Eye Issues, Hear Comes 60! (Red Dots?)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Eye Issues, Hear Comes 60! (Red Dots?)

Post by Bryan Austin »

At 56 years old, the eye issues are finally here bigtime. I need my prescription glasses to see the target and my reading glasses to see the sights. As you may already know, I have used the scopes for both my rifles but since removed the scope from my Marlin 1894CB.

Recently I was removing some very destructive beavers and noticed I was having problems seeing this large creature at only 50 yards away. After missing a few shots (not knowing were I was hitting), I finally got one on video (very interesting results with the 44-40). I almost missed him and would have been better off clubbing him over the head with a stick! I was about to pull the trigger at 50 yards, broadside, when he turned and came right towards me. I waited as long as I could and let loose on him when I thought I could see him good enough to not miss at such a close range.

I have decided to order and try out some (inexpensive)"red dot" options and see if this helps these tired eyes.

Your thoughts on mounting locations on the Marlin 1894 receivers? Right now I plan on using the forward or after scope mount but may install a rail.

I thought about posting the video, but I have no apatite for the Liberal Karens that can not refrain from replying.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Eye Issues, Hear Comes 60! (Red Dots?)

Post by AJMD429 »

My 'Night Scout' project with the 1894 might be of interest - I've found the concept very dependable and practical, even when out dealing with chicken predators or goat predators at night.

The 'Night Scout' summary thread - http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... 2d#p583183

The 1894 I did in 44 Mag then converted to 45 Colt eventually wound up with the same Fastfire-2/Lasermax setup on a short section of scope mount rail just on the receiver-top instead of that forward mount.

The thread on the 1894 big-bore - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40663

No particular reason, but I just felt the forward mount was unnecessary and got rid of it. I suppose the little sliver of aluminum weighs less than the larger forward mount and saves a couple ounces too.

Not sure I have a picture handy of the current version.

I now am fiddling with a Ranger Precision setup using my 1894 CST, mostly to get away from the wooden forend that traps moisture under it and corrodes the magazine tube if you go out in the rain. I'll see if I have a picture of that, although the concept definitely offends some traditionalists. (I tend to think of it as 'practical' versus 'tactical')
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Thanks, thats good news because I was hoping I didnt have to put it so far forward!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pretty much everything I’ve got that can have optics has them. Kids gave me grief. But that stopped when I started to out shoot them again.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If a scope or a red dot can keep you on target, then do it. I was born nearsighted, and do not know what it is like to see my foot without glasses. There are cantilever rails which fit the base in the rear sight slot and have a rail for a red dot or reflex sight which extends back a few inches. They put the red dot in a more natural position. As for the Karens who complain about a scope on a levergun, let them go jump off of a cliff.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'll be 60 in October. I am fortunately blessed with 20-20 vision.

But I find that I cannot change focus from close to far as easily as I once could. I really like the Night Scout concept. It seems to be a very useful way to deal with these issues.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:27 am I'll be 60 in October. I am fortunately blessed with 20-20 vision.

But I find that I cannot change focus from close to far as easily as I once could. I really like the Night Scout concept. It seems to be a very useful way to deal with these issues.
Here's a picture of my latest project. When they came out with the threaded 1894's I "had" to get one in 357 because I have a Mystic suppressor from Liberty cans that is 0.357 caliber. It's marketed as a 9 mm pistol can, but since it can be taken apart for cleaning it's ideal for cast bullets in a lever gun anything from 35 Remington on down.

Anyway since I got the new lever gun I figured I would take care of my other pet peeve (the first one being the lousy factory sites that come with) about traditional lever guns, which is that moisture gets under the forend and the forends are never easy to take off and put back on for cleaning. So I got an aluminum forend
That is of course waterproof, but also stands out a bit from the magazine tube and barrel so moisture won't collect.
IMG_20220823_210814125~2.jpg
Then I found I liked it so much because of its being so extremely lightweight that I got the companion buttstock. So it's sort of looks like a space gun instead of a lever gun but the combination of red dot and laser with the ability to easily clip on a light makes it practical for going out at night to check on the livestock, especially if it's raining, it's going to be the one I take. This particular Red Dot site has an etched reticle so you still have two circular aiming points even if the battery is dead or you don't turn it on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

CHPWS makes many red dot mounts that go in the scope mount holes. I use the small pistol red dots like the Trijicon RMR or Holosun 508 and 509 models. They work great.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Woodsloafer2 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:57 pm CHPWS makes many red dot mounts that go in the scope mount holes. I use the small pistol red dots like the Trijicon RMR or Holosun 508 and 509 models. They work great.
Yeah the Burris Fastfire's are nice too, tiny lightweight and durable.

Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

I hate it but now I can see the target and the dot without my glasses
A9A1D4F0-E1F4-423E-BBBB-F74ED17D3171.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If it works, then who cares about what it looks like. Vision changes over time for most people. Usually for the worse. Using something which helps you to continue to shoot accurately is never bad.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost