Winchester 94 non-stamped carrier

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tallboy
Levergunner

Winchester 94 non-stamped carrier

Post by Tallboy »

Hey,

I was interested in a 66' Winchester 94 commemorative in 30-30. I have heard this has a stamped carrier and is a weak point.

I've tried calling a few places online and no one has this part. Does anyone know how I would go about replacing that weak part with a better one?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 non-stamped carrier

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

You might want to think about that before getting any sort of replacement.

I have an old 94 that I carried on horseback, in the patrol car, on 4 wheelers and from Mexico to Canada. I don't know how many rounds I have through it but I don't think that there is anything about the carrier that ever troubled me for a minute. I haven't babied this rifle and I don't intend to change anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Did you try here ?

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/

They carry a very good range of Winchester parts.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CAUTION!
Just because you read about it does not make it so.
Use that rifle. You will find out what is true and what ain't.
Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

Bruce Scott wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:36 pm Did you try here ?

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/

They carry a very good range of Winchester parts.
Wow that worked. Amazing...

and also I get (and agree with) what you guys are saying about "dont believe it until you see it". Thank you!
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Don't fix it if it ain't broke! :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The 94 has been around for a long time and I never heard about a problem with the carrier until you brought it up. Now, I may not know a lot, but I know a lot of people in South Texas who rely on these guns and I would think that this would have come up before.

If it makes you feel more confident, I don't have any objection to you changing parts on your gun. I just don't know that you need it.

Take this in the spirit it is given...friendly advice.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

The only complaint I've ever heard of about the stamped carriers on the early post-64 rifles is that they are stamped. Can't say I've heard or read about failures. But I'm just one person and I don't claim to be any sort of authority on the subject.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

JOG wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 pm Don't fix it if it ain't broke! :D
Another way of saying it is, if it ain't broke don't fix it! :P That being said, WAY back in the day when my Grand Father worked for the Southern Pacific railroad back when they still used steam engines, when they had a problem with an engine and the powers that be wouldn't fix it they would get the engine moving forward at a pretty good pace and then throw it into reverse and break it enough that they would HAVE to fix it! Just saying. :mrgreen:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When enough of any product has been produced, there will be examples of every part of it failing. Few firearms come close to the number of 94 Winchesters out there. The vast majority are still running. There have been more post 64 94s made than there were pre 64s in the beginning.
I have no doubt there are stamped lifters that have failed. What I'd like to know is how many failed after being pried on by moronic owners? Bet they left that part out when they told the story, also.
If it feeds, fires, and ejects, leave it. If it makes you feel better, source a cast example and throw it in your parts drawer. You'll have it if you need it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I had a 1964 Winchester with the stamped carrier Before I gave it away I replaced it with a forged carrier and while I never had problems with the stamped I sure liked the looks of the forged. It was an easy swap and I replaced all the roll pins which did show some wear.
I did it when the parts were around 50 dollars and the young man I gave it to should have a life time of use from it if he keeps it.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I had a late 60’s / early 70’s 1894 in 44mag - it had a stamped carrier. The carrier was prone to breaking in half when the action was open. I replaced the lifter several times and then replaced it for the last time and moved it on. I replaced the rifle with a Browning 92 in 44 mag.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only year Winchester made a top eject mdl 94 in 44 Mag was 1969, yes it had the stamped carrier. I had one I bought while I was in the Navy off the coast of VN, I got to shoot every time we were on plane guard duty, (sinking dropped fuel tanks). I used it until some dirtbag stole it in 1974. I've heard about failed stamped carriers from the early post '64 guns (changed to cast one around 1972/3), and in every instance it was preceded by a jammed cartridge. It would initially bend, and wouldn't unbend without causing a weak spot, then it would break whenever handled roughly. The major cause of jams is a worn cartridge stop on the front of the link, which will let a cartridge in the action under the carrier, trying to then force the action closed would bend the carrier.

BTW way, the '66 Centennial is a beautiful gun, I like my Short Rifle version.
DSCN1207.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!