Best $200 I've spent in a long time!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Best $200 I've spent in a long time!!

Post by 2ndovc »

The kiddo and I went up to our place in PA to do some yard work, repairs and make sure it was ready for winter. We got that all out of the way Thursday, for the most part anyway. We still have to get a new roof on the place.
First thing Friday morning Quentin got out his Wrangler and some .22s and out he went. Some of you might remember that Quint is disabled and Autistic. He has problems with more complicated or complex things like autoloaders. Anything manually operated he's just fine. He's taken to the little Ruger I bought him last Christmas like a duck to water! He'll spend hours plinking away at plastic bottles and bowling pins.
:D
I put box or so of .38 Spls through the RHKP Model 10. I have and have had quite a few .38s over the years, but I'm really enjoying this one. It was on my hip for most of the trip.
Got the new Lyman 66 on the Marlin and got it on paper. Working on some 170 grn. JFP handloads and more cast bullet loads as well. This one is definitely a keeper.
Practiced some offhand shooting with the Tikka/ Franken Finn. Really love shooting that rifle.
Never got to the AK. Just wanted to relax and read for a bit.. Start new job Monday morning, kinda nice to have a few days with nothing to worry about.
Obligatory dog picture. Can't hide from all those big ears! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Best $200 I've spent in a long time!!

Post by wecsoger »

Agree on the Wrangler. Ruger nailed it on this product, it's highly underrated.

If he does any dry firing, get some of the yellow concrete screw inserts (cheaper than dummy rounds) to protect the chamber.

Got a thumbsnap ebay holster for mine which adds to the utility.

Now if I could just upgrade the aging eyes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good for the kid; he may well have found the first thing (hopefully of many) in which he can do BETTER than 'normal' kids. That is of huge importance in a young'uns life, whether they have a 'labeled' diagnosis or not (even the ones without a labeled thing going on still have insecurities, get teased, and benefit from something they know they are better at than other kids, whether it is a sport, painting, trigonometry, or...shooting. I think if the thing is an 'adult' thing it has more mojo in the kid world, and especially if it is a firearms related thing, because so many kids are denied those activities right off the bat.

Although I appreciate my Ruger Single Six as a finely tuned watch, there is a role for just an ordinary basic utility-grade revolver that everyone can afford, is tough enough to be kidproof, and accurate enough to be fun.

Quentin might turn his like for shooting into an interest in firearms that could be the path to overcoming his issues with 'mechanical' things; I wouldn't be shocked to learn he became a gunsmith down the road. I had a patient who was very challenged with anything more complex than a belt buckle.....until his grandpa build a go-cart with him when he was around ten years old. The kid mostly watched and tool-fetched, but of course when an idler pulley spring would come loose or whatever, grandpa would fix it, but insist he 'help'. By his junior year in high school he knew enough about 'engine stuff' to be comfortable taking auto shop - he feared being made fun of as 'slow' (or less flattering synonyms) so would often hesitate to take a new or 'hard' class. He excelled, in large part with the help of a great and encouraging teacher, and now some 20 years later he's one of the top guys in a local transmission repair shop. For a kid from a family of artsy academics, that was an awesome outcome.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Doc,
You are right about the kids that with disabilities that go unnoticed or ignored by parents and school systems. Having a background in psychology and specifically developmental psychology gave me a pretty good understanding of his issues. It's also one of the reasons we moved back to the city I grew up in. They have an outstanding special needs program that goes hand in hand with the vocational school in our county.
Quint I get, his little brother who's about to turn thirty, totally eludes me.
He got luck in middle and high school. A group of the "cool girls" kind of looked after him, not letting anyone give him a hard time. :D

Wes,

The plastic anchor idea is definitely worth a try. thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure I have some in the garage.

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, Jason, a beloved son having a ball with a .22 sixgun, winterizing work on the cabin, running some .38 Special through a Smith and having three dogglies waiting for you by the fire -- this is the stuff that dreams are made of mister, and I sure hope you realize how blessed you are. You could have far, far less. Ask me about it. 8) :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The best kind of days. Glad you guys got out.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jason, that is just AWESOME! :D
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Simply AWESOME. Nothing better than getting to spend time with those you love doing something you enjoy.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Time! :D .
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:24 pm The kiddo and I went up to our place in PA to do some yard work, repairs and make sure it was ready for winter. We got that all out of the way Thursday, for the most part anyway. We still have to get a new roof on the place.
First thing Friday morning Quentin got out his Wrangler and some .22s and out he went. Some of you might remember that Quint is disabled and Autistic. He has problems with more complicated or complex things like autoloaders. Anything manually operated he's just fine. He's taken to the little Ruger I bought him last Christmas like a duck to water! He'll spend hours plinking away at plastic bottles and bowling pins.
I put box or so of .38 Spls through the RHKP Model 10. I have and have had quite a few .38s over the years, but I'm really enjoying this one. It was on my hip for most of the trip.
Got the new Lyman 66 on the Marlin and got it on paper. Working on some 170 grn. JFP handloads and more cast bullet loads as well. This one is definitely a keeper.
Practiced some offhand shooting with the Tikka/ Franken Finn. Really love shooting that rifle.
Never got to the AK. Just wanted to relax and read for a bit.. Start new job Monday morning, kinda nice to have a few days with nothing to worry about.

