Anybody got anything new......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody got anything new......

Post by Ray »

to report on the .350 legend cartridge ?

I've been experimenting with a spanish manufactured single-shot using near maximum .357 rem. max. load data in both .350 legend and .223 basic starline brass.

It's not quite a tackdriver in my hands with just a sig green dot mounted but fun nonetheless. In the unsanctioned world of guerrilla ballistics I found that it will pop primed cases from 9x17, 9x18 (ultra & makarov), 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, & 9mm magnum.....not headspaced...... just the extractor holding the case against the blow of the firing-pin. Perhaps I will garner the courage to fire a few factory parabellum rounds just to see where they land compared to the current sight regulation.

Your thoughts and or experiences ?
-2067706321522328822.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody got anything new......

Post by Ray »

Trimmed starline .223 basic brass. 125 gr. .356" bowling pin bullet over 8 grains of vectan A1 (foreign greendot sub.)
-424595969915435352.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Referencing the 9mm magnum above reminded me of this......

http://sixguns.com/tests/tt9mag.htm
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Interesting.

I've been wanting to pick up a single shot or bold action in .450 Bushmaster to experiment with. I keep going back and forth between the Henry single shot and the Bergara or Savage Bolt actions.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have yet to read anything that shows extremely good accuracy with the 350. I mean a couple inch group at 100 just doesn't get me excited for the cartridge.
My 450 Bushmaster is a tack driver with every load I've tried, I just hate chasing brass!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, I cannot offer much on this, except that it looks like you are having some fun -- which is the whole point. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not 'new' but I have an Encore in 300 Blackout that has been fun to mess with. Threaded so quiet with the right loads, and accuracy potential should be great in that gun. Had it several years but need to shoot it more. Someday.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am Interesting.

I've been wanting to pick up a single shot or bold action in .450 Bushmaster to experiment with. I keep going back and forth between the Henry single shot and the Bergara or Savage Bolt actions.

jb 8)
I'd say that's bold talk... :wink:

Sorry, just couldn't resist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I was not aware of the CVA Scout pistols. Now I'm intrigued. Your referencing 357 Max in relation to them really piques my interest. I've got one of their 35 Whelen rifles and it's a dandy - as long as you use a scope with enough eye relief on it to keep it off your eyebrow. My son and I whacked the white buffalo with it out at the Whittington Center last June, using Kentucky windage and a good spotting scope. But I digress, only mentioned it as I'm quite impressed with the rifle platform.

Is it a take down version, or not? I confess I've done no looking into the 350 Legend, but in a single shot rifle or pistol I'd find it far more interesting. Looking forward to further reports. There's a lot of free bore in front of a 9mm Parabellum, so doubt accuracy will be stellar. Other than that I can't imagine a reason to NOT try a couple "for grins and science".
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

We have several modern cva's, both long and short in .50 m.l. , .223, 6.5 grendel, .300 b.o. , .350 legend, .44 mag. Perhaps a .243 pistol and a .35 whelen, .444, or 45-70 rifle is in the future.

Now that s & w has let t/c languish, the scout and optima have essentially replaced the contender and encore. The whole kit and kaboodle from cva costs less than just a bare t/c frame.

Takedown ? Yes but the barrels are specifically fitted and are not readily interchangeable.

They are too heavy though. The pistols should be scaled-down somewhat.

b.t.w., the .50 m.l. loaded with a single propellant pellet or a .45 colt case of powder is about as much fun as can be had.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/ ... ol-pp221sm

These do well.....

https://harvestermuzzleloading.com/inde ... ack-qty-20
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:38 pm

jb 8)

:D

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about.
I type too fast sometimes and don't always catch some of that stuff.
You should see my notes in our claims manager. :shock: I get WTF emails all the time.

jb :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:40 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:38 pm

jb 8)

:D

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about.
I type too fast sometimes and don't always catch some of that stuff.
You should see my notes in our claims manager. :shock: I get WTF emails all the time.

jb :D
Me too Jason! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:29 pm .
Not 'new' but I have an Encore in 300 Blackout that has been fun to mess with. Threaded so quiet with the right loads, and accuracy potential should be great in that gun. Had it several years but need to shoot it more. Someday.

Love my Encore ! I purchased it with a 14.5" 45/70 barrel years ago back when i thought that anything worth doing was worth over-doing

Sigh -- I will source a .22 barrel and a target forend for it some day sooner than later i hope -- then i can get a bit more use out of it

Was watching the movie "Hard Target" years ago and i wondered at the time what sort of blunderbuss LAnce Henriksen was supposed to be shooting ---- looks like a Contender with no sights

----- Doug