Range trip didn't go as planned.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Range trip didn't go as planned.

Post by 2ndovc »

Some days can be just weird.

Headed off to the range this morning with the Swede .35 Remington and grandpa's .35 WCF.
I'd loaded some of the newly formed .30-40 brass with a 200 gr Hornady Flex bullet and 45 grains of Varget.
Started at 50 yds and POI was really low, ended up moving the sight elevator all the way up and got it close to where I wanted it.
Moved back to 100 yds, got the rifle back out of the case and the hammer is stuck at full cock. ?!?!?! Well, Snot!
Got the Mauser out, same bullet and 37 gr of Leverlution which is a new powder for me, but the factory LVLs were quite accurate in this rifle.
Sighting in at 100 yds, Started a little low and right, then a little too far left and just when I think I have it, POP! Somehow, one case didn't get a powder charge. In all the time I've been reloading, I can't remember doing that with a rifle cartridge. I have with my Dillon and pistol cartridges on occasion. Didn't have a cleaning rod along, so that was the end of shooting for today.

The rest of the day made up for it though. A week ago I was offered and accepted an offer from a larger insurance company as a property adjuster and got the call today that it was official!
Then on the way home, a friend wanted me to stop and look at a Marlin that was his uncles. A very nice condition 336 Pre-Safety, 30-30 that he didn't want and asked if I wanted it for $500. So needless to say, it's leaning up against my desk as I type.
Got the stock off of the '95 and half of the hammer spring (main spring?) fell out. Snapped in half. :shock:
Easier fix than anticipated. Just have to track down a new one ( or three).

Overall a good day, I'd say. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Range trip didn't go as planned.

Post by RIDERED350r »

Talk about a topsy turvy day! But at least it ended on a good note.

I had a nice little range day the other day with a pair of new to me TC muzzleloaders, one for me and one for my daughter. Both shot well but the Hawken stole the show with the best group I've ever done with a traditional smoke pole. After two sight adjustments (it was way low initially) I made a 1.5" or so four shot group at 50yds and one was a near perfect bullseye.

After I put the two muzzle loaders away I broke out the 1886 and proceeded to wear out my shoulder sending 24rds of worked up smokeless 45-90. Crescent buttplate and naught but a T-shirt. This was sunday and my shoulder is still tender! 🤣
IMG_20220911_133102566_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220911_121707079_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220911_121631851_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That '86 is a beauty!

Those crescent butt plates can wear you out. I have n 1885 in .45-70 can be a real stinker if I'm not paying attention.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That Hawken proves that front stuffer guns are accurate. Nice group.
Jason, glad the 1895 doesn't seem to be a seriously difficult fix. Those older Marlin leverguns were well built from what little I know. Hope you have fun with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Some days i just don`t know why it is. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Some days I wish I just pulled the covers over me!
Glad you got another rifle though. Every cloud and all that....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, a new job and a new old Marlin make a wonderful save!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations on everything except the busted spring.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:16 pm That Hawken proves that front stuffer guns are accurate. Nice group.
Jason, glad the 1895 doesn't seem to be a seriously difficult fix. Those older Marlin leverguns were well built from what little I know. Hope you have fun with it.
I've had a few but a couple got caught up in the Great Purge. I've been looking for a good, clean and unmolested 30-30 & .35 Rem. for a few months. Down to just a few that still need to be replaced. Still need a WWII 1911A1 to replace the one I had. Found one that was close, but was $3k. :D

Anyway,

Thanks for the nice words guys. Just about to type up my "two weeks notice" letter. It's not a bad company, just made a better deal elsewhere with a more stable company. I knew the adjuster that retired for my area and that helped. Certianly didn't hurt, but they really needed a property adjuster that knows how to build and fix things. The kids coming out of college these days have no idea how things are put together. It's one of those positions for someone that's been there, done that and too beat up to do that stuff anymore. :D

I'll post some pictures of the Marlin when I have a minute. I know I have a Lyman 66 around here somewhere. :D
jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jason do yourself a favor and invest in a 5/16 brass rod, usually 36" and make it part of your range gear. I had a stuck case once( extractor ripped the rim off) and without that rod my day would have been over!
Congrats on the new job!
Double congrats on the new Marlin!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:42 pm Jason do yourself a favor and invest in a 5/16 brass rod, usually 36" and make it part of your range gear. I had a stuck case once( extractor ripped the rim off) and without that rod my day would have been over!
Congrats on the new job!
Double congrats on the new Marlin!!
Funny you should mention that. It's on my list to pick one up tomorrow while I'm out and around. :D

I thought I had a spare Lyman peep on my shelf, but found three empty boxes instead. Forgot they had gone with the guns that had been sold. I have a show coming up this weekend that my dad and I set up for. If I don't find one, I'll order one next week. I did find a replacement spring for the '95. I ordered a spare, just in case.

jb :D

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:37 pm I did find a replacement spring for the '95. I ordered a spare, just in case.

jb :D
I have a prediction. Now that you have a spare, you will never need it!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I hope you're right, but since there's four of them in my rack and all about the same vintage I thought it was best to order an extra one. I did have to go to four or five different places to find these. Either our of stock or no longer making new ones.

jb 8)