jb 8)
what are the doggies names? i like the one in the front, interesting coat color combination
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jackson is the black and white one in front. He's a Rat Terrier, fifteen pounds of evil genius. Bandit is the brown one, he was my mom's dog that we brought home when she passed. Sweetest little Dachshund/ Chihuahua mix, that loves everybody. He's my road trip buddy, the other two aren't big in rides in the truck. Sabrina is in the back, and Quint's best buddy. She's a Jack Russell/ Fox Terrier mix that follows him around like a shadow.
We left our Lab home to look after Bubbles. She's my wife's dog anyway. I've always had big dogs and really miss my Labs and Great Dane, but these little ones are a trip and we haven't had any mice problems for years! :D

Bill,
Thank you for those really kind words! I'm a lucky guy for sure!

jb 8)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool pard, love the dogs. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love reading posts like this! One of my granddaughters is a high level autistic, and at 22 years old she's doing pretty well. But she has almost no friends as she's emotionally, and socially much younger than anyone her age. But we're extremely proud of what she does, and who she is.
Glad your son has found something he loves, and that you can enjoy together!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Jackson is the black and white one in front. He's a Rat Terrier, fifteen pounds of evil genius"... I related here some time ago that I spent an afternoon in Pittsburg at the house one of My Wife's Family. They had a Rat Terrier , and it took about 15 minuets to find out this was the Smartest Dog I had ever been around. I could fill the page with the things it would do. but when the party was over we left....and some time later I found out they gave that dog away. :cry: . I about cried, and I could never have any dog but a Rat Terrier.......
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:19 pm "Jackson is the black and white one in front. He's a Rat Terrier, fifteen pounds of evil genius"... I related here some time ago that I spent an afternoon in Pittsburg at the house one of My Wife's Family. They had a Rat Terrier , and it took about 15 minuets to find out this was the Smartest Dog I had ever been around. I could fill the page with the things it would do. but when the party was over we left....and some time later I found out they gave that dog away. :cry: . I about cried, and I could never have any dog but a Rat Terrier.......
That's how I got Jackson. A friend's neighbors daughter brought him home without asking and they couldn't keep him. I'd played with him a couple of times working on my friends house and she told me they were going to take him to the pound. Not a chance! I went over and asked If I could have him. That was about ten years ago. Coolest little dog, smart and well behaved but he has a dark side too. He's very selective about who he likes and doesn't. If he doesn't, he will let you know! :D

jb 8)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:29 pm I love reading posts like this! One of my granddaughters is a high level autistic, and at 22 years old she's doing pretty well. But she has almost no friends as she's emotionally, and socially much younger than anyone her age. But we're extremely proud of what she does, and who she is.
Glad your son has found something he loves, and that you can enjoy together!
Quentin turned 32 this year and the description of your granddaughter is very similar. He only has a couple of friends and the one that we really like, moved away this summer. Quint doesn't show a lot of emotion, but I could tell he was upset. His friend has similar disabilities and the only other person on the planet, that can walk in unannounced that the dogs don't even bark. Even Jackson will go and sit next to him like he's part of the family. A high honor in this house!

jb 8)

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

rossim92 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:51 am
2ndovc wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:24 pm The kiddo and I went up to our place in PA to do some yard work, repairs and make sure it was ready for winter. We got that all out of the way Thursday, for the most part anyway. We still have to get a new roof on the place.

jb 8)
what are the doggies names? i like the one in the front, interesting coat color combination
I thought it was a rat terrier. just haven't seen the color layout like that. we have one. was a stray at the pound, sweeeet little thing,, will go home with anybody. she doesn't really like car rides or doctor visits at the vet.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jackson hates being in the truck. He didn't get any car time as a puppy and still doesn't like it. Bandit on the other hand, runs for the door as soon as he hears my keys. I take him on some of the long distance claims with me. Makes the ride more enjoyable. :D

