Early Savage model 29

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Early Savage model 29

Post by Pat C »

I picked up a Savage model 29 from early 30's that has a pristine bore .Unknown to me though and quite common is it had a loose barrel .
Simple tapered pin that holds it . I drove it out to inspect and found no wear but a very sloppy shank to receiver fit.
.005-.007 clearance .Bore was slightly egged.

Couple fixes went through my mind but the one that did no harm came back every time. I chose to cut precisely fitted precision steel shim stock sheet to fit barrel shank.
.0025" was selected to a snug wiggle on fit them seat with plastic mallet.

Worked excellent , now this classic is rock solid and waiting for better weather to test fire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Early Savage model 29

Post by .45colt »

Very Good, should be fun to test fire that one!. :D .
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I couldn't believe how loose the barrel was, with receiver in vice I could move muzzle 3/16" side to side.Apparently that way since new. Originally I was going to bore .010 more out of receiver and helicoil 5/8-18 .Then single point thread the shank which is already .625 .
That would have been great fix but the shim method is completely reversible and took out the play .Combined with tapered pin should be good to go.

As you can see the bore is nice, have some Remington standard velocity target loads to test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Nice work. Love them old pumps.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Me too, always wanted a model 29 but never knew of the problems these can have. Not only can they suffer from loose barrels but many have damaged locking lugs from shooting high velocity ammo.
Luckily this one is good on the lugs.

Savage claim on these was short throw action , plus the cheaper price.

Few pics showing the internals,the bolt is all milled with double claw extractors.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Dont know diddly about working on them yet, but I have a minty Savage 1914, a Marlin 20a, and a Rem 12CS. Still havent found a good deal on a Winchester.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have with the same issue. I will have to give that a try. They are fun to shoot. I seen one cocked up next to a door at the chainsaw shop. The old timer there at the time told me he bought it new and was still shooting squirrels with it. He said he won many a turkey shoot with it. If certain guys new he was going they didn't bother to show up.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I made a dome shaped brass punch to remove the taper pin.It comes out on the left side where Savage trademark is. Be careful when tapping on it as the metal is thin around the slide mortise.

The rifle is pretty simple takedown, under the slide in the mortises there is a ball bearing.Watch out and don't loose as this acts as a cartridge stop.

My barrel shank/receiver bore was egg shaped and to much clearance. Apparently this is very common on the early model 29.

I only wrapped the shim on top and around sides and stopped at edge of pin slots.
Steel is a must and even then you have to be careful starting the two and not wrinkle edge .You only need enough so it just starts by hand then light tap on fit.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

You can see the gap at the barrel shoulder in the as receiver state. I could get .010 feeler gage under it.
You can also see the image of the octagon barrel as it clanked against receiver face.

If I had one that was used hard and showed wear to barrel and receiver the heli coil method would be excellent choice. But since this one wasn't worn I figure anytime you can repair an old piece without permanently altering that's best choice.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Neat pump. I sure wish the bore on my Winchester 1906 was as nice as the one on your Model 29.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I lucked out on a really clean 1906 with a perfect bore several years ago.Pretty hard to find.
My 1890 in 22 WRF not so much ,its pitted with worn rifling.but still capable of hunting accuracy at 25 yards.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

10 shot group at 25 yrd s resting off my knee with Remington target ammo. I'd say squirrels wouldn't be safe .Anouther old rifle brought back to live again!!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Yes sireee. That'll do fine. Nice shootin.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Thanks, I'm pretty satisfied with the results.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Oldncrusty wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:45 am Yes sireee. That'll do fine. Nice shootin.
+1
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Great to see craftmanship and ingenuity at work! Well done!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Thanks for the comments, special thanks goes out to Geneb over on Gunboards. He is probably one of the most knowledable folks on these old Savage .22's
He was the one that told me to check the locking lugs ,as these rifles are standard velocity only .High speed ammo can destroy them.luckily mine was good shape.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice find, and congratulations on making it perform as it was meant to perform.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Thanks , I've always wanted one but the stars never aligned until now. The little pump are what called short throw action The cycle distance is half of Winchesters 61.
The barrel has same dimensions as the 1890 .
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Gene said he didn't believe checkering was factory ,but close up he said quality was nice but really didn't know.
Doesn't match any he has or has seen before.
It actually looks better than standard normal pattern .
Anybody that can verify that would be great.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I know you people are getting tired of me posted about this rifle but I can't help myself.

10 shot group 25 yrd s improvised rest ,Kneeling with rifle bagged on top sawhorse.
Rem target .400 gp. 100 10x's.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome. Gonna have to dig mine out now.