Gun Value question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Discus420
Levergunner

Gun Value question

Post by Discus420 »

gone
Last edited by Discus420 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gun Value question

Post by jkbrea »

About $150. Where do I send the check!
Just kidding....
What caliber, year...etc
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

gone
Last edited by Discus420 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

gone
Last edited by Discus420 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Order a Cody letter first. It will confirm the configuration and increase the value. It's an easy mid 5 figure saddle ring carbine.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/fir ... s-records/

You will probably get a whole lot more by consigning it to Jack the Dog. Here's an 1886 that closed last week.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/17236346

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A gun like your 1866 will always get crazy prices, as that's just what any 1866 engraved gun in nice shape gets. It's going to be tough to say what it could bring as this class of rifle has had some insane prices when they go to auction.
I would never consider selling it and not doing so through an auction, as it wont get as much just selling it without a lot of eyes on it. jdad's suggestion og Jackthedog on his auction site is an excellent choice. We've both used him to sell guns for us, and even after paying his consignment fee I ended up with much more than I wanted for the guns I had him sell. He does an excellent job on all his auctions!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

I did try to get a letter and found out they dont have records on 1866 rifles that is to say they have records on 10 rifles out of all they made and mine is not one of them.

I have talked to jack the dog in the past and he was so backed up he told me 6-8 months to get a gun to him have it processed and go online. I have also used Morphy Auctions in the past and that took nearly a year. Im not out to make a killing on the price if I got 10,000 for it I would be happy and pay some bills I might just list it on Guns International I see Mertz and some other high end guys there asking 25,000 for these type guns I just ended up with it by dumb luck. I didn't realize I could put it up here for some reason I though gun ads were a no no
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

You can list it in the classifieds here. IMO you are lowballing yourself quite a bit at $10k.
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

yea your right I would probably list it as 10K plus a trade like a Schoefield pistol !!!!! I've wanted one of those since I was a youngster I will give it some thinkin on 44 shooter, Hey this is a 44 !!

What does the J U initials stand for on the tang? anybody???
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

$10,000 is less than a 1/3 of it's value. If you don't NEED the money right away I would still say to consign it to JTD. He was consigned a Singer 1911 a few years ago and it closed at $120,000......after starting at .01.

It's your property, but you have a rarity that is worth bank. I wouldn't list it here either. Merz would probably give you $20,000 and turnaround and list it for $60,000.

The initials stand for "John Ulrich" who engraved it.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

I hate gettin too personal but due to health reasons I want to payoff bills and probably need to do that in the next 3-4 months or my son's gonna have to deal with it and I dont want that he is barley out of his teens. The Scofield has been on my bucket list for a long time!!!! I'll call JTD but time is my issue. I also dont care making a hugh profit on it I didnt spend a whole lot of money on it anyway

Thanks for the help
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I would contact him again and maybe even send him pictures of your gun. He is always backed up, but special guns like yours he will sometimes make an exception for and might surprise you at how soon he'd put it on his auction.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

That surely seems like a real investment grade carbine,would be a real shame for someone to be taken advantage of with something that could easily change a persons life financially .

Can't help on auction companies but you need to contact someone that knows buyers of rare Winchesters .
Bert Hartman over on Winchester Collectors comes to mind.

Years ago I used to get CADA Gun Journal ,I used to see guns like this and dealers that advertised them.

You could also try appraisal even if its emailed photos get a ballpark.

Joe Salter antiques
Simpson LTD
Cherry's fine Guns
Don and Jan Grove
Leroy Merz
Good luck with the sale ,hopefully you can make appropriate connection.
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

Ill give Bert a try and call JTD also thanks guys.................
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

I put it on the Guns International website for sale for 8700$ so thanks everyone for all the help I. I talk with Morphy Auctions and it would take 9 months at least to get it in their auction

Thanks again all........
Last edited by Discus420 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

RIA and Morphys auctioned last year IIRC John Ulrich 1866 rifles .One went for over $54K the other was around $28k
They were rifles though .Merz has a Conrad Ulrich engraved now for $27k
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Discus420 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:35 pm I put it on the Winchester collector website for sale for 14,000 plus a trade or open to offers so thanks everyone for all the help I figure if nobody wants it on the Winchester website I'll never sell it and off to auction it will go. I talk with Morphy Auctions and it would take 9 months at least to get it in their auction but they will pay it out to my son if I wish so that is really helpful

Thanks again all........

