Winchester 94 Commemorative 30-30... is good?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tallboy
Levergunner

Winchester 94 Commemorative 30-30... is good?

Post by Tallboy »

I'm looking at this rifle. I had a few questions...

1. I notice a lot of the prices on gunbroker are quite low. Is there something bad about the 66 model that I don't know about? I hear some people talking about a "tin stamped" ejector which is low quality... maybe thats easily replaceable?

2. I don't think this is true brass from what I've read, but is it at least better quality than say... a Henry golden boy of modern day? I have a golden boy and it essentially feels like plastic. The gun in these photos though it actually looks like metal that will wear and patina nicely.

3. Anything else that I should be aware of that isn't obvious from the photos?

Thanks!

JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester 94 Commemorative 30-30... is good?

Post by JBowen »

Tallboy, I have a regular 94 made in 67 that has the stamped lifter and have never had a problem with it. It has had a lot of rounds through it over the years.
As far as I am concerned, I would not let that or the fake brass (I don't remember what it really is) stop me from buying on.

JBowen
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The receiver is gold plated steel.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That looks very nice! If you could CCH the lever, trigger and hammer, it would be out of the park! Keep us posted! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have that exact same rifle. A '66 Centennial Commemorative mdl 94 Winchester Short Rifle. the stamped part everyone sez is problematic is the carrier (lifter). I have a few rifles of this vintage with the stamped carrier, they only become a problem when there's something else with the rifle and someone tries to force the action into doing something it's not capable of. I outfitted mine with a Lyman tang sight, (had to drill and tap the tang) and a Lyman #17A globe front sight. It's at least as accurate as I am. I must admit that wood looks better than mine! :mrgreen:
DSCN1357.JPG
As noted above, it's brass plated steel, something IIRC is "Sintered Steel", IIRC. Unlike the pre-'64 and post '82 USRA mdl 94s which were forged steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I understand the receiver is cast iron on post 64 but became steel again later on.
Mine is a 66 model and the receiver is very much iron. Winchester had to coat the iron somehow so it would accept a blue. I think they developed two processes but the coating is thin. Heck, mine even smells of cast iron!
It is very possible that iron will accept brass readily via electrolysis and if so it will probably be more serviceable than the blued models from that time!
They also swapped out some screws for roll pins and the lever is less finished on the sides.
My stamped lifter works just fine.

The good news is that the barrels are just as good. Mine shoots real good and the trigger is good.
I shot this photo after trying one round of a new load off hand at something like 100yds. It so far wants to shoot everything I have experimented with very well indeed. Not at first though but once I got the copper out of the barrel it started to shoot straight.
IMG_20220725_194101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Turns out I got the above slightly wrong.
https://du-lite.com/blackening-post-64- ... receivers/
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good information, thanks for posting that. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well Tallboy, what did you get??? :D -Tutt

Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:05 pm Well Tallboy, what did you get??? :D -Tutt
That guy I really wanted to buy it from wouldnt ship to California, and got super aggressive :shock: I have to wait until I see another one... instead I bought a Miroku 1873 until I see another 30-30 94 :)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I didn't know Miroku ever made '73's. What is the finish on it? Caliber? -T-

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:06 pm I didn't know Miroku ever made '73's. What is the finish on it? Caliber? -T-
I've got a Winchester (Miroku) 1873 in .357 magnum and a Winchester (Miroku) 1866 in .44 WCF. Neither have silly, extra safeties and a well made.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:06 pm I didn't know Miroku ever made '73's. What is the finish on it? Caliber? -T-
I got what looks like a rare one, I've never seen one like it! Usually they have different stocks with the deluxe model, but I love the wood grain on this one which was why I bought it immediately

it also has my favorite barrel (24" octagon) and chambered in 357, my favorite plinking round! it also has the straight stock without checkering in beautiful pattern. I cant even find this configuration on the site... I dont really know what model it is but its definitely winchester/miroku. maybe it is a discontinued model

I thought it might be the sporter octagon of the 'current' models, but i cant see any with stocks like this one
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, nice find!!!!! :D :mrgreen: -Tutt