speaking of canoes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of canoes

Post by Grizz »

this image shows the drainages and water courses that abound. not all are navigable. not all are safe. wait, is water safe? here is a recent canoe story that addresses the questions.

https://22rivers.com/2021/12/20/two-yea ... -by-canoe/
img20211108_18105530.png
smiles go here :)

and another "trip" . . .
https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/c ... -underway/

more smiles eh?
AND: https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/c ... -by-canoe/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: speaking of canoes

Post by piller »

Canoes are certainly useful. They can go almost anywhere.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an old 10' HiLaker and 6hp short Nissan that I never use. Trailers are a PITA.

If I sell and replace it, I'm thinking a Sea Eagle inflatable pontoon raft. I've followed those down some pretty nasty rivers in my erstwhile drift boat and they just be bouncing off the rocks with seemingly zero stability problems..... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

The Epitaph of Dan McGrew

Here lies dastardly dan mcgrew.....
Too intrepid to be true.....
He met his fate when attempting rape
While standing in a leaky canoe.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 pm I have an old 10' HiLaker and 6hp short Nissan that I never use. Trailers are a PITA.

If I sell and replace it, I'm thinking a Sea Eagle inflatable pontoon raft. I've followed those down some pretty nasty rivers in my erstwhile drift boat and they just be bouncing off the rocks with seemingly zero stability problems..... :idea:
i see them on the Colorado River videos. they look like cold wet fun.

I found another canoe tale book in my book case. 21,500 Miles Alone in a Canoe by Don B. Watson. It is a shaggy boat story but he saw a lot of America, ending up in Alaska. When he got back he got married and with his new wife circumnavigated the globe in a John G. Hannah designed Tahiti Ketch, a world famous long distance sailboat design. Very comfortable floatel.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 pm
Blaine wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:05 pm I have an old 10' HiLaker and 6hp short Nissan that I never use. Trailers are a PITA.

I found another canoe tale book in my book case. 21,500 Miles Alone in a Canoe by Don B. Watson. It is a shaggy boat story but he saw a lot of America, ending up in Alaska. When he got back he got married and with his new wife circumnavigated the globe in a John G. Hannah designed Tahiti Ketch, a world famous long distance sailboat design. Very comfortable floatel.
No doubt you've read Kon Tiki.....I don't think they had as much fun :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:04 am
Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 pm

No doubt you've read Kon Tiki.....I don't think they had as much fun :lol:
I think getting off the raft would have been a high point.. Thor proved his theory, but I think history disproves his point. Although, there is a man who left Argentina in a native dugout canoe, got rolled and lost All his navigation equipment, and talked himself into proceeding, navigating by stars and other hints and clues. He succeeded wildly, sailed through south Pacific, wound up in Philippines, did lots of sailing throughout asia, and I believe maybe got it out of his system, took his wife home to Argentina and settled down on the family ranch. I wonder what his children did.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow. Had not thought about Thor Heyerdahl in many years. Dad had a copy of "Kon Tiki" on the bookshelf along with "Swiss Family Robinson." I loved them both as a grasshopper.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:48 pmWow. Had not thought about Thor Heyerdahl in many years. Dad had a copy of "Kon Tiki" on the bookshelf along with "Swiss Family Robinson." I loved them both as a grasshopper.
Both great reads... :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

canoe-sublime-cabin-model.jpg
I might have mentioned that a canoe can be enclosed for cruising. I don't recommend this model, although I enjoy his chutzpah.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Had a nice 15 ft. canoe back about 40 yrs. ago. I enjoyed it, but the length was all I wanted even back when I was younger a stronger. But what put me off a canoe is they're tippy. I dumped mine a couple times, and once just setting the hook on a big bass, which resulted in me losing all my fishing tackle when it flipped over.
I now have a kayak that's a 9.5 ft. and much more stable. I like it much more, and it's more stable, and lighter to pack.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Some my best memories of hunting and fishing where by canoe! I've been in love with them since the early 70's, have a Old Town Penobscot 164 now, weighs 75lb. Had its about twin before that. Borh made of Polethylene. The right canoe for its purpose, is the most useful, graceful, workhorse on the water. Canoe hulls are very different and can best be described as either a Whitewater or Tripping Canoe. The Tripping Canoe, which mine is, is meant for best use in big flat water, to carry large loads and very stable. A Whitewater Canoe is meant for rivers and such, may also carry a large load, but are made to roll with the fast drops of Whitewater. Basically a Tripping Canoe has poor initial stability, seems tippy at first easily, but great secondary stability, won't flip even tho it tips easily. The bottoms are almost flat, wider in middle.
Whereas a good Whitewater Canoe is shaped more like a banana, so that it has some hull in the water, whether the front or back, as it constantly is tossed up and down in rough rivers. But a Whitewater Canoe seems to have good initial stability, but probably poor secondary stability. In other words, you'll think your fine next you're in the water. A Canoe that's claimed to be good for all is probably poor for either!
I've loaded mine with a full comfortable camp supplied for 4 days, literally no room left, me barely able to get in and paddled straight and still with reasonable ease for near 2 miles, camp for 3 nights. I mean a big tent, 2 big coolers with ice to last, tarps, everything needed for a comfortable camp! It's unreal the load a good Tripping Canoe can carry, and they track straight, with a good J Stroke, with little effort!
Canoe camping and hunting is my idea of the best getaway into the wild there is!
Fishing out of one? Never really cared much for that, we always waded to fish, jump in float to another spot, over and over. But with a good partner, one paddles, sets his buddy up in the front for good fishing. We did lot that in my younger years. My best friend has an old Alumacraft 17ft that's a great Canoe, tough as nails, better river Canoe than mine, and a little lighter. I'd like to have an old Grumman, but for my use, my Old Town is just right. Only one better if I could have one would be the Old Town Tripper 17ft that was made of Roylex, probably 10-15lbs lighter than the one I have now. But they don't make it anymore.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Drawdown, good info. I totally agree about usage. On the Alaska Hunting Forum there is a section on canoeing. Guys are getting into the tributaries for moose and packing them out in freight canoes. They can pack out the camp and a whole moose. They use engines because they can't paddle uphill fast enough. They would probably paddle OK for hunting the shallow waterways. They resemble the smaller North Eastern freight canoes.

