by spud1949 »

This post makes me kinda sad, I hope you get your health under control! My mother and father in law had gout.