BAR Mk III

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

BAR Mk III

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The 70's called ... they'd like their rifle aesthetic back please.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BAR Mk III

Post by 2ndovc »

Yeah, not quite the classic lines f the original. Some engineer, trying to make himself useful I guess.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Fugly, who had that bright idea of extending the forearm?
Don't get me wrong, the BAR is a great rifle but geeze a 3" 100 yd group is the factory spec( atleast the old guns) just doesn't ignite my powder! Those 'ears ' are just ugly. Yup some fungsway hippy dippy designer...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

While I'm not crazy about the aesthetics (they're growing on me a bit), I am excited about the much lighter weight of the MK 3 - almost 1 lb lighter.
Regarding accuracy, everyone I have ever heard talk about the BAR's claim much, much better accuracy than 3" at 100 yards. I remember being in a gun store in metro Atlanta a few years ago where the owner would hang his personal "most accurate" off-the-shelf (i.e. unmolested and accurized) rifle on the wall behind him and leave it there until it was replaced by something more accurate. At the time, he had a BAR Safari in .243 hanging up there and he said it had been there for well over 5 years at the time.

As soon as I sell my BLR in .243 (soon to be listed here, and it's gorgeous!) I'm going to be getting an MK3 in either 7mm-08 or .243, so I will let y'all know how the accuracy thing turns out.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

True the BAR can be very accurate, the factory spec was 3" at 100. As long as it was 3 or less Browning felt it was good to go. A buddy of mine has a grade V BAR in '06 that is very accurate. Besides, who wants to chase brass in the weeds? :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

One pound lighter is a lot! The HCAR is also very nice, but I can't afford one and not available here in Commiefornia. Seems like everyone needs just one semi-auto rifle in their collection and I don't have one yet. I would love the Browning Safari in 338 Winchester but they are not that easy or cheap to find either.

https://www.oowinc.com/exclusives/semi- ... package-2/

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I saved a boatload of dinero by just getting a PTR-91 7.62. roller delayed unlocking blow back action. unload as fast as you can pull the trigger. or full auto if you have the license. when I got mine there was a video of someone killing a 500M gong over and over again. :)

there was a video of someone shooting full auto. It kind of burped and was empty. I found an original G3 BDC scope, Zeiss optics! And surplus wood stocks. And a parachute jumper collapsible wire shoulder stock in case I want to beat up my arm or shoot from the hip, or skydive. last time I bought magazines they were German surplus for between 3 and 5$ each. money saved is ammo shot. soft recoil. good trigger. two pins to disassemble. not as nice as a FN FAL, in terms of "nice rifle". BUT all the cache of a gun that's probably still in action, still carried by MX Federale officers, and has the stance of a tank, or a Jeep at least.

Anyway, short story, I recommend 'em . . . if someone wants a semi-auto for some reason.

Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

That PTR-91 is so ugly it doesn't deserve to shoot a wild animal. 😁An enemy combatant, yes - but I wouldn't be caught in the woods hunting with it.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Grizz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm I saved a boatload of dinero by just getting a PTR-91 7.62. roller delayed unlocking blow back action. unload as fast as you can pull the trigger. or full auto if you have the license. when I got mine there was a video of someone killing a 500M gong over and over again. :)

there was a video of someone shooting full auto. It kind of burped and was empty. I found an original G3 BDC scope, Zeiss optics! And surplus wood stocks. And a parachute jumper collapsible wire shoulder stock in case I want to beat up my arm or shoot from the hip, or skydive. last time I bought magazines they were German surplus for between 3 and 5$ each. money saved is ammo shot. soft recoil. good trigger. two pins to disassemble. not as nice as a FN FAL, in terms of "nice rifle". BUT all the cache of a gun that's probably still in action, still carried by MX Federale officers, and has the stance of a tank, or a Jeep at least.

Anyway, short story, I recommend 'em . . . if someone wants a semi-auto for some reason.