I used to hunt from a 14 foot Lund, one of the world's greatest skiffs, could go offshore in tough weather. I had a 2 or 3 horse suzuki for hunting that was so quiet that the very spooked beach zone deer wouldn't run from it. We had 6 tags each and could get a load of deer in that boat!

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:47 pm Had a nice 15 ft. canoe back about 40 yrs. ago. I enjoyed it, but the length was all I wanted even back when I was younger a stronger. But what put me off a canoe is they're tippy. I dumped mine a couple times, and once just setting the hook on a big bass, which resulted in me losing all my fishing tackle when it flipped over.
I now have a kayak that's a 9.5 ft. and much more stable. I like it much more, and it's more stable, and lighter to pack.
sometimes kayaks are better. I hunted out of one in Alaska until a storm got it. I wouldn't take any unpowered open canoe in those outside waters. But for anchoring up in a wild spot and exploring from a kayak or canoe, that can't be beat. Talking Multnomah Channel or upper reaches of the Willamette, v.s. the Columbia for safe boating. Not that you can hunt much of that area from the water.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

You're right Grizz, up north is where you find the real canoe users and best made canoes! Most people think, a canoe is a canoe, and that can easily be true. But in depth, nothing is further from the truth! I wish I had lot more "canoe huntable waters" available!
Those freighters are amazing what they are capable of being used for! And the shorter one man canoes are much more usable, capable of packing a large load, that a Kayak can't touch.
Before I got my present one, I seriously considered the Old Town 11'9" One Man (name?), but when I go on the occasional serious hunting-camping, they're a little too small!
Besides, my Penobscot is no trouble and light enough to do either, so it's as versatile as I could ask for!
Now if a lot of Portaging is required, weight is everything, thus the benefits of the Royalex and Kevlar Canoes.
The right canoe for your use is as versatile as the right rifle and the choices are available. The Kayaks gave taken a lot of the canoe business, and the reason companies like Old Town have cut their selection.
But the higher dollar companies that still make super lightweight canoes are still out there, and seems up north, canada!
I fished a lot in the 70's-80's in a 14ft Lund v bottom, my best friend that now has the alumacraft canoe owned. Everything Lund made was top affordable quality! We beat that boat to death, still good as new at the end.
The old timers back in the good days really put canoes, aluminum boats to use, cause they was affordable and dependable, longevity! Working man couldn't afford a helicopter or plain lift, but the wilderness was accessible with the right tools, and a good Winchester Levergun! Truths the truth. Look up at what the Fred Bears, Townsend Whelens used! In the 60's-80's, every magazine you picked up, someone had an article where a canoe was the transportation! Once you get a canoe going, under control, they paddle effortlessly almost. Nowadays people just frown at a paddle!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:02 am
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:47 pm Had a nice 15 ft. canoe back about 40 yrs. ago. I enjoyed it, but the length was all I wanted even back when I was younger a stronger. But what put me off a canoe is they're tippy. I dumped mine a couple times, and once just setting the hook on a big bass, which resulted in me losing all my fishing tackle when it flipped over.
sometimes kayaks are better. I hunted out of one in Alaska until a storm got it. I wouldn't take any unpowered open canoe in those outside waters. But for anchoring up in a wild spot and exploring from a kayak or canoe, that can't be beat. Talking Multnomah Channel or upper reaches of the Willamette, v.s. the Columbia for safe boating. Not that you can hunt much of that area from the water.
The kayak I bought is one of the style you sit in vs. sit on top of. I tried a friend's where you sit on top and it isn't as stable as sitting inside the kayak. I stumbled onto a sale this summer at Costco for these kayaks for $260 complete with double end paddle, and a kit to strap it on top of a vehicle. I'd just sold my one man pontoon boat, and the price was the cheapest I'd seen for a name brand kayak! Haven't used it much this year, but hope to use it more next season. I mostly fish small water, and creeks, so shallow draft boats with ease of hauling down to the water are a must. Some of the creeks I fish over in eastern Oregon are tough to get to the water's edge, and then you either have to wade them, or use a kayak to fish them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Marlinman that sounds ideal. you can see a lot of wild life from the water because most of the 4-leg animals I've seen are indifferent to objects in the water. scared the spit out of a big brownie one day when he caught my scent. second funniest thing i ever saw from the kayak . . .
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

