OT: Glocks and Buck knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Glocks and Buck knives

Post by Streetstar »

Been a while since i've posted much, but its nice to see the same group of hooligans and your shenanigans (except for Six -- looks like he's solelly in Politics now ) -- Not much going on with me firearms wise, but i alluded to having a huge sell-off a few years ago that coincided with a series of serious injuries and resultant surgeries to several body parts -- and i havent been rifle hunting in over a decade, so i sold off more of my hunting oriented rifles than i want to mention -- (and a recent thread about Guide Guns had me kicking myself a bit now that i see current prices, but oh well )

The sale had some positives as i got to meet a couple of members though!

So what gives with this? Nothing really , just catching up. Although a bunch of nice bolt guns and a handful of leverguns and single shots in hard kicking calibers went down the road, -- i kept the Winchester 30/30 SRC that originally drew me in to my love for leverguns, as well as a Winchester 94 Trapper in .45 Colt. Neither of those recoil harsh enough to affect my surgically corrected shoulders

But i also sent more than a few handguns down the road ( medical co-pays for surgeries start to add up fast when they're in multiples) --- and things like big magnums and 10mm's did not have much appeal to me anymore ----

That said, i missed having a "Big 10" so the first handgun i re-bought was a Glock 20 . After putting a few rounds through it, i decided i needed another Glock 29 as well --- the local fun shop did not have one though.

I guess i could've congratulated myself on saving $550 and just went on back home, but i had never had a Glock 19 in inventory, and it seems like the absolute most common, and also most versatile pistol in the huge Glock lineup .

I am pleased to report that they have dispensed with the finger grooves on the latest Gen 5 Glocks, -- the finger grooves are fine for me on the big frame model 20 and 21, but they were in the wrong place for my oddly sized hands on the regular sized frame models ---- I have just a couple of magazines through it so far plinking at cans in the backyard, - but i'm really likeing the feel of the new grip frame

Oh - and whats with the watches and the knives? -- i snapped those pics for another forum i post in sometimes centered around watches and EDC -- but i received a few bucks (no pun intended) cash for a recent birthday and the same fun shop had a Buck 110 in the case that was curiously priced about 3x what i would guess a 110 should cost, so i asked to see it , and the little silver button on the side denotes the 110 auto! I just shook my head and thought "How cool is that?" and handed over the money

I'll get some real range reports up soon -- havent been shooting much more than my .22 target rifle the past several years, but somethings better than nothing

----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT: Glocks and Buck knives

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to see you shooting and posting... :D
I've not had an opportunity to use Glocks other than my Glock knife, that auto Buck has got my interest even though it is as outlawed as the pistol here.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:04 pm Good to see you shooting and posting... :D
I've not had an opportunity to use Glocks other than my Glock knife, that auto Buck has got my interest even though it is as outlawed as the pistol here.

Thanks GK ! In a sea of "tactical" appearing knives at the shop, that Buck really stood out to me
----- Doug
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have looked at the 110 auto, but just haven't wanted one enough yet. I like the 110 knives with the plastic handles. They weigh next to nothing. Buck gets sharp and holds an edge reasonably well. My Glock has a spare barrel and a much better than stock spring for the . 357 Sig recoil. The barrel is aftermarket and can handle reloads without the Glock bulge happening. The .40 caliber carrel is stock. Until a Lee bulge buster finds me, no reloads for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Guns & knives- how is that OT?
A trigger is a LEVER.
A knife isn't but so what.

Huh, I've never had an issue with a bulge from my G23 (gen1)...at least not that I bothered noticing.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good stuff!

I had been wanting another 10mm auto around as well, to go with my Blackhawk 10mm/.40S&W. Picked these two up this spring, the Delta was cheap because some "Bubba" got ahold of it and did some "upgrades". It shoots fine, but I really need to get it off to a gunsmith and have it worked over by someone that knows what they are doing. I have several Glocks, but if I were to start over again, it would be with the M&Ps. They just fit me better and I like the manual safety.
Relly like the 110 Auto, it's almost always in my backpack and the Boss Lady bought the Tag for me almost ten years ago. Love that thing.

