"52 Years Apart"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"52 Years Apart"

Post by Old No7 »

OK, so it's now 2022 and I remember 1970 -- me being all of 10 years old then.

Anyway...

It's occurred to me that the years 1918 versus 1970 were 52 years apart -- the SAME as for the above span in years.

It's odd to me, as it seems the world changed more between 1918 and 1970... Maybe some of this is due to me "reading" the history from the early set of years, to "living it" for the later set. And for sure, I can't say it's changed for the better (well, maybe for a few things...) over the last 52 years.

Oh, one good thing -- I do have more leverguns now than I did back in 1970. (Fewer cap guns though...)

Old No7

(Can you tell it's a dull day in the home office???)
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: "52 Years Apart"

Post by AJMD429 »

My grandfather was 5 years old when Custer was killed. He didn't live long enough to see world war II finished, but a friend of mine had a grandfather of the similar age who was still alive when astronauts landed on the moon. His grandfather was Ojibwe Indian and remembered distinctly as a five or six year old kid being told, along with all the other kids in the small town, by his parents to grab his pack and head up to the mountains and not come back until people from the village came to get them. He later learned the reason was that rumor had come that Custer was killed and they were afraid whites from a nearby town would come seek vengeance. Can you imagine this person as a 96 year old man watching people land on the Moon...?

I think that probably spans the most incredible change in Civilization I can think of. Certainly radio and automobiles and airplanes changed some things, and the internet changed even more things, for better as well as for worse, but I'm not sure going back 96 years or so from today is quite as profound as going back 96 years ago from 1969...

Time will tell. I think the biggest change now is that people are mesmerized by technology and more interested in tiktok videos then understanding the world around them. On the other hand at least the internet does enable people to communicate quickly when governments do bad things to them.

Censorship of course is the enemy along with 'gun control'...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

My great grandmother passed away in early October of 2001, she was in her mid 90s but I don't recall her exact age.

I recall as I was in attendance at her funeral at 23 years old it dawned on me how much she witnessed in her long years. She saw a time when automobiles were in the earlier years of production and was sure to still see horse and buggy on the roads, probably in near equal numbers to cars. She was young but was around for WWI, and every war the US was involved in during the 20th century. She saw the infancy of aeronautics develope into the jet era. She was around for the first man in space to the moon landing. Saw the WTC built and then destroyed. I sat in silent awe as I pondered all she had seen in her many years that day. Mind boggling.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Grandparents were all born on the 1890s. Only one died before seeing Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. One Great Grandfather, William Montgomery Wyant, was a German immigrants who fought in the War Between the States under Miles Keough. He helped train the horses, and knew Captain Keough's horse Comanche. Comanche survived the Battle of the Little Bighorn/Battle of the Greasy Grass. He retired to the old soldiers home at Ft Dodge, Kansas less than a month prior to the 7th Cavalry being sent out on the campaign which involved Lt Col George Custer's death. My Dad just died last December at age 92. He saw electricity and indoor plumbing come in to being.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Grandmother still had to wait 6 years to be old enough to vote after the 19th allowed women to vote. She rode a horse to high school.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

As I've progressed to middle age, I've gained a great appreciation for "living memory" and never miss an opportunity to soak it up before it's gone.