One the great things about canoes are, so easy to grab & go. I back my truck under it, loaded in 2 minutes. Hang it back up easily in about 10 minutes no problem. Plus they can add to your camp if you like. Pitch a lean-to-tarp over it laying on its side, you have a solid wall wind break. Even sleep under if no shelter. When I was a teenager and in boy scouts, we had a big boy scout camp near here. Small lake with plenty canoes, and they taught us first thing to learn what it took to flip one, what you could safely get away with before flipping one. And to flip one on purpose. Then how to get on it flip it back over in the water. Then climb in and paddle to shore, the canoe under you because they have floatation. Paddle it to shore like a submarine. People who are not used to them, when it tilts and rolls a little, panic. Grab the sides, put all their weight on the Gunwales and over they go. You learn to keep your weight in the middle, and you can stand and move around, let it tilt & roll without flipping! I can honestly say, I've never flipped a canoe in all these years, except by trying too!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20221013_152720.jpg
Good idea is to add 4-5 ft of the Gorilla Duct tape to each ends V, for a wear strip from the constant rubbing coming ashore. The Gorilla is lot thicker and tougher last longer than the regular Duct tape I used to use.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that IS a fine canoe, and a good setup for setting it on your rack. I like the tape idea too.

Yup step in the middle. I've said that a lot. Even in a skiff, step into the middle, or as close as you can. There must be thousands of videos of people stepping on a thwart at the rail or on the rail and not making it into the boat. when the boat lists, backwards if the easiest place to go! LOL

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Grizz, I'm partial to rowing dories especially when out on the Pacific ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usq0unFPGYU
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8aUWZDFwZh4
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to see you Ji......... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Relatives had ones called 'Royalite' that were before fiberglass but very durable plastic. They were easier to repair than fiberglass at the time, if a mishap happened.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:53 am Aloha Grizz, I'm partial to rowing dories especially when out on the Pacific ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usq0unFPGYU
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8aUWZDFwZh4
Ah Ji ! So good to see you and your boat!! You have a fantastic boat. It's good to see you rowing too. Thanks for the videos! Will you put a sail up? Or an outrigger? Ama?

I used to row across S.F. Bay westward from the E shore and back. at night. you remind me of my rowing and it's lots of smiles to see you.

He gives power to the faint, and to them who have no might He increases strength.

mahalo, grizz
045_002.jpeg
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 am
Ah Ji ! So good to see you and your boat!! You have a fantastic boat. It's good to see you rowing too. Thanks for the videos! Will you put a sail up? Or an outrigger? Ama?

I used to row across S.F. Bay westward from the E shore and back. at night. you remind me of my rowing and it's lots of smiles to see you.

He gives power to the faint, and to them who have no might He increases strength.

mahalo, grizz

045_002.jpeg

Thank you Sir, good to see you too. My dory is strictly a rower so no outriggers that would get in the way of the oars. I do have a outrigger I made for my 11' canoe when I run a motor on her square stern. I inherited this dory pictured here, from my dad. It's a Pearson Rowing Dory made in Moss Landing, Ca. I recently finished replacing her dry-rotted gunwales with ABS gunwales, and matching nylon oarlocks. Also repainted her interior. She's pure joy to row even with my bum back. She handles roughs seas quite well.
Is that your old Aeolus Dory? Thole pins instead of oarlocks, the way my dad preferred his Aeolus rigged for rowing too. You still have it? Grand Banks is my favorite type of rowing dory, though a 26' diesel powered Saint Pierre is still my dream power dory.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:52 am Good to see you Ji......... :D
Same here sir. I hope you are in good health. I have been enjoying Manchester City football for a while now, with Manchester United a close second. Watched City trounce United a couple weeks back, good game.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ji, I haven't read the whole post, but you are much missed here and glad to see you post once again. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I hooked a huge channel catfish at Tygart Lake (here in WV). The lake is notorious for monster cats. My buddy and I were in a 12' aluminum canoe and that danged cat drug us well over 300 yards before he broke the line. We still talk about it.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:10 am
Grizz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 am

mahalo, grizz

045_002.jpeg

Thank you Sir, good to see you too. My dory is strictly a rower so no outriggers that would get in the way of the oars. I do have a outrigger I made for my 11' canoe when I run a motor on her square stern. I inherited this dory pictured here, from my dad. It's a Pearson Rowing Dory made in Moss Landing, Ca. I recently finished replacing her dry-rotted gunwales with ABS gunwales, and matching nylon oarlocks. Also repainted her interior. She's pure joy to row even with my bum back. She handles roughs seas quite well.
Is that your old Aeolus Dory? Thole pins instead of oarlocks, the way my dad preferred his Aeolus rigged for rowing too. You still have it? Grand Banks is my favorite type of rowing dory, though a 26' diesel powered Saint Pierre is still my dream power dory.
Ji ! You did a fantastically great job on your dory! It looks wonderful. I still remember the photo of your Dad and the dory on the beach. Fantastic legacy and heritage.