One of you "bucks up" guys on here get ahold of Discus to keep this awesome levergun within the forum ! (I'm a bit handcuffed by my temporary "semi-retirement" myself regrettably ) I would love to see a range report on it !
----- Doug
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

Thanks StreetStar it sounds good to me. I talked to Rock Island and Morphy Autions both said it would take 9 months or so to get it in an auction I dont have the time to wait around for that gotta pay them bills
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

Found it to be a 44 centerfire also! Its on Guns International for 9800$
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

On gun international for 8700$
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Pretty fair possibility it's chambered 44 Russian.

It's funny this came up here. I'm on MeWe (FB alternative) and am pretty heavily involved in a lever rifle group there. A few weeks ago a member posted pics of a pawnshop find he was interested in buying and was wondering what it was. It was priced at $1200 and it turned out to be confirmed to be an old Winchester 1866 chambered in 44 Russian. Also, with many detailed photos it was confirmed that Morphys sold it at auction in 2017 for something like $17000. My memory is a tad fuzzy on the exact number. He picked it up and is looking to sell. His isn't engraved, just an excellent condition survivor.

I did a little digging around on '66 converted to centerfire and apparently 44 Russian is/was the most common conversion. It harkens back to a time when people couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for a "new" 1873 in the 44WCF and it was cheaper to convert their '66 to centerfire and keep shooting it.
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

RIDERED350r wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:20 pm Pretty fair possibility it's chambered 44 Russian.
I did a little digging around on '66 converted to centerfire and apparently 44 Russian is/was the most common conversion. It harkens back to a time when people couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for a "new" 1873 in the 44WCF and it was cheaper to convert their '66 to centerfire and keep shooting it.
I guess it's a pretty simple process the end of the firing pin has a disk that screws off you just take it off file the rimfire strikers down and braze a point in the center to hit a centerfire primer I read some of them will fire both centerfire and rimfire not sure if the chamber is modified

It takes almost a year to process a gun through that auction house I sold a rare Mauser with Morphy by the time they took their cut and I waited 9 months it wasn't worth it I did end up with real nice pictures of a gun I didn't own anymore !!

I dont think there are a whole lot of folks with the extra cash I posted mine for 8700$ . There are over 60 Win 1866's on Guns International only one has any provenance for the engraving he has a picture os his gun laid on a gun in the Madis book that looks almost the same as his .
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I would have thought any of those dealers I listed above would have gave you the asking price you listed it for.
Which seems way under what its actual appraised value would be.The biggie is having it authenticated .
Which most people would have to see it in person to do.

I would think if you take some high quality photos and email them to Leroy Merz he could at least say its original or not.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It might be worth the drive to New Mexico and have Ron Peterson take a look at it. He's one of the best antique gun shops in the US, and he sells a lot of high end guns. He also buys them at fair prices, so you might consider calling his shop and arrange to send pictures to them, and get an idea if it's worth the drive to Albuquerque, NM to sell it to him.

https://ronpetersonfirearms.com/
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:32 am It might be worth the drive to New Mexico and have Ron Peterson take a look at it. He's one of the best antique gun shops in the US, and he sells a lot of high end guns. He also buys them at fair prices, so you might consider calling his shop and arrange to send pictures to them, and get an idea if it's worth the drive to Albuquerque, NM to sell it to him.

https://ronpetersonfirearms.com/
Im selling it for health reasons cant drive anymore but thanks for the idea I just lowered the price again sooner or later someone will take advantage of this deal......,
Discus420
Levergunner

Post by Discus420 »

gone to Auction