Sorry to hear about the health issues. Lost a big part of my collection a few years ago for similar reasons.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Gunny, I have. At least in the 10mm. The Glock chamber is unsupported in the 10mm unlike a 1911 in 10 which is fully supported and you can re-load the cases easily enough. This might be a non-issue in low pressure chamberings like 45 ACP. That being said, regarding the "Bulge Buster" from Lee, I did find this warning directly from them:
Glock Cases: We do not recommend "fixing" cases fired in pistols with unsupported chambers, because there is no way to make them safe once they have bulged. The case wall is thinned where it bulges, and resizing the outside of the case back down to the correct diameter does not restore the case back to its original thickness. If this case is fired in a pistol with an unsupported chamber again, and this thinned section of brass happens to line up with the unsupported part of the chamber, there is a high probability that the case will rupture.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah Tutt I get the bulge, guess I never paid attention to it and just put the cases back on the press. Not had a case failure but then again I dont shoot my G23 much, hate looking for brass in the weeds! I never hotrodded the .40.
I did witness a .40 AR upper slam fire, boy that brass looked more like a mushroomed bullet!
However I have shot my Glock underwater- NO HP AMMO! I dumped a whole mag without a hitch, without the special spring cups. Actually my G23 has been put through the wringer. Every test that Glock did from pouring dirt into it to freezing in a block of ice ive done. At the time only 1 other design worked with all the torture tests... John Browning's 1911.
Oh and as long as the extractor can grab the rim a 9mm will go off in a .40 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:54 pm Yeah Tutt I get the bulge, guess I never paid attention to it and just put the cases back on the press. Not had a case failure but then again I dont shoot my G23 much, hate looking for brass in the weeds! I never hotrodded the .40.
I did witness a .40 AR upper slam fire, boy that brass looked more like a mushroomed bullet!
However I have shot my Glock underwater- NO HP AMMO! I dumped a whole mag without a hitch, without the special spring cups. Actually my G23 has been put through the wringer. Every test that Glock did from pouring dirt into it to freezing in a block of ice ive done. At the time only 1 other design worked with all the torture tests... John Browning's 1911.
Oh and as long as the extractor can grab the rim a 9mm will go off in a .40 !
Gunny, you are a braver man than I am! LOL I've heard and read nothing but good things about Glocks unless you start swapping out parts, then all bets are off. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wolff springs and a fully supported chamber in .357 Sig make a Glock model 22 that started life as a .40 S&W a whole different animal. The aftermarket barrel has land and groove rifling, and lead bullets work great out of it. It wears tritium sights. No fears about ruptured cases and Glock-Kabooms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Now THAT is a great idea and tid bit of information, thanks Pard! -Tutt

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:15 pm Guns & knives- how is that OT?
A trigger is a LEVER.
A knife isn't but so what.

Huh, I've never had an issue with a bulge from my G23 (gen1)...at least not that I bothered noticing.

Lol! I guess you’re right!

I imagine a ton of us on here have experience with polymer frame guns of all sorts since these “new school” plastic guns are nearing 40 years old for some designs
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:17 pm Good stuff!

I had been wanting another 10mm auto around as well, to go with my Blackhawk 10mm/.40S&W. Picked these two up this spring, the Delta was cheap because some "Bubba" got ahold of it and did some "upgrades". It shoots fine, but I really need to get it off to a gunsmith and have it worked over by someone that knows what they are doing. I have several Glocks, but if I were to start over again, it would be with the M&Ps. They just fit me better and I like the manual safety.
Relly like the 110 Auto, it's almost always in my backpack and the Boss Lady bought the Tag for me almost ten years ago. Love that thing.

Sorry to hear about the health issues. Lost a big part of my collection a few years ago for similar reasons.

jb 8)

I went the opposite way on auto pistols. I was consolidated down to just shooting Sig, then realized the error of my ways (for me) and have gravitated back towards Glock. But the safety issue is real, - can’t just toss your Glock in the console of the truck and take off, however my old alloy framed Sig’s didn’t have external safeties either.
That said, another local store has a nice blued Kimber 1911 10mm that my eyes are drawn to, even if they are wanting full retail. Would look so cool with some ivories (or faux ivories)

Had a similar Tag - a blue Carrera chrono, that I gifted to my brother when he was contemplating a career change, just to let him know I had his back whatever direction he chose to go

I will wind up replacing it too when I can. Alas, my watch collection took a hit at the same time the gun collection did, and prices have skyrocketed in the last 2 or 3 years. Blame it on the new money bitcoin operators :lol:

My career field is the same as yours except with the injuries I’ve had to shift gears a bit and now don’t really travel at all. It’s less stress but a lot less profitable. Every prospective purchase now is weighed out on a use/utility/enjoyment scale and sadly , a nice watch is not there yet.

A Delta meets the “use/utility/enjoyment” criteria if I ever stumble onto one at a bubba’ed price though :lol: I can only imagine a Nighthawk with some softer loaded .40’s in it would be a dream to shoot
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Took a couple of years for me to get back to "close to normal". Still can't do what I used to be able to physically, but I'm not giving up anytime soon. :D

I do enjoy my Glocks, but the full size M&Ps fit me well. I did buy a Sig 365 with a manual safety for an everyday piece. Growing up shooting 1911s it's hard to get used to not having a thumb safety.

Now I just need to find a good gunsmith that specializes in 1911s. My guy retired and I just didn't care for the guy he recommended.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"