Notice that the dory in the photo is not lapstrake construction. It is 16 feet bottom length and 20 feet overall. NONSTANDARD construction, but all douglas fir. double bottom. 5/8 sides. nonstandard caulking gaps. lots of knots in the wrong places. stuff like that. I am going to remove the centerboard trunk and spline the bottom and topside seams, then a seagoing dose of fiberglass, then a deck. this boat is similar in size to Alfred Johnson's Centennial, but with a wider bottom, and deserves to return to the sea.
Centennial.jpg
The Aeolus I have is in the shop for some reconstructive surgery. Transom needs replacement. I added one inch of marine ply to the bottom of that boat. It too will be decked.

And then I plan to marry the two this way:
22-10-15-091149.jpeg
not exactly Hawaiian, not exactly Wharram, and not exactly Grand Banks, but related I think.

if I get this far, then I can get that far. It's my long range plan. :) to eventually head here:
Enoshima.png
where my grand children play . . .
people scoff at the idea but of course they don't know that a Tiki21 "Cooking Fat" circumnavigated the globe. and thousands of others, including an open boat, have also, I am just following in the wakes of others. and if I seek the trades, I will see you as well Ji.

I hope all is well with you and yours,

grizz

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

You gentleman who go down to sea in such small craft deserve applause (and our ardent prayers interceding on your behalf) !
Last edited by Ray on Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Ray!
so great.jpg
called the Breton Fisherman's Prayer
signal-2022-10-15-111740-Psalm 107.png
I think all seafarers pray some times, thanks for yours!!

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ji, good to see you back. How are you doing?
Last I remember is that you were moving.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

THIS is the cat that circled the globe, well, both of them . . .
Screenshot 2022-09-20 221214.png
one of the biggest TIPS to doing this is to KEEP THE WATER OUTSIDE :!:

I KNOW, Right?

AND stay far ahead of the boat [a mental preoccupation], AND read the water, AND listen to the boat, etc.

I believe it is entirely possible that trans ocean voyages were being made by humans whenever they encountered a forest at the edge of an ocean. If there is material to make bindings, then there is no barrier to crossing the ocean on catamarans built like Tlingit war canoes, with stone age tools . . . [see Capt Voss for a westernized canoe voyage]

There you have it then, a complete how-to. Well I will add the plaque in all my boats:
† NO TASK WILL BE EVADED MERELY BECAUSE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE †
I pointed to that often when I heard "but Dad, that's impossible".
:)
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:49 am Ji, I haven't read the whole post, but you are much missed here and glad to see you post once again. -Tutt
Good to see U2, hope the wildfires did not effect you too severely.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:36 am
Ji ! You did a fantastically great job on your dory! It looks wonderful. I still remember the photo of your Dad and the dory on the beach. Fantastic legacy and heritage.

Notice that the dory in the photo is not lapstrake construction. It is 16 feet bottom length and 20 feet overall. NONSTANDARD construction, but all douglas fir. double bottom. 5/8 sides. nonstandard caulking gaps. lots of knots in the wrong places. stuff like that. I am going to remove the centerboard trunk and spline the bottom and topside seams, then a seagoing dose of fiberglass, then a deck. this boat is similar in size to Alfred Johnson's Centennial, but with a wider bottom, and deserves to return to the sea.
Centennial.jpg

The Aeolus I have is in the shop for some reconstructive surgery. Transom needs replacement. I added one inch of marine ply to the bottom of that boat. It too will be decked.

22-10-15-091149.jpeg
not exactly Hawaiian, not exactly Wharram, and not exactly Grand Banks, but related I think.

if I get this far, then I can get that far. It's my long range plan. :) to eventually head here:
Enoshima.png
people scoff at the idea but of course they don't know that a Tiki21 "Cooking Fat" circumnavigated the globe. and thousands of others, including an open boat, have also, I am just following in the wakes of others. and if I seek the trades, I will see you as well Ji.

grizz

Always loved the looks of lapstrake. Back in 1964 my dad had a Japanese boatwright build him a 22' Sea Bright Skiff motorsailer with an enclosed cabin (John Atkin design), and a 3hp single cylinder Yanmar diesel engine. The hull sides were lapstrake but the bottom was plywood. When we moved to Hawai'i in the summer of 1966 he had the boat shipped over. We kept it in a slip in Kane'ohe Bay, and I have nothing but fond memories of that boat, and time spent on it with Dad.

