Made it to the Range this morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Made it to the Range this morning

Post by JimT »

with the chopped up Mosin Nagant and my new home-made peep sight. Shooting at 25 yards I adjusted the windage until it was hitting center. Then I moved over to the 50 yard range. I have not adjusted the elevation, my measurements before making the rear sight were pretty close! This was the 5th or 6th target of the day, fired with a hot barrel. I don't know that I can do any better. I need someone who is a real rifleman to shoot the gun. It's not real accurate but it will sure do Minute Of Whitetail.
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3801.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Made it to the Range this morning

Post by 2ndovc »

Makes a pretty slick farm/truck/camp carbine, and it's more than capable to do what it was made for. To improve on that you'll have to put a Finn barrel on it. :D

I grew up in a house full of military sporters and have several of my own. They are some of my favorites to just go out and plink with. A .315 Round Ball and a few grains of Unique are darned fun in the 7.62x45r, along with .32 ACP bullets.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bet that gives a good ole' flash 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nath wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:59 pm Bet that gives a good ole' flash 8)
My 9 year old Grandson said, "I could see a huge fire come out of it!" :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:39 pm Makes a pretty slick farm/truck/camp carbine, and it's more than capable to do what it was made for. To improve on that you'll have to put a Finn barrel on it. :D

I grew up in a house full of military sporters and have several of my own. They are some of my favorites to just go out and plink with. A .315 Round Ball and a few grains of Unique are darned fun in the 7.62x45r, along with .32 ACP bullets.

jb 8)
This morning I shot some 115 gr. cast bullet with 11 gr. of Unique. I was disappointed with the accuracy at 50 yards but up closer they did OK.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My favorite loads for the Mosins and my '95 is 42 -44 grs. of Varget and a 174 or 190 gr. bullet. I just got a couple hundred 200 gr. Privi Partizan JSPs that I'm looking forward to trying in the Nagants and Enfields. With your little carbine, the muzzle blast alone should knock down whatever you shoot at. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:22 pm
Nath wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:59 pm Bet that gives a good ole' flash 8)
My 9 year old Grandson said, "I could see a huge fire come out of it!" :lol:
:D 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, back when I messed with the shorter-barreled Mosins, I think it was Bulgarian ball ammo loaded for machine gun use that gave the best fireball. Your grandson would really like this stuff! :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:04 pm My favorite loads for the Mosins and my '95 is 42 -44 grs. of Varget and a 174 or 190 gr. bullet. I just got a couple hundred 200 gr. Privi Partizan JSPs that I'm looking forward to trying in the Nagants and Enfields. With your little carbine, the muzzle blast alone should knock down whatever you shoot at. :D

jb 8)
One of my old Lyman loading manuals has data for the Mosin. Jacketed from 150 to 200. Cast from about the same to 213 gr. I think I am gonna try my 190 gr. cast bullet in it and see how it does.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A couple of times at the range I was next to a shooter with a Mosin carbine, I found it difficult to concentrate with a flame thrower a few feet away.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Sure looks like it's pulled together quite well for you. Somehow I've managed to NOT come across a Mosin to shoot in the past four decades I've been able to accumulate such items. I've had a couple of SKS's, but somehow the old bolt gun escaped me. At current prices it ain't likely I'll ever get my mitts on one, but I've always thought they looked like fun. That is one handy looking carbine and the sighting system is slick!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had the chance to go burn some powder myself this morning. I took along my Savage 220 slug gun, my new to me Knight KRB7 muzzle loader and the model 70 I'm working on.
For the Savage I had 2 slugs to try, both hand loads consisting of THUG SLUGS from Ballistic Products. 3 loaded with HERCO, 3 with PB. of course the PB load shot better than the HERCO... I have lots of HERCO. The PB load shot about 2" at 50 yards.
On to the Knight, 2 50gr pellets of 777 and a TC sabot / bullet combo to check zero at 50yds, then I tried a couple Remington 240gr semi jacket hollow points. Both shot to about same point so I went to 100. I got it to shoot about a 1.75-2" 3 shot group at 100, I can live with that! Then I tried Hornady 290gr Bore Driver, a 12" 3 shot group aint good!
First I had to rezero the 308 since I moved the scope 1 slot rearward on the picatinny rail. 4 shots and 1" high at 100. Then I picked the H380 load, 48gr behind a 150 fmj and shot (an almost) 1 hole 3 shot group. Then I tried Varget- never have had good groups with Varget. I know others really like this powder but nothing I've tried it in has impressed me. Then I shot Benchmark and had another 1 hole group going when I shot the 3rd round I knew I had a bad squeeze. Ill go back to the Benchmark load next trip as I was starting to flinch after all the heavy recoil and that hard plastic butt on the model 70... gotta get a decelerator on it!
20220917_124210.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!