Grizz my Old Friend, I have shot the FN FAL belonging to my best friend Tym years ago. And his M1A which had the best iron sights I have every shot. I guess I am comparing the difference between a semi-auto that goes "sproing" when you pull the trigger (not so enamoring I must say), and a lever gun or old bolt action. I guess sometimes we must sacrifice utility for character, but being that there are so many "tactical" upgrades for lever guns, I still hope our lever guns have some useful ness in the future. Trigg, not ruling out a nice Browning BAR though. Can be very light rifles with serious fire-power.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Triggernosis wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:57 pm That PTR-91 is so ugly it doesn't deserve to shoot a wild animal. 😁An enemy combatant, yes - but I wouldn't be caught in the woods hunting with it.
good point Tom. you have my condolences . . . actually, enemy combatant is the motive for getting the thing. I figured if all hell is going to break loose, and the nukes don't get me, I should be prepped for whats next. and I read up on the history and read all the blogs and forums and the more i fooled around with it the better i liked it. it's like a rescue dog. by the time the new wears off the ugly thing transforms into a soul mate. or something like that. it was like that when i got him out to describe in my post: "Ah, there you are. sit up here." Know what I mean?

however, if i could still pack weight in the woods I would happily use it. If someone sees me hunting with it it's because I went up the wrong side hill, way too close to the village. or picked the wrong beach to cruise along.

But you are right of course, it is an ugly machine.

:)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:45 pm
Grizz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm I saved a boatload of dinero by just getting a PTR-91 7.62. roller delayed unlocking blow back action. unload as fast as you can pull the trigger. or full auto if you have the license. when I got mine there was a video of someone killing a 500M gong over and over again. :)

Grizz my Old Friend, I have shot the FN FAL belonging to my best friend Tym years ago. And his M1A which had the best iron sights I have every shot. I guess I am comparing the difference between a semi-auto that goes "sproing" when you pull the trigger (not so enamoring I must say), and a lever gun or old bolt action. I guess sometimes we must sacrifice utility for character, but being that there are so many "tactical" upgrades for lever guns, I still hope our lever guns have some useful ness in the future. Trigg, not ruling out a nice Browning BAR though. Can be very light rifles with serious fire-power.

-Tutt
Yup, I'm with you Tutt. Browning BAR has all the oooh's and aaah's. And the FAL gets the rifleman's seal of approval. Even though it seems a little temperamental based on my friend's copy. Seems to me the awesome BAR is the BBQ gun now, and the 91 is the one to sprint with if the guy next door says he needs some serious help. Grab the 91 with the drum in it and the bag with 20 magazines and flank the action. Or something like that. My worst nightmare.

But,
Seems like everyone needs just one semi-auto rifle in their collection and I don't have one yet
, so I was recommending the blue collar proletarian el cheapo that can still deliver the goods for not very much money, COMPARATIVELY. AND it's fun to shoot. I bet you could hit the white buff no problemo. :wink:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tutt, here's a good looking semi-auto that you might like. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek&t=176s

light weight is a big plus. rails for a small cappuccino maker and daylight bright halogen spotlight. common magazines. and light weight. if it gets a side charging upper I'd trade down to the 16" model with 20 mags. That one would look good in a scabbard on a painted pony.

what do you think about that?
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The Browning BAR was quite popular with hunters that run deer with dogs in eastern NC. My dad had a few over the years along with the Remington autos. He switched to bolt actions in the 80s. Seen other hunters make the switch too. I knew a hunter with a short Trac BAR years ago and it was downright svelte compared to the original style long action BAR. I never cared much for autos for hunting except maybe shotguns for doves. I like to control when, how fast, and how quietly rounds get chambered
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Looks interesting Grizz. I already have some 308 Winchester Lapua brass that I use for my 358 Win (actually that rifle in 358 Win would REALLY float my canoe!) that would work. I like the adjustable gas port and light weight design. I would probably go for the 20 inch barrel as I don't see a suppressor in my future and would rather have the velocity.

I've had my eye on the Big Horn Armory AR 500 for a while now. It offers a lot of gun for the money and I don't have a 50 caliber yet either.... :D

-Tutt

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:21 pm Looks interesting Grizz. I already have some 308 Winchester Lapua brass that I use for my 358 Win (actually that rifle in 358 Win would REALLY float my canoe!) that would work. I like the adjustable gas port and light weight design. I would probably go for the 20 inch barrel as I don't see a suppressor in my future and would rather have the velocity.

I've had my eye on the Big Horn Armory AR 500 for a while now. It offers a lot of gun for the money and I don't have a 50 caliber yet either.... :D

-Tutt
Oh Yeah. That 500 looks good, and good fun too! I would like to road test that. :) :D
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Y'all $hittin' on this thread with 'dem ugly rifles. 😄
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nothing some plating or spray paint won't fix! LOL :lol:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:32 pm Nothing some plating or spray paint won't fix! LOL :lol:
Exactly. Never underestimate a good rattle can make-over. :lol: :D