Your Aeolus has 1 inch ply bottom? Did you laminate two sheets of 1/2 inch to get it to bend and follow the bottom rocker? So you're creating a faux Wharram? What are you planning to use for auxiliary power? Outboard between the hulls? Are you planning to sail to Japan in her? I either forgot, or never knew you had family in Japan. Pretty country Enoshima/Kamakura in Kanagawa prefecture. MY wifes kid brother lives in Kamakura, and works for a US Army in Yokohama. Are your grandkids half Japanese?
Back in 2020 while attending college I good as won a scholarship for a month in Japan at a university in Tochigi Prefecture where my mother was from. Then covid-19 hit, and the scholarships were canceled until further notice. I graduated with a degree in Architectural Engineering in 2021 but covid still happening so no scholarship to Japan. I think that was my one chance at returning to Japan after a 57 year absence. I've heard it has changed in that time. Would have liked to seen it.
Best wishes on your seafaring adventures. Now I feel inspired to read Joshua Slocum's "Sailing Alone Around the World".
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:02 pm
I believe it is entirely possible that trans ocean voyages were being made by humans whenever they encountered a forest at the edge of an ocean. If there is material to make bindings, then there is no barrier to crossing the ocean on catamarans built like Tlingit war canoes, with stone age tools . . . [see Capt Voss for a westernized canoe voyage]

There you have it then, a complete how-to. Well I will add the plaque in all my boats:
† NO TASK WILL BE EVADED MERELY BECAUSE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE †
I pointed to that often when I heard "but Dad, that's impossible".
:)
There is strong evidence that Polynesians made it from the Western Pacific to South American, and back on their hollowed out log hull catamarans. When the Spanish first arrived in the west coast of South American they discovered the natives already had domestics chickens, a bird not native to the Americans, but an animal Polynesians traveled with on their long voyages of discovery. Also the Polynesians wherever they are found across the Pacific cultivated sweet potatoes, a plant not native to Asia, but native to South American. I don't believe as Heyerdahl did that Polynesians originated in South American, but I firmly believe their was pre-Columbian contact made between the two cultures, and subsequent trade.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

"There is strong evidence that Polynesians made it from the Western Pacific to South American, and back on their hollowed out log hull catamarans."

The rapanui were originally undeniably polynesian before being mixed with portgees, spaniards, atacamanos, diaguitas, incas and english and later new english whalers. The moai idols of rapanui are dead ringers for the jujus of maori and even the stone faces of the mayan look fijish/tahitish. Lots of choppy blue water between those places.
m.A.g.a. !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

piller wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:59 pm Ji, good to see you back. How are you doing?
Hello Sir, I am relatively well all things considered. How are you doing?
Just retired from the State of Hawai'i full benefits due to my disability, but it's only $600 a month but I get free medical coverage for me and the wife. Social Security I can collect 2/3rds now or wait 5 years, and collect 100%. They won't give me early disability. I'm weighing my options.
I just graduated college 2021 with honors, top of my class with a 4.0 GPA and a degree in Architectural Engineering BUT after over a year, and literally hundreds of applications submitted, still no hire. I'm getting the impression no one wants to hire a senior citizen with disabilities no matter how good the grades, or how extensive a background.

I sold the old homestead I was raised in back in 2017, so that sounds about right. In a a place about a mile from the old house. When I moved I got rid of allot of my reloading stuff since my new place about half the size. About a year later I was kicking myself, so I bought a new press. Glad I kept the powders, and primers.

You still have your "Buffalo gun" Rossi '92 in 480 Ruger? Will never forget that hunt. Best wishes to you and your clan.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ji, I just read last night there has been a lot of volcanic activity over there recently. Is it more than usual? Anything to be concerned about for you? -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:51 pm
Grizz wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:36 am

Centennial.jpg

22-10-15-091149.jpeg

Enoshima.png

grizz

Always loved the looks of lapstrake. Back in 1964 my dad had a Japanese boatwright build him a 22' Sea Bright Skiff motorsailer with an enclosed cabin (John Atkin design), and a 3hp single cylinder Yanmar diesel engine. The hull sides were lapstrake but the bottom was plywood. When we moved to Hawai'i in the summer of 1966 he had the boat shipped over. We kept it in a slip in Kane'ohe Bay, and I have nothing but fond memories of that boat, and time spent on it with Dad.

Your Aeolus has 1 inch ply bottom? Did you laminate two sheets of 1/2 inch to get it to bend and follow the bottom rocker?

[ Yes. Precisely. Also glassed over that and up the garboard strake. Used plastic nails with air nailer so i can't chip my tools. Made an adz to trim the overhang, only way to cut to the flare angle ]

So you're creating a faux Wharram? What are you planning to use for auxiliary power? Outboard between the hulls?

[ Actually it will be much more like his first cat, Tangaroa. The dorys are displacement hulls and will carry more weight than a Tiki21, but won't sail as fast. But will still make decent time. and float in inches of water. I have an outboard but might rig a bicycle to a prop. The boat will sail in light airs, but have to see how it goes. Would be great if i could leave gas and engine home. my bridge deck may be too high for an outboard and i don't want to hang one in a cradle wharram style. doesn't appeal.]

