New Marlin in Blue!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

New Marlin in Blue!

Post by CowboyTutt »

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JimT
Shootist

Re: New Marlin in Blue!

Post by JimT »

It looks good.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

It appears Ruger is speeding up introduction of "new" Marlins. Very happy to see
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If it works as well as I think it will, it would be worth buying. I like Ruger products, and the slimmer fore end looks good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Looks Good to Me. with a msrp of $1,149.00 it shouldn't be long next year until they are below a grand. :D .
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I hope it works well, not my idea of pretty. I want walnut and blue steel and no big lever.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Good looking rifle, but wish they'd use walnut, and not laminated stocks. I know laminates are tough, and durable, but sure not appealing to my eyes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Laminate stocks and an unpolished finish are the stuff of wartime production of military weapons. Sad to say that consumers have been conned into believing such characteristics are desirable.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I would ditch the lever, i'm not on t.v. I like laminate stocks, they go well with laminated steel. And they bounce around unharmed in the bottom of the skiff while beating out of the inlet.

I detest the pushbutton. Nothing is more disturbing during a bear/elephant/lion charge than discovering the button is in the wrong place, and the folding leaf sight folded. I love the hammer block safeties that maybe Ruger pioneered. My NEF 20. has one. my redhawk has one. my commbloc flare device has one!! My guide gun has the button. "Well M'am, your husband has been eaten by a bear, but at least he was carrying his rifle in a safe manner."

if a 99$ flare dispensing device has a hammer block safety, why can't a 1500$ rifle have one?
48_002.jpeg
I don't care about cosmetics when I am picking up a survival tool, like my stainless guide gun.
But, are guide gun stocks hard to come by? I could put the walnut on to carry the gun to the BBQ, and put the working stocks on when traipsing thru the normal rainfall in the Tongass.

I had a nice stock on the Ruger 77 RS when, the first time I carried it in the woods, i crash landed on ice in the dip and broke the stock into 2 parts at the wrist. Something the company didn't warrant against.
But they did enjoy the tale and mentioned they wished they could live like i did. If the stock had been laminated the stock would have survived and i would have had a broken hand. A minor inconvenience compared to a 2-piece stock. But the walnut stock looks great now with a white glue line and a large brass pin telling the story to his cell mates. Uh, you know, Gun Talk.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That transfer bar safety Ruger uses on their revolvers should work great on a levergun. It would take some tweaking to make it move up and down far enough, but it could be done. From there, no button safety needed. Not sure who actually designed it originally, but it was around before Sturm Ruger firearms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am just happy that Ruger is carrying on the Marlin name and tradition. So they aren't making a gun exactly the way I like one? Big deal. At least they are building Marlins and knowing Ruger they will be quality, have a great warranty, and they will have good customer service. I am not gonna b.itch about them not building them to my specifications. Besides, that is what custom gun work is all about! :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JimT wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:40 pm I am just happy that Ruger is carrying on the Marlin name and tradition. So they aren't making a gun exactly the way I like one? Big deal. At least they are building Marlins and knowing Ruger they will be quality, have a great warranty, and they will have good customer service. I am not gonna b.itch about them not building them to my specifications. Besides, that is what custom gun work is all about! :lol:
Thanks for the reality check Jim!
It's hard for me to comprehend, reading comments around the net yapping about the same thing. it should be this, it should be that. What I want to say to these guys is; we should all be happy a solid company, known for it's reliability was willing to take up a design that they know would be criticized ad nauseum. it's logistically impossible to bring out every version of every rifle Marlin ever made all at the same time.
If there's enough sales and enthusiasm, they'll get to your favorite eventually. You can always start your won company and make whatever you want, by the way. :D

I thought I was pretty settled on the stainless Trapper. Now I have to think on it a bit.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The dealer cost and suggested retail are a bit off putting to me. I'm curious what they'll price the 336 at when they come out.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I am pleased that Ruger bought Marlin and is keeping it alive. But that doesn't mean we can't give input as to what we'd prefer to see coming from Ruger Marlins. Input is what drives companies to offer variations, and without it the silence would certainly result in a lack of sales, and death of the name.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:55 am I am pleased that Ruger bought Marlin and is keeping it alive. But that doesn't mean we can't give input as to what we'd prefer to see coming from Ruger Marlins. Input is what drives companies to offer variations, and without it the silence would certainly result in a lack of sales, and death of the name.
I believe it would be a good idea for levergunners to send Ruger/Marlin their thanks for the work they are doing and suggestions on how they would like some models to be built. Consumer input directly to the company is not a bad thing.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The new Marlin's have a half-cock safety, and a cross bolt or "hammer block" safety that only works in half-cock or full cock. I don't really see the harm in the addition of the cross bolt safety myself. The Henry's use a transfer-bar safety as Pillar mentioned was possible.

I would like to see the return of the Cowboy edition with the tapered octagon barrel in polished blue myself. Polished blued guns seem to becoming a thing of the past now.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The price actually paid in the end versus the price listed will be less, just like Ruger guns usually have happen. Unsure why the game is played like that.

I remember back in the "JM Marlin" days when I was so frustrated they didn't make a stainless 357 1894, and they'd only make a 'run' of a few every few years. They would fetch nearly $1,000 sometimes even on the used market. Then I finally found one, then another. Now I have two. Then the Remlin phase happened, and now the Ruger phase. During those transitions, they came out with their 1894 CST which not only is stainless, but threaded, and has a slightly-but-not-overly large loop. My "dream gun" in terms of the lightweight carbine end of the levergun spectrum.

My point is that whether Marlin, Remington, or Ruger, they all want to make a profit, and that means pleasing the customer, which means figuring out what they want, and providing it. Ruger has been good at that in the past, and I think they will do so now. Some manufacturers seek profits by making whatever they can as cheaply as they can, and at least Ruger isn't doing that. Likely they looked at the market and figured out what it is that is 'trending' and will provide products of that sort, gradually expanding to other configurations, until they start hitting the niche products.

Certainly we should provide feedback and suggestions, and eventually we will get our 'dream guns'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have several JM Marlins that have the cross bolt safety . don't bother Me a bit. it doesn't affect the trigger when off .
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

There are "kits" to replace the Marlin cross bolt safety if you really want it removed.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Had to look that up. From our own J.T. some time ago:

https://www.leverguns.com/articles/tayl ... safety.htm

and more current:

https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-saf ... lt-safety/

-Tutt

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TraderVic wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:07 pm There are "kits" to replace the Marlin cross bolt safety if you really want it removed.
I have converted more than one of my Marlins into Saddle ring carbines by replacing the crossbolt with a kit from bear creek mercantile. Right now my 444 is the only one that way.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

vancelw wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:55 pm
TraderVic wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:07 pm There are "kits" to replace the Marlin cross bolt safety if you really want it removed.
I have converted more than one of my Marlins into Saddle ring carbines by replacing the crossbolt with a kit from bear creek mercantile. Right now my 444 is the only one that way.
Yep, all of my Marlins, regardless of who makes them (afterall we on the third manufacturer) get this treatment. But I'm old and stupid, so obviously unsafe. But darn it I just haven't had a single AD with a Marlin.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:11 pm

Yep, all of my Marlins, regardless of who makes them (afterall we on the third manufacturer) get this treatment. But I'm old and stupid, so obviously unsafe. But darn it I just haven't had a single AD with a Marlin.
Actually we're on the 6th maker, not 3rd.

1-John M Marlin
2-Rockwell Corp.
3-Marlin Firearms Corp.
4-Kenna family
5-Remington
6-Ruger

Marlin has been in transition ownership since WWI when Rockwell bought the company from John Marlin's sons. The longest ownership was the Kenna family after the Corporation went bankrupt and Frank Kenna Sr. bought the company and made it thrive again. The Remington years were the black spot on Marlin history.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz: "...If the stock had been laminated the stock would have survived and i would have had a broken hand. A minor inconvenience compared to a 2-piece stock...."

Spoken like a true gun-lover... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "