My latest project 444

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

My latest project 444

Post by reflex264 »

Finaly got around to sticking the brand new 1956 model K2.5 in JC Higgins trim in a set of brand new vintage 60's pivot mounts also unoppened till today on my 1968 444. Talk about cool. This stuff looks like it was made for each other and begs to be hunted with. Here it is.

Well boys I shot it today with the pivot and K2.5. I am in love!!!!!!!!!! Works perfect. Optics are clear and bright. No problem seeing the 100 yard target. After pivoting the mount it returns to zero perfectly. I am trying to land another set up to go on my late uncle's 1974 model 1895. Have the pivot brand new in pack. If he knew I had a Bushnell on it he would be a bit upset. He was Weaver's banker from right after WWII till Weaver's death in 75. Once I get it done I will post a pic.

Talk about a sweetheart. The 52 year old K2.5 is perfect. I can hit anything I want to offhanded at 100 yards. This thing is begging to go to the woods. What a neat old gun. 52 year old scope on a 40 year old rifle in 46? year old mounts. 138 years of experience. reflex264
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: My latest project 444

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Wow!!! That's SWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Very neat! I like new-old stuff. I am hoping that there will be some kind of range report in the future? Hmmm? :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Do not aim through the iron sights and shoot it with the scope pivoted off to the left like that, if you're a right-handed shooter - or you'll end up with a gash on your left eyebrow at best or eye damage at worst.

Do not ask me how I know this to be true.

Feel free to ask me what I did in 1967 with the same config, for the 1968 season.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

I finally got to bloody it. The set up works great. Shot this buck this morning. DRT with 265gr Hornady at 2150fps. reflex264

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats on the Buck :D !Nice retro rifle setup 8) .
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice rifle. Congratulations on the whitetail.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done.
Now the shot details please :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Ya just gotta love the Marlin .444. I love mine!!!

Thanks for the pics of the rifle and the deer.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: Congratulations! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Howdy fellers. I got soaked yesterday morning. The radar didn't look that bad. I had barely got situated in the tree when the bottom fell out. I took off 1/4 mile away to one of the blinds. The rain began to slack up. I took some Mrs. Doe Pee and sprayed it on a cotton scent wick 80 yards in front of the blind then sprayed the rest of it on the trees and ground around the wick. I had only been in the blind for about 15 minutes when a doe came out in front of me. She got even with the scent and sniffed a little. She looked back from where she came and the buck was right behind her. He got the the scent and peeled off from following her and started sniffing the doe pee I put out. They kept walking up to him and then turning to show him she was leaving but he wouldn't leave the mrs doe pee. I watched this go on for about 5 minutes. I examined the rack very close with binos. He has some weird things going on. I thought about it and the rifle I was carrying and decided this would make a good set of antlers to go with this rifle. I shot him right in front of the shoulder on a quartering shot. He was 82 yards by the range finder. He dropped so fast it looked like someone yanked the ground out from under him. The load was a 265gr Hornady over 41.0grs IMR4198 lit by a 210M. He isn't a monster but I had fun, after getting soaked with out my rain gear. The back straps are pretty big. We still have a 8pt main frame that will go 160+ hanging out but he is staying out of sight during the day. I am going to take these tarsel glands and place them so old big boy will think someone has invaded his turf. We have another week. Anything can happen. reflex264