Are you planning to sail to Japan in her? I either forgot, or never knew you had family in Japan. Pretty country Enoshima/Kamakura in Kanagawa prefecture. Are your grandkids half Japanese?

[ Yes. plan to sail to Japan. My son, his wife and two kids love Enoshima and spend a lot of time there. they live in Kanagawa. Yes my grand kids are half Japanese, and half American, and at 5 and 7 they are both bilingual. We visited a couple of years ago, almost 3 now. And the entire family came over to visit on our son's ranch in Tx for a family reunion. End of July and beginning of August. In record drought and heat. Ugh. we're planning a trip in December back to Tx. I drive, my wife flys. I pick her at the airport and say "what took you so long?" My plan is to start North at Ogasawara and sail the chain to Oshima and Enoshima. and take my kids sailing and picnicking on the boat !!. ]

MY wifes kid brother lives in Kamakura, and works for a US Army in Yokohama.
Back in 2020 while attending college I good as won a scholarship for a month in Japan at a university in Tochigi Prefecture where my mother was from. Then covid-19 hit, and the scholarships were canceled until further notice. I graduated with a degree in Architectural Engineering in 2021 but covid still happening so no scholarship to Japan. I think that was my one chance at returning to Japan after a 57 year absence. I've heard it has changed in that time. Would have liked to seen it.
Best wishes on your seafaring adventures. Now I feel inspired to read Joshua Slocum's "Sailing Alone Around the World".
Find Voyage of the Liberdad if you can and read it first, because it's first in his narrative, and you will read each of them at least twice. Do you know the Liberdad dory story?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:59 pm
I have an outboard but might rig a bicycle to a prop. The boat will sail in light airs, but have to see how it goes. Would be great if i could leave gas and engine home. my bridge deck may be too high for an outboard and i don't want to hang one in a cradle wharram style. doesn't appeal.

Back over 30 years ago I built a plywood hull outrigger canoe, and it had a high freeboard to allow launching thru the surf. When it came to powering her I had to special order a 5hp Tohatsu outboard with extra long leg which I believe was 25", a standard leg being 15". Do you recall the dories of New England, and the Canadian Maritime provinces using a 2 single cylinder 2 stroke "Make n Break" motor mounted inboard amidships, and they had a prop shaft with a U-Joint which allowed these boats to beach on flat sand with the prop and shaft folding up into a boxed section of the bottom? My dad had a 20' dory with this type of driveline back before the war. He used to fish for cod and pollock out of Southbridge, Mass. during his college breaks. I've attached a photo below. Could you mount a engine on deck between the hulls with a drop down propeller? Or how about a long shaft mud-motor or longtail like they use in Thailand, and in the deep south bayous?

Yes. plan to sail to Japan. My son, his wife and two kids love Enoshima and spend a lot of time there. they live in Kanagawa. Yes my grand kids are half Japanese, and half American, and at 5 and 7 they are both bilingual. We visited a couple of years ago, almost 3 now. And the entire family came over to visit on our son's ranch in Tx for a family reunion. End of July and beginning of August. In record drought and heat. Ugh. we're planning a trip in December back to Tx. I drive, my wife flys. I pick her at the airport and say "what took you so long?" My plan is to start North at Ogasawara and sail the chain to Oshima and Enoshima. and take my kids sailing and picnicking on the boat !!

My first 6 years of life in Japan I only understood Japanese, and really didn't start speaking English until after we moved to Hawai'i, and I started public school at almost age 7. I had English tutors in school the first year to speed up the process. My dad was a fluent speaker of Japanese, and it was the language spoken at home all the time so even after 50 plus years in America my mom never really learned to speak English.

How will you start at Ogasawara? Are you planning to have your cat shipped there first? Will you visit Iwo Jima or Chichi Jima? Always wanted to visit Chichi Jima. I highly recommend you read "Fly Boys" by James Bradley if you get the chance. Most of this true story takes place on Chichi Jima during the war.

I have a cousin who used to be a big-wig exec with Honda Motors. When he retired he bought a small house on the tiny island of Shikine Jima south of Ōshima. His wife stays in Tokyo, and he lives alone on the island loving the simple life of solitude, no more rat race.

Find Voyage of the Liberdad if you can and read it first, because it's first in his narrative, and you will read each of them at least twice. Do you know the Liberdad dory story?

I have copies of both, and read them about 15 years ago, but good books only get better with each read. Amazing story of ingenuity and survival. Interesting how Slocum disappeared at sea. Sounds like my way to go. Better than withering away in bed with cancer, or being tee-boned by a Mack truck while sitting at an intersection.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:25 pm
Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:59 pm

How will you start at Ogasawara? Are you planning to have your cat shipped there first? Will you visit Iwo Jima or Chichi Jima? Always wanted to visit Chichi Jima. I highly recommend you read "Fly Boys" by James Bradley if you get the chance. Most of this true story takes place on Chichi Jima during the war.

