Here we go again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Here we go again

Post by win40-82 »

Went to the Brule NE gun show today. Nice little show with a little of everything. Managed to find a Winchester Model 1892 in 44WCF made in 1913 with round barrel with a very good bore with good solid wood but missing a little finish and for what I considered a very fair price. The metal is in good shape but not perfect showing some freckling on the barrel. NOW guess what, like all of these older Winchester calibers the brass is no where to be found. This gets so frustrating I just want to find out why Starline or whoever aren't producing any. Same thing happened for my 40-65, 38-55 and 25-20. If there is anybody here that is willing to part with 25 to 100 pieces please let me know. Will try to post some pictures soon. If you have any brass let me know. Fired brass would be fine. Thanks
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Here we go again

Post by Grizz »

i just want to find the mod 92 44-40 ! then i could sympathize more readily with your plight. :lol: :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That's a tough one. I did do a search and there might be some for sale from some unknown sellers but be very careful they are legit. 38-40 brass will work and you can get an alert set up at Graf and Sons. You can make it from 44 Mag brass but its a PITA. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:57 pm That's a tough one. I did do a search and there might be some for sale from some unknown sellers but be very careful they are legit. 38-40 brass will work and you can get an alert set up at Graf and Sons. You can make it from 44 Mag brass but its a PITA. -Tutt
I've made dummy .44 wcf examples from .303 brit, .444 marlin and .45 colt. I just don't see how the .44 mag would work. I think the confusion stems from 5 in 1 blank brass being made slight enough to chamber in the .44 spls and mags.
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Apparently from what I read regarding using 44 Mag brass, you have to thin the case mouth and the case head may be too small. I'm sure you are right and better options out there. I have no idea which one is best. I think brass manufacturers have moved away from making obscure cases to focusing on main stream cases in very high demand. -Tutt

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... &p=5370096
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to have a plethora of rifles that was hard to find or needed to be made from something else . Now not so much ! The only thing I have that’s difficult to get stuff for is the 8 gauge NEW Win hulls and SP-10 wads for the 10 gauge . Of course it takes the sting out that I’m pretty well set with both for a few more years .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Without pictures it's really just a rumor that you actually made a purchase.
NRA life member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You just missed the Starline .44-40 run they did. About the 27th of Aug someone posted on the SASS Wire that Starline was accepting backorders for .44-40, all reported their orders filled this past week. I found the same thing when I needed 45 Colt brass last year... I waited until they listed "backorders acceptable" on their website, and ordered. About a week later I had my brass.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Will try to get some pictures posted now. Found a stamping on the stock that C B 428 - kind of smaller letters but well done. Never noticed until I started wiping the little beast down.
[
IMG_5376.jpg
IMG_5364.jpg
IMG_5363.jpg
IMG_5362.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
cj57
Levergunner

Post by cj57 »

Grizz wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:49 pm i just want to find the mod 92 44-40 ! then i could sympathize more readily with your plight. :lol: :lol:
I just picked up a Marlin 1894 Mfg1899 in 44-40, there a little cheaper, but still some what hard to find
cj57
Levergunner

Post by cj57 »

Congrats! A nice looking 92
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cj57 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:01 am
Grizz wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:49 pm i just want to find the mod 92 44-40 ! then i could sympathize more readily with your plight. :lol: :lol:
I just picked up a Marlin 1894 Mfg1899 in 44-40, there a little cheaper, but still some what hard to find
another fine old timer. hope it's a perfect fit. there is some medicine in old stuff.

grizz
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

win40-82 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:31 pm Went to the Brule NE gun show today. Nice little show with a little of everything. Managed to find a Winchester Model 1892 in 44WCF made in 1913 with round barrel with a very good bore with good solid wood but missing a little finish and for what I considered a very fair price. The metal is in good shape but not perfect showing some freckling on the barrel. NOW guess what, like all of these older Winchester calibers the brass is no where to be found. This gets so frustrating I just want to find out why Starline or whoever aren't producing any. Same thing happened for my 40-65, 38-55 and 25-20. If there is anybody here that is willing to part with 25 to 100 pieces please let me know. Will try to post some pictures soon. If you have any brass let me know. Fired brass would be fine. Thanks

I will spot you to 50 fired Starline cases, no charge. Send me a pm with your address and I'll send them to you.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta