OT Paul Newman

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

OT Paul Newman

Post by Hillbilly »

Read the other day that Paul was allowed to run his Corvette on one of the racetracks out west the other day.

Paul has cancer ... and they dont think he will see the winter through. They closed the track up and let him run a couple of hot laps............

I know he's "just" an actor... but by all accounts this man may literally be the last of a dying breed.

~Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Paul Newman

Post by kimwcook »

I loved Paul Newman in "Hombre". I need to get it in DVD. I haven't watched it in years.
Old Law Dawg
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Paul Newman was a legitimate race car driver, not just a poser. He raced competitively until fairly recently. He started in amateur SCCA road racing and then moved successfully into professional sports car racing. He and Carl Haas ran a Indy team, among other things.

From what I read about him in the car magazines, he was well respected by the other drivers. He did not act like a prima dona and just wanted to be treated like everyone else.

I have not heard what kind of cancer he has, but I have heard that he is not expected to live much longer. What a shame, but he should have no regrets. He has had a long and productive life well into his 80's. He has donated millions to charity by giving all the proceeds from the sale of his Newman food products to worthy causes. An all around good guy who will be missed. I am glad to hear that he got to take one last run around the race track. There are advantages to knowing that your end is near. May his last days be peaceful.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Cool, and a nice gesture by the track! 8)

He is one of those actors that I admire but I don't dig into his politcal beliefs. I respect him for what he's done on the screen and track and that's the image I want to keep.

Shakin' it here Boss! :mrgreen:
66GTO wrote:Paul Newman was a legitimate race car driver, not just a poser.
Craig T Nelson (from the show Coach IIRC) is the same way AFAIK. He was part of the Screaming Eagles IMSA/SCCA team and I saw him the couple of times they rolled through Texas. One time we were in the pits checking his pit area out with some other folks when someone else start leaning in and looking. Turned around and it was him having a little fun and acting like one of us looking in. :lol: Chatted with him a few minutes about racing, super nice guy.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

I got to watch him race at SCCA events several times & breifly met Newman at the awards dinner after the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta (Oct. 1980?).If I remember correctly he was driving a 1978 280Z and won CP class.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Paul Newman resided on a "gentleman's farm", nearby - just over the state border from me, in N.E. Connecticut; but I'm not sure if they are still in residence there, given his condition.

He used to do a lot of sports car racing in both CT and upper NY State - Limerock, Stafford Springs, and Watkins Glen, IIRC.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Paul Newman is a stand up guy on and off the big screen.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

kimwcook wrote:I loved Paul Newman in "Hombre". I need to get it in DVD. I haven't watched it in years.
A large portion of the movie Hombre was filmed in the Santa Rita MTNS South of Tucson.

The specific location is called Gun Sight Pass.

I used to enjoy taking people up there for there first time because if you come from the East side of the MTN when you drive up to the pass the trail falls sharply away, down and to the right and you think you are driving right out into space, at 5000 ft, your passengers would all be stomping the floor searching for the brake.

In the old days most every Sunday afternoon would find me and few buddies up there shooting clay pigeons. Wicked wind currents, up-drafts and down made for a fun time. Speaking of which a old acquaintance was killed up there last week, just a couple hundred yard's from the pass. http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/byauthor/94147

I like most of Newman's movies, but Hombre always makes me home sick.

I believe one of his last movies if not his last was-- Message In A Bottle.

good luck
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Paul has run his race car at Willows Springs here in the Antelope Valley near Rosamond. Cruise has driven there too. You can drive there when they have certain public events. I don't know which track he drove recently.

He also has Painted Turtle Ranch near here for disadvantage kids which is supported I believe by donations and his salad dressing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Another living legend seems to be not long for this world. There have been a few celebrities like him who truly put their money where their mouth is. Sadly, it has been only a few. Even though I disagree with some of his politics, I respect him as a man who backs up his beliefs with true action. May he be pain free for the remainder of his life.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

[quote="66GTO"]I have not heard what kind of cancer he has, but I have heard that he is not expected to live much longer. What a shame, but he should have no regrets. He has had a long and productive life well into his 80's. He has donated millions to charity by giving all the proceeds from the sale of his Newman food products to worthy causes. An all around good guy who will be missed. I am glad to hear that he got to take one last run around the race track. There are advantages to knowing that your end is near. May his last days be peaceful.
quote]

+1
It is not the critic who counts
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

YUP PAUL NEWMAN is a stand up guy Stood up in a full page add supporting MUMIA ABUL JAMAL the murderer of Off. Daniel Faulkner in Philadelphia .
Jamal was the one who stood over Danny Faulkner and said "DIe f--n-- pig " as he then executed him .
I wont let any of "NEWMANS OWN " IN MY HOUSE . He is just like all the otther Hollywood Politicos with a VERY left wing agenda .
MY father died of cancer so I do NOT wish that on any one but I do not have any respect for the man any more
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great