30-30 and Nosler 170gr Partitions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

30-30 and Nosler 170gr Partitions

Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

Anyone have any experience with 30-30s and the 170gr Round Nose Partitions?

Load data much appreciated, particularly Ramshot or Vihtavouri Data (though anything will do!)

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

Scrummy

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: 30-30 and Nosler 170gr Partitions

Post by Pisgah »

I may well have used some in the past, but don't recall specifically. Records are available, but it's too hot to go digging for them right now. Needless to say, I certainly have nothing negative to report about them, and would find it very unusual if anyone else did. A 170 gr. anything loaded to standard velocities almost has to work, no matter who made it.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thems top end quality.
I would go with vihts data. It seems very safe from the get go.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've heard only good things about that bullet in the .30 WCF. Here is Nosler's data for it:

https://www.nosler.com/30-30-winchester
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I had a few boxes of Federal Premium 30-30 loaded with Nosler Partitions. It was good ammo but I didn't really notice much difference in bullet expansion/weight retention with Winchester Power Points or Remington Cor Locks. All three bullets do well in deer sided game and I never had a failure.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Thanks folks.

Scrummy
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Most of you may know about this but years ago I wrote an article for the Leverguns website on the Model 94 Winchester and included a lot of data from that time. Some of it is dated now, but here is a part of it dealing with penetration:

PENETRATION TEST

I also fired some of the Factory loads through the leg bones of a 940 pound steer we had recently butchered. I set the leg bones on a stump with 8 layers of carpet behind the bones and a 2" thick solid oak door as a backstop. I wanted to see what the bullets looked like after going through the bones and carpet but before they hit the door so I added a piece of cardboard between the carpet and the door. All loads went through the leg bones, carpeting and into the door.

The 125 gr. Federal JHP literally blew the bones to pieces with chunks raining down in the yard, landing up to 20 feet away. The best penetrators were the 170 gr. Winchester Silvertip and the Federal 170 gr. Nosler Partition loadings. Very interesting was the fact that neither one of the heavyweights retained the most weight after going through everything. The 150 gr. Winchester Power Point retained the most weight and came in a close 3rd in penetration. By the time I received the Speer Nitrex 150 gr. loadings the bones were long gone. However I did some limited testing against 150 gr. loadings from other manufacturers and found the new Speer load to hold up well. From what little testing I did I would say the Nitrex bullet will hold together pretty well. Accuracy is on par with the others.

Bullets fired from 15 feet through the leg bones of a 940-pound steer, through 8 layers of carpet, into a solid oak door. All bullet depths measured to the base of the bullet in the door.
test.JPG

The entire article is here - https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/model94_3030.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Thanks for the info. As decent sized European wild boar are the likely quarry that's good to know they penetrate.

Scrummy