Most sought after .22lr?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tallboy
Levergunner

Most sought after .22lr?

Post by Tallboy »

I bought a henry 22 golden boy, and while it's super awesome, it didn't occur to me until after that there's probably an original Browning/Miroku or something during the "golden era" that might be much more desirable.

I'm trying to refine my guns down to ones I'd never part with due their quality, fit and finish (and paying the price for them :cry: ). The golden boy's internals have a bit more to be desired, and the gold shell feels like plastic, and its not real brass. It is incredibly fun to shoot though, and its very accurate. I was shooting 12 inch gongs @ 200 yards, standing, with iron sights, and could hit about 40% of the time.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: Most sought after .22lr?

Post by 4t5 »

Can't go wrong with a Marlin 39 A
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Then there always is a Winchester M1885 .22LR --either Hi or Lo Wall --in schuetzen configuration complete with the manure fork (AKA palm rest):

https://www.merzantiques.com/product/w3 ... iber-22-a/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A 9422 takes some beating for quality.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

4t5 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:41 am Can't go wrong with a Marlin 39 A
What he said! :mrgreen:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

1894cfan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:08 pm
I have one from the mid '50s and it's my favorite lever action .22lr. I have several bolt and autoloading .22s but my favorite to shoot is a Martini / Greener. I've made some very long range shots with that rifle that i doubt I could have with any other .22 I own.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:57 am A 9422 takes some beating for quality.
Yep, I won't part with mine, it's an early model and had a lot of abuse before I got it several years ago and it has never let me down.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm
Yep, I won't part with mine, it's an early model and had a lot of abuse before I got it several years ago and it has never let me down.
Always fancied one in WMR John.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A Winchester 94-22 (in .22 Magnum) is probably my most useful rifle.

But if you can find a Winchester 1873 replica in .22 lr, I think that would be the bees knees!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

My 1974 Marlin 39A. Probably put at least 10K thru it, maybe more. Took it apart and cleaned it once , otherwise just take a q-tip to clean out the action lightly if needed and lube it. Still works perfectly
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My C Sharps 1885 in 22lr
My Greener Martini 22lr
Uberti 66 carbine 22lr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have had two 9422 magnums the first was incredibly accurate out to 200yds the second one I had was inconsistent but still a great rifle for foxes.
I also once owned an Italian 73 SRC in .22lr heavy for a .22 but great fun, my girlfriend took her fist rabbit with it.
My current 9422 in .22lr shoots anything I put in it although it was proofed in Germany and they crossed out the S for shorts why I don't know because it shoots shorts, longs and long rifle without a problem.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

1st Winchester 9422.
2nd Marlin 39. :D
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

JOG wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:56 pm 1st Winchester 9422.
2nd Marlin 39. :D
That's my position as well. I've got a 1976 9422M with an old K4 on it, shoots as well as any rimfire bolt gun I've seen.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Fancy, pretty, and desirable are all in the eye of the beholder.
I have a WWII-era Win, 72 that never missed a squirrel, and I'll never get rid of it.
I've had a couple 39 Mounties and a 39A that went down the road.
I have a 9422 and a 9422M. Neither can be beat for 100% reliable function and very decent accuracy. I need to see about a couple Skinner peeps for them.
I always thought that if I wanted another lever 22 a Henry Youth Model would be the berries. Small and compact. I'd prolly get the iron model, no fake brass :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Assuming you are confining your choices to leverguns, this is another plug for the best 2. Win 9422, and Marlin 1891, 92, 97, 39, an 39a.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Arrrgh, you guys are a terrible influence, you know that? :lol: Been looking at 22 Mag rifles tonight of various sorts..... -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:23 pm Arrrgh, you guys are a terrible influence, you know that? :lol: Been looking at 22 Mag rifles tonight of various sorts..... -Tutt
:D Henry slide action .22 mag.....Say it...Say it again :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I would have to vote for the 9422. I have one that was plagued by occassional misfires until I made a new firing pin out of a Ruger 10/22 firing pin. The firing pin impression is as wide as the slot in the bolt and I haven't had a misfire since.

The 10/22, Remington 572 and 510 are also on my list.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:23 pm Arrrgh, you guys are a terrible influence, you know that? :lol: Been looking at 22 Mag rifles tonight of various sorts..... -Tutt
Here ya go Andy.
The most accurate .22 I've ever had.

Royal Australian Air Force, No.7 Mk1 .22lr repeating trainer. The contract was for approx. 2500 rifles, but only a few hundred were completed.

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. :D
If you can find a CZ 452 .22 Magnum, they are super shooters. I'll never part with mine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I love the military 22 trainers as well.I have this ww1 trainer,mine still has the bolt cover which is rare for these trainers.It is an accurate fun gun to shoot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"The most accurate .22 I've ever had.

"Royal Australian Air Force, No.7 Mk1 .22lr repeating trainer. The contract was for approx. 2500 rifles, but only a few hundred were completed."
--2ndDOVC

Great score and a hard to find rifle! When I was collecting Enfields, I had a BOLO for a Enfield #3 or #4 converted to .22LR. Just could find one that had a price commensurate with condition.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Maybe not "desirable" - but i like the standard $350 original Henry quite a bit

It has a budget appearance and the sights look like they belong on a BB gun, but the little rifles just work and are accurate

Cost no object though, i'd like a Winchester
----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Streetstar wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:55 pm Maybe not "desirable" - but i like the standard $350 original Henry quite a bit

It has a budget appearance and the sights look like they belong on a BB gun, but the little rifles just work and are accurate

Cost no object though, i'd like a Winchester
I had the original forerunner to the Henry the German made Erma, it was an excellent rifle and if I didn't have my Winchester I would buy a Henry tomorrow.
0001-9.jpg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:03 pm
I have one from the mid '50s and it's my favorite lever action .22lr. I have several bolt and autoloading .22s but my favorite to shoot is a Martini / Greener. I've made some very long range shots with that rifle that i doubt I could have with any other .22 I own.

jb 8)
Another vote for the Marlin 39A! :D
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I've had a few .22s over the years and enjoyed all of them, they were:
a single shot JGA when I was 11 or 12,
an Anschutz Model 1415,
a Brno Model 2,
a Krico Stutzen with double set trigger, and
a 9422.

But my all time favorite is this little Martini:

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

If I had the money I d have this a m1922 Springfield in 22lr customized by Griffon amd Howe in 1956.It s one of my lottery win guns
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Those M1922's are really neat. 30 years back or so, a friend had one that he'd bring camping and I shot it any chance I got. He wouldn't part with it - matter of fact, he didn't bring it camping anymore once he figured out what is was worth!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, I have been researching for days on what to buy in 22. Lots of stuff out there, some of it amazingly expensive like 94/22's and certain bolt actions. The Henry's in lever and pump form looked pretty good and I came close to buying one of them. Now is not a very good time for me to be buying anything so price and value was important. The subject of the 17 HMR came up and while it is very popular now, it doesn't do so well on ballistic gelatin compared to the tried and true 22 Mag. Then the 17 WSM (Winchester Super Magnum rimfire not Win Short Mag) came up and while it has much more range and good terminal energy the ammo is harder to find and more expensive. Found a good deal at Bud's for a Savage BRJ 93 bolt gun in 22 Mag that has some very fine target shooting features and also got very good prices on rail adapter, scope and rings as well. The Sig Sauer Buckmaster 3-9 x50 scope has an excellent bullet drop compensator reticle which I will be needing. Ammo is readily available in local places which is of more concern now than ever. Now starts the long wait for order processing, shipping and 10 day wait in Commiefornia while I continue to pack to move south.

Here was an interesting comparison of the 22 Mag and 17 HMR on gelatin. You don't need to watch all of the videos to get the jist of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CeLDtmPms&t=615s

Similar result in clay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN2SjoekcFs

Even Desert Dog seems to prefer the 22 Mag over the 17 for hunting. Apparently the 22 Mag and 17 HMR are not well suited to semi-auto rifles though. Yikes. :o :shock: This video is worth watching in its entirety before buying a 22 Mag or 17 HMR (or 17 WSM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9e-YyyTdVQ&t=399s

So hopefully I made a good choice here. I still have one custom levergun I'm waiting on if it can ever be completed!

Thanks to the board here for their friendship and collective knowledge on the 22 Mag. Jason, the CZ's rifles came very close too! Hope the OP finds his dream 22 rifle, they can be quite expensive.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

All this rimfire talk has me daydreaming about the old .25 Stevens Long, a 65-grain bullet at 1200. Old timers said it was a fine small game cartridge.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Sounds like you made a good choice.

I am a huge fan of the .17HMR, and I have even shot Steve Hornady's gatling gun in that chambering. The .17 is the best turtle rifle of all times and I really like it. Flat shooting and super accurate.

But for general use, I think the .22 Mag in 40 gr soft point form is more useful. In my truck there are always three boxes of ammo. 1 box of .22 CCI Maxi Mag, 1 box of .45 ACP ball ammo, and 1 box of 170 gr .30-30 ammo.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I'm with you on the 9422. I have one in .22lr and another with a beautiful laminated stock in .22 mag. I still have a Remington Nylon 66 as well as my first rifle, a Winchester model 61 pump. One that I regret letting get away was a Remington 541-S bolt action. Twas a beautiful gun.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:18 pm Savage BRJ 93 bolt gun in 22 Mag that has some very fine target shooting features and also got very good prices on rail adapter, scope and rings as well. The Sig Sauer Buckmaster 3-9 x50 scope has an excellent bullet drop compensator reticle which I will be needing. Ammo is readily available in local places which is of more concern now than ever. Now starts the long wait for order processing, shipping and 10 day wait in Commiefornia while I continue to pack to move south.
-Tutt
That looks like a great rifle. I bet you will love it. I'm a huge fan of the .22 mag. Never had any interest in tiny fast bullets. My old plain jane marlin 25M has shot some pretty small groups, and has killed lots of critters.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

At this point I'm surprised Winchester has not already had Miroku resurrect the 9422. As for Marlin, I've heard from a reliable source in Connecticut that as Ruger continues the Marlin journey, they will have a 22 lever gun in the works.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

kaschi wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:38 pm At this point I'm surprised Winchester has not already had Miroku resurrect the 9422. As for Marlin, I've heard from a reliable source in Connecticut that as Ruger continues the Marlin journey, they will have a 22 lever gun in the works.
From what I have heard you can still get a Marlin M 39 through the custom shop, I could be wrong.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

FLINT wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:15 pm
CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:18 pm Savage BRJ 93 bolt gun in 22 Mag that has some very fine target shooting features and also got very good prices on rail adapter, scope and rings as well. The Sig Sauer Buckmaster 3-9 x50 scope has an excellent bullet drop compensator reticle which I will be needing. Ammo is readily available in local places which is of more concern now than ever. Now starts the long wait for order processing, shipping and 10 day wait in Commiefornia while I continue to pack to move south.
-Tutt
That looks like a great rifle. I bet you will love it. I'm a huge fan of the .22 mag. Never had any interest in tiny fast bullets. My old plain jane marlin 25M has shot some pretty small groups, and has killed lots of critters.
I had a Marlin 25M it was extremely accurate I only sold it when I ordered a new Winchester 9422M from the states, can't do that anymore. :(
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

My shooting partner has a Henry .22 mag lever gun with an octagonal barrel. I am envious because it's a fine rifle; well-made and accurate. It doesn't enter into the controversy about having a side gate or not.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

+1
Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

Thanks for all the help in this thread!

I have decided on a Winchester 94/22... I have my eye on one.

I love the XTR finish but I don't like checkering... i see only a single gun on the internet which has XTR finish / no checkering / 22LR (not mag). I'm guessing considering I can find only one, they're extremely rare and maybe not worth waiting.

Is there a gunsmith who specializes in finishing wood however I want? It would be cool to get a standard 94/22 but somehow make the wood nicer. I know I can't change the grain, but maybe I can change the finish, kind of like Turnbull does? Turnbull is too much though on a 94/22... I'm already doing that to 1886 but thats a much more worthy gun of that kind of finish. For the 22 I'd rather just have it be a more lowkey improvement of finish. OR....... maybe thats really hard with how the 94/22 finish comes from the factory, if its coated or something?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You certainly can't go wrong there. One advantage to choosing a '94 is there are aftermarket stocks available in many choices. Most of the time they are "semi inletted" and will need final fitment. You could probably upgrade your wood, order it without checkering, and keep the original wood in your safe. Might not cost you anymore when finished and you would have more of a selection of rifles and 22 chamberings to pick from initially. Here's one source:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Trying to find another one I had heard about years ago.

-Tutt

Found it:

http://www.treebonecarving.com/

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Not a lever action, but the Winchester Model 61 I bought with my paper route money when I was a kid. Here is a picture of my grandson learning to shoot it when he was a kid - he is now about to graduate college and the rifle still is a winner.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I m kind of fond of this one as well my Zephyr 2 fullstock
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Tallboy, I heard back from Boyd's Gunstocks. She sent me the following links for you to check out. They have everything you need from standard walnut to fancy grades and best of all, they are fully inletted for either pre or post 1964. -Tutt

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product- ... 00594i15zz

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product- ... 00594h15zz

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice bolt gun BB! -Tutt

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A few years ago when Numrich Arms would sent stuff to the UK I had a 9422M with a cracked stock, Numrich were selling Winchester Stocks slightly damaged, the ad said dented or scratched but they were CHEAP so I ordered one and it didn't have a dent or scratch or any other blemish when I got it... :D
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... 81#p489281
Link to photo of both stocks.
Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:34 pm Tallboy, I heard back from Boyd's Gunstocks. She sent me the following links for you to check out. They have everything you need from standard walnut to fancy grades and best of all, they are fully inletted for either pre or post 1964. -Tutt

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product- ... 00594i15zz

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product- ... 00594h15zz
Awesome, thanks! However I was hoping for a straight stock. Thanks for getting those for me too
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

They probably have that too, she said to call them if you want more information