44 SPECIAL USERS - A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 44 SPECIAL USERS - A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

Post by GunnyMack »

Sure Jay can stop by anytime, I can easily hind the few things I have that YOU would want! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm on my way!
Don't worry, Six won't get that sweet 44. I'M going to keep it! That thing is the perfect size! By the way, that looks like my 66, so I better take that too!

The only 44 special I've had was an old Rossi 720. It was a stainless, 3", 5 shot that was maybe a little smaller than a k-frame. My dad still has one.
I'd like a 4.75" SAA in 44 though. If I had money, I'd have one made in a FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER with an extra 44-40 cylinder.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mickbr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 am Reading about all this 44 special stuff makes me want a lever gun to shoot them out of. This urge to have one keeps resurfacing
The 44 Spl. cartridge is only part of it.........the other part is the guns they came in....large frame but not beefy like a 44 Magnum...but, if you wanted to you could load em hot enough to kill an elk but not hurt the gun. It's a soooooo much more pleasant gun to carry. There is a larger room for error in handloading unlike the 45 Long Colt which usually has thin cylinder walls. Back in the day, like today, EVERYONE wanted the biggest so they opted for the 45 L.C. Instead of the 44 Spl. This resulted in a very low production rate of 44 Spl. guns.

Also back in da day (bro talk) most people did not handload and the 45 Long Colt was a considerably better killer than the 44 Spl. in factory form.

Loading 44 Spl's in a 44 Magnun makes ZERO sense if you handload...same goes wit 38 Spl/Mag...ZERO sense. ZERO. :D

Let's put it this way...it's a LOT easier finding a nice 1886 or 1873 Winchester for sale than it is to find a pre war 44 Spl. handgun. Post war Colts and a few Smiths are out there and probably make the best choice.......6...o.....
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now Six, let's get into zero sense. I have a very nice Ruger SBH 5 1/2" with regular frame. So far it's most accurate load is a Spl. So if I am set up on that Dillon to crank out 44 spl I can get all the power range I want from a Spl with about 17.0 gr of 2400, about 1250fps or load all those 750-800 fast shotgun powder loads or just drop the 2400 to 12.5. Those same loads are OK in the Mod 24. Plus they work in my B92. ;-) It's not a Rossi but what can you do?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use mostly .38 Special in my Ruger Speed Six. It is as accurate as I can shoot, probably much more accurate than I can shoot, and it shows no difference in accuracy with .357 or .38 Special brass. I use .357 Mag in my GP100. Since the Speed Six is a little smaller and lighter, it is easier to carry and can hide better. For 25 yards or less, the fixed sights on it are not any issue at all. For longer range targets, I prefer adjustable sights. Since the Special cases are super accurate in it and don't beat it up, then why use Magnum cases? I keep the Magnums for the GP100.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

mickbr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 am Reading about all this 44 special stuff makes me want a lever gun to shoot them out of. This urge to have one keeps resurfacing
Do it. I shoot factory 200gr Magtech “Cowboy” in my Chiappa 1892 clone. It’s fun!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I still say it makes ZERO sense when you can load the same load in a longer case that reduces the bullet jump. If you fit the bullet to the throat it will be more centrally lined up a greater distance with the bore in the longer case, and usually thicker brass that also helps to fill up the air space between case and cylinder wall.

It's why competitive guns which use the shorter case.....for example .22 short, 44 Russian, 38 Spl......chamber their guns for the shorter rounds despite those manufacturers making the exact same gun in the longer cartridges....an example ..Colts Python, Colts New Service Target, High Standard guns and about 50 others if I felt like taking the time to list them.

But that's me....it's none of my business what other people shoot out of their guns. It's a free country....at least it was until January 20, 2021. :D ----da bro.
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Bare with me gentleman
DSC_8219.JPG
, I just trying to figure out how to post photo's. 1981 made Marlin 1894 44 mag Ruger new Blackhawk in 44 spl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.