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Our granddaughter went to a private Christian school from kindergarten up to 4th grade, and did poorly. She was an outcast, and bullied; but the teachers allowed it to continue. Her one friend was her protector, and that's why they stayed friends ever since. Her grades there were mediocre, and our daughter just couldn't get the school to change or admit they did anything wrong.
She moved her to public school where the had teachers and a system setup to help kids with special needs and she immediately thrived. She went from a C+ student to a straight A student. The teachers asked our daughter to enroll her in an advanced school for kids that were higher intelligence, and just happened that school was 6 blocks down the same street we live on. She continued to get the highest grades through grade school, and high school, and graduate high school with honors. Went on to community college with a scholarship, and held a job at college in the student info center through her time at the college. So she actually made money as she got her free education.
She's worked for the same company she started at during college, and somehow managed the two jobs, college, and straight A's. We always figured it was because she had no interest in dating, or socializing, and just preferred to stay busy. Once she graduated she's slowed down to doing the advertising display job, which takes her all over the area here setting up store displays. She works alone, and is responsible, so the company loves her. But we'd like her to get a higher paying job, and she hates change, so doesn't want to leave it. Change has always been a real emotional issue for her.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Let him try taking a few mechanical things apart, and see if he can put them back together. He might have a skill with things like that.

Glad he likes revolvers. They are something he can have in common with a lot of good people.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:16 am Our granddaughter went to a private Christian school from kindergarten up to 4th grade, and did poorly. She was an outcast, and bullied; but the teachers allowed it to continue. Her one friend was her protector, and that's why they stayed friends ever since. Her grades there were mediocre, and our daughter just couldn't get the school to change or admit they did anything wrong.
She moved her to public school where the had teachers and a system setup to help kids with special needs and she immediately thrived. She went from a C+ student to a straight A student. The teachers asked our daughter to enroll her in an advanced school for kids that were higher intelligence, and just happened that school was 6 blocks down the same street we live on. She continued to get the highest grades through grade school, and high school, and graduate high school with honors. Went on to community college with a scholarship, and held a job at college in the student info center through her time at the college. So she actually made money as she got her free education.
She's worked for the same company she started at during college, and somehow managed the two jobs, college, and straight A's. We always figured it was because she had no interest in dating, or socializing, and just preferred to stay busy. Once she graduated she's slowed down to doing the advertising display job, which takes her all over the area here setting up store displays. She works alone, and is responsible, so the company loves her. But we'd like her to get a higher paying job, and she hates change, so doesn't want to leave it. Change has always been a real emotional issue for her.
Change is a big issue for Quint as well.
We works for Goodwill at a distribution center and he loves his job. They hire a lot of people with disabilities and they love him there as he is much higher functioning than most of the group. He got his tow motor certification a couple of years ago, so that's a big part of his job as well as packaging the items that can't be resold for recycling.
His Super Power is working with animals. We've been trying to find a veterinarians office that could use some help, cleaning and exercising the animals. I know he couldn't handle working at a shelter and I don't blame him either. I'd have about 15 dogs at home.

Brian,
The mechanical thing is hard to pinpoint. He can put things together that is just impressive. If you give him a piece of furniture that came in a box, as long as it has good directions, he can put it together better than I can. If he doesn't have a picture to go by, he's lost.

Just who he is, He's a happy kid and that's all I care about. :D

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's interesting about the "mechanical" part and your son following good directions. My granddaughter is adamant about looking at, and following assembly sheets. She bought her mom a full sized arcade game back about 4 years ago for Christmas, and asked me to assist her in assembling it. Of course I did the typical guy thing and began assembly without looking at the instructions. She stopped me as I was getting ahead of the directions, and told me I was doing it in the wrong order. So I had to follow along as she read the directions, and helped me put it together.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:51 am That's interesting about the "mechanical" part and your son following good directions. My granddaughter is adamant about looking at, and following assembly sheets. She bought her mom a full sized arcade game back about 4 years ago for Christmas, and asked me to assist her in assembling it. Of course I did the typical guy thing and began assembly without looking at the instructions. She stopped me as I was getting ahead of the directions, and told me I was doing it in the wrong order. So I had to follow along as she read the directions, and helped me put it together.
This kind of reminds me of an old roommate. She was a highly intelligent MANUFACTURING ENGINEER. :wink: One day I came home and she was trying to put a retractable door sweep on. She was struggling and after about a half hour of watching, from a distance, I asked why she doesn't just read the instructions. She yelled, "I'm an ENGINEER dm it! We don't read instructions." :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.