[I will check out Fly Boys, thanks. I meant start north beginning around Ogasawara, The angles and what's actually possible with the weather doesn't favor sailing there at all, if i took trades thru to Japan i would miss it by a thousand miles. Don't know about Iwo or Chichi, but nothing is out of the question until i am in the region and can assess wind and currents. Mainly i imagine i'll be dodging the killer sector of the cyclones, the south westerlies, which puts me sailing the wrong direction on starboard tack away from the center. i don't know and can't explain my fascination with the Bonins. Must be something good about them. maybe i'll land there when godzilla resurfaces!

I have a cousin who used to be a big-wig exec with Honda Motors. When he retired he bought a small house on the tiny island of Shikine Jima south of Ōshima. His wife stays in Tokyo, and he lives alone on the island loving the simple life of solitude, no more rat race. [/b]

[that's very interesting. oshima had a sunken ship in the southeast harbor that you could see on satellite photos, but it looks like it's gone now... might have been a war casualty, idk.]
Screenshot 2022-10-17 215520-shikine jima.png
here's the island. do you use openstreetmap? international and very searchable. Heda is another port I'd like to visit. It too has a very interesting history, dating to when the west began coercing Japan to trade with them. Aaargh. ]

I have copies of both, and read them about 15 years ago, but good books only get better with each read. Amazing story of ingenuity and survival. Interesting how Slocum disappeared at sea. Sounds like my way to go. Better than withering away in bed with cancer, or being tee-boned by a Mack truck while sitting at an intersection.
I think we're on the same frequency...
Sounds like my way to go
> EXACTLY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Really happy to see you posting, Ji..... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:02 am
Screenshot 2022-10-17 215520-shikine jima.png here's the island. do you use openstreetmap? international and very searchable.

I use mainly GOOGLE Maps, and GOOGLE Earth. I like being able to switch between the different views especially map view, satellite view, and street view. I can go for "walks" on almost any street in the world in street view. Saves me time & money on vacations. 😁👍

Heda is another port I'd like to visit. It too has a very interesting history, dating to when the west began coercing Japan to trade with them. Aaargh. ]

1853, Commodore Matthew C. Perry, and his gunboat diplomacy. The Tokugawa Shogunate just wanted to be left alone in isolation, but the US through Perry demanded recoaling stations in Japan for US whaling ships. When the Shogunate gave in the US demands the Japanese populace thought the Shogunate as being weak, which lead to civil war, the overthrow of the Shogunate government, and the rise of Imperial Japan a monster the west help create.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Blaine wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:19 am Really happy to see you posting, Ji..... 8)
Thank you Blaine..... 8) :wink: :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:06 am
piller wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:59 pm Ji, good to see you back. How are you doing?
I sold the old homestead I was raised in back in 2017, so that sounds about right. In a a place about a mile from the old house. When I moved I got rid of allot of my reloading stuff since my new place about half the size. About a year later I was kicking myself, so I bought a new press. Glad I kept the powders, and primers.

You still have your "Buffalo gun" Rossi '92 in 480 Ruger? Will never forget that hunt. Best wishes to you and your clan.
I still have that .480 Rossi, and it still works exactly like it did then. That was a fun hunt. We all had fun. My family is doing well. Age and other things are throwing us curveballs and knuckleballs, but we keep going. I have had a bunch of mini strokes due to the J&J covid vaccine, but all the lingering effects are just a tiny amount of instability when walking. Most people don't even see it.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:37 pm
back to canoe culture and other floaty stuff :>
signal-2022-10-19-064154.jpeg
my younger son and I did the layout and parts cutting a long time ago while he was still at home. we used materials left over from my fishing business. it's an enlargement from a famous design. I converted the offsets to metric and applied a scale factor to all of them. Do you recognize it?
signal-2022-10-19-064245.jpeg
I use grommets for rowing. Not as nice as oarlocks when coming along side, But, nothing to hang up in a rolley anchorage. It is effortless to maintain 3mph, which is kayak speed over time. Huge load carrier. Very tiddly when light and I don't let inexperienced boaters take it out without great flotation gear. This skiff will float upside down on the tanks no problem. I've left him anchored out in weather to test this. Eventually there should be a sail rig, a rowing thwart, [fore n aft], and perhaps a double bottom so I don't ever have to bail it. sitting on the bottom next to the aft tank is a fine location to sail from. There is a motor mount so I can move Ariel around, change anchor location, overhaul anchor gear etc. BUT this is not a motor boat and he needs weight to make his motoring antics controllable. I think I might be able to do a back flip, but don't want to.
1.png
I had planned to sail Ariel to Japan until she decided to relocate herself when her mooring failed.
Ariel_AWOL.png
Therefore, I prize shallow draft and sailing stability, even though, as Folkboats go, Ariel is a very strong boat built when builders wanted enough material for STOUTness.
Ji, do you have any more photos of your boat? Would like to see some. Also you asked about powering the cat. I didn't mention that I decided not use the traditional make n break with the slick beaching setup. It's too much trouble, too much drag, and can't carry enough fuel to make motor-sailing feasible unless coastal hopping between gas docks. Even Ariel is a lousy motorsailer. .. . .. . . ...

grizz sendz

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

piller wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:02 am
I still have that .480 Rossi, and it still works exactly like it did then. That was a fun hunt. We all had fun. My family is doing well. Age and other things are throwing us curveballs and knuckleballs, but we keep going. I have had a bunch of mini strokes due to the J&J covid vaccine, but all the lingering effects are just a tiny amount of instability when walking. Most people don't even see it.
That hunt in Texas was close to 15 years ago. Time flies! Iʻm thinking about it, and I believe that was the last time I ever hunted. Big contrast to when I lived on Maui, and hunted deer every Friday afternoon.

