lee fcd and lead bullets how good does it work

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

lee fcd and lead bullets how good does it work

Post by remshooter »

lee fcd and lead bullets will it work?
« on: Today at 09:05:26 PM » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have 45-70 with short throat .bullets press into the rifling if seat and crimp at crimp groove of the rcbs 405 gr. lead fpgc ,have lee fcd for jsp, if seat lead bullets deaper and crimp on top driving band with lee fcd will it be strong enuff to keep bullet from being pushed deeper into case from mag spring and keep it from pulling out from recoil? gun is win 1886 EL
Advanced Levergunner

Re: lee fcd and lead bullets how good does it work

Post by 1886 »

You are asking about neck tension. Neck tension is more a function of the relationship between projectile size and hardness, expander size, and brass hardness. Crimp does play a role but crimping is not the solution to inadequate neck tension. Over crimping can actually decrease neck tension. If your .45-70 has a groove diameter of .458 and you are shooting a hard cast bullet sized .459 then your expander should be .004-.005 smaller than your bullet. This formula works for jacketed bullets as well. If you are using soft cast use an expander that is .001-.002 smaller than the bullet diameter. You may apply a healthy crimp with the Lee FCD if using hard cast/jacketed rounds but do not over do it. One does not need a crimp groove to properly apply the FCD. Many accuracy enthusiast will crimp with the FCD and turn the case 1/2 turn and crimp again as this procedure can improve concentricity(sp?), some times known as run out. The FCD seems to have a mixed reputation on this forum but I am a HUGE fan as are many others. Regards, 1886.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Lee FCD is a fine tool but I prefer to use the seater dies roll crimp if it gives me a good crimp. I do own a dozen or more FCD`s and they are the cats meow on several rounds but not the .45-70 or the .30-30 for me. I use mostly RCBS dies and the roll crimp when used as a seperate step gives a fine crimp.
Now,where you want to crimp into the front driving band,the Lee FCD is the way to go. I do the same with the .32-20 with the Lyman 311008 PB bullet or the cartridge OAL will be too long. :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I failed to mention the obvious. Load density, how much powder is in the case will go a long way in keeping the bullet from being pushed back into the case by the mag. tube spring and recoil. 1886.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I use a Lee FCD for all my lever loads and they have proven to improve accuracy for my loads.
I am also a huge fan and do recommend them when loading lever action rounds
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I use a Lee LFC on pretty much everything I load--even for bolt actions. For boltguns, It's just a very light "bump" more than a real crimp. For one particular caliber (35 Remington) it's pretty much an indispensible tool. You could use the seating die for crimping this caliber--but the 35 case has a dinky little shoulder that can collapse pretty easily. The LFC die gets around this by design. It's a collet arrangement that applies force from the sides of the case neck, instead of the downward force that you could get by crimping in a seating die. The 35 has been considered by many to be a hard caliber to load for, largely because of that little case shoulder--the LFC die makes loading the grand ol' 35 Remmie much easier--cast bullets as well as jacketed.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have to echo JLCHucker too I bought my first Lee FCD due to problems loading the 35 Remington for a TC Contender barrel it solved all my problems there .
I now use them on almost every cartridge I can think of except 44 Special and 38 Special where the regular roll crimp does fine.
MY 30WCF loads improved greatly both cast and jacketed by using that. Single shot 45/70 loafds I DO not CRIMP. but all my other 45/70 rifles I do, and use the FCD exclusively .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great