Took the Mosin to the Range today ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Took the Mosin to the Range today ....

Post by JimT »

I had several different loads I wanted to test. One was the RCBS 190 gr. FNGC cast bullet. I used the bullets as cast but they were still shy of .312" and should have been larger. I loaded them with 11.5 gr. of Unique. This target is typical of the 50 yard accuracy I got.
IMG_3907.JPG
The other load was PPU 150 gr. JSP bullets loaded in PPU cases with Remington 9 1/2 primer. I pulled the bullets from some military ammo that was corrosive primed and just dumped each powder charge into a PPU case, then seated and crimped the PPU 150 gr. bullet. This is a typical target of the day.
IMG_3904.JPG
That right there would be the deer load. The old gun is not a tack driver but it will do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Took the Mosin to the Range today ....

Post by 2ndovc »

Interesting results with the cast bullets.

I've had really good results with the heavier bullets in my Nagants. The PPU 190 and Hornady 174s have both shot really well for me with 40-42 grains of Varget. They're all different though and some have huge variations in tolerances. The Soviets turned out massive numbers of the 91 and later models, it wasn't unusual to have worn machinery. If it was still working, it didn't get replaced unless it had to be. I've slugged bores from .311 to .314.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:15 pm Interesting results with the cast bullets.

I've had really good results with the heavier bullets in my Nagants. The PPU 190 and Hornady 174s have both shot really well for me with 40-42 grains of Varget. They're all different though and some have huge variations in tolerances. The Soviets turned out massive numbers of the 91 and later models, it wasn't unusual to have worn machinery. If it was still working, it didn't get replaced unless it had to be. I've slugged bores from .311 to .314.

jb 8)
This one is close to .314" ..... I was hoping the cast bullets would obturate enough ... but I think the alloy is too hard to allow that.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, from what I'm reading the Mosin probably has a faster twist rate than even my 303 Brit at 1:10 (Mosin 1:9.5 it looks like) It might be worth trying some of these for you, maybe:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/314-diamete ... 9-314.html

I thought I had some 215 grain bullets from Buff Arms at .314, but they are all packed up now and I can't even look for them now, move is imminent.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:32 pm Jim, from what I'm reading the Mosin probably has a faster twist rate than even my 303 Brit at 1:10 (Mosin 1:9.5 it looks like) It might be worth trying some of these for you, maybe:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/314-diamete ... 9-314.html

I thought I had some 215 grain bullets from Buff Arms at .314, but they are all packed up now and I can't even look for them now, move is imminent.

-Tutt
Certainly would be worth the try. Thanks my friend.
weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

Jim, if your ~.001-.002” undersized powdercoating might be worth a try
Last edited by weiler on Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

weiler wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:45 pm Jim, if your ~.001 undersized powdercoating might be worth a try
I need the diameter to be .315 and probably even a bit larger would not hurt.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Paper patch ?
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

harry wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:02 pmPaper patch ?
I think I will kick up the powder charge and try to get enough pressure to obturate the bullets properly. That will help. Later bullets of the correct diameter can be had.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Geeze Jim, with tolerances like that, maybe a smaller bullet and a sabot?? :lol: :lol: I can crunch some powder and pressure numbers in Quick Load if the cartridge is in its data base but some similar cartridges would come very close I suspect.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, these are available (for now at least) in .313-.315 diameter with their Hi-Tek coating:

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/prod ... 5gr-sp-gc/

They are pretty hard though at BHN 22 and with a gas check. What I have been finding is that bullet supplies are often drying up so sometimes it is best to strike while you can.

Regards,

-Tutt

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:43 pm Geeze Jim, with tolerances like that, maybe a smaller bullet and a sabot?? :lol: :lol: I can crunch some powder and pressure numbers in Quick Load if the cartridge is in its data base but some similar cartridges would come very close I suspect.
-Tutt
Thanks my friend. I have been cogitating on it with Mic. So far we are still under control. :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good for you, you are in the best of hands! -A-

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Paper patch with your bullets sounds like an idea to at least try. No, I am not any sort of expert. I have read about paper patching bullets for use in long range shooting such as at Creedmoore. If it worked there, it might work for your rifle. Then again, it might be a lot of work for little gain.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

"The Paper Jacket" by Paul Matthews is very helpful along this line of thinking.