Wishing you a full recovery. I have been fortunate. I have received 2 Pfizer, 1 J&J, and 2 Moderna vaccinations with no side effects. Iʻll be 63 in a couple months but I feel 73. Both shoulders are getting arthritic, and my lower back issues remain chronic. I am supposed to get Radio Frequency Ablation in my lower back as soon as my insurer approves the treatment plan. Legally they are supposed to decide within 10 days, realistically they can take up to 6 months. Best wishes from Hawaiʻi, Ji
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:50 am
Ji in Hawaii wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:37 pm
back to canoe culture and other floaty stuff :>
signal-2022-10-19-064154.jpeg
my younger son and I did the layout and parts cutting a long time ago while he was still at home. we used materials left over from my fishing business. it's an enlargement from a famous design. I converted the offsets to metric and applied a scale factor to all of them. Do you recognize it?
signal-2022-10-19-064245.jpeg
I use grommets for rowing. Not as nice as oarlocks when coming along side, But, nothing to hang up in a rolley anchorage. It is effortless to maintain 3mph, which is kayak speed over time. Huge load carrier. Very tiddly when light and I don't let inexperienced boaters take it out without great flotation gear. This skiff will float upside down on the tanks no problem. I've left him anchored out in weather to test this. Eventually there should be a sail rig, a rowing thwart, [fore n aft], and perhaps a double bottom so I don't ever have to bail it. sitting on the bottom next to the aft tank is a fine location to sail from. There is a motor mount so I can move Ariel around, change anchor location, overhaul anchor gear etc. BUT this is not a motor boat and he needs weight to make his motoring antics controllable. I think I might be able to do a back flip, but don't want to.
1.png
I had planned to sail Ariel to Japan until she decided to relocate herself when her mooring failed.
Ariel_AWOL.png
Therefore, I prize shallow draft and sailing stability, even though, as Folkboats go, Ariel is a very strong boat built when builders wanted enough material for STOUTness.
Ji, do you have any more photos of your boat? Would like to see some. Also you asked about powering the cat. I didn't mention that I decided not use the traditional make n break with the slick beaching setup. It's too much trouble, too much drag, and can't carry enough fuel to make motor-sailing feasible unless coastal hopping between gas docks. Even Ariel is a lousy motorsailer. .. . .. . . ...

grizz sendz

Your pram looks like a Harold "Dynamite" Payson design, one of his "stich & glue, instant boat" designs.

I don't recall ever hearing about "Ariel". Is her hull wood/glass or full fiberglass? Is her hull damage from grounding beyond repair?

My only consistent "dreamboat" is my wife of 42 years, but as far as watercrafts I have had many, but one that has stuck in my heart is pictured below, a Pacific Seacrafts 20ʻ "Flicka" preferably with a gaff rig (not a fan of Marconi rigs aesthetically), though a Chinese lug rig would be ideal. she could easily do interisland trips, no problemo, or a final horizon trip west towards sunset.

What boat photos did you have in mind? One recent (March 2019) purchase is also pictured below. As you may know I love to dive, and fish offshore, so I purchased what turned out to be ideal for my needs, a 14ʻ6 Solo Skiff which is basically a wide (41") hull, square sterned power kayak. With a 6hp outboard she can do 12 knots all day trolling for pelagics on 3 gallons of fuel, she has considerable watertight in-hull storage, she has an open stern which allows any water coming over the bow to flow straight out the stern, so no bailing, and she has a low freeboard which make ingress/egress when diving a piece of cake. I have had her out in 12ʻ seas, 20 knot winds, with her hull submerged half the time with hardly a worry. One weak point of my dory has always been taking in water over the gunwales when climbing back in after a dive. Keep us posted on the progress of your dory/cat build. 👍
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...just graduated college 2021 with honors, top of my class with a 4.0 GPA and a degree in Architectural Engineering BUT after over a year, and literally hundreds of applications submitted, still no hire. I'm getting the impression no one wants to hire a senior citizen with disabilities no matter how good the grades, or how extensive a background..."

Thank "Affirmative Action" laws and the Americans with Disabilities Act for that.

Typical government programs; sounds good but has the opposite effect in the real world. Employers become afraid to hire people that are 'protected' to the point they are exempt from ordinary wage dynamics and discipline.

Truly sad, but just part of the failure of socialist policies that pretend to help people but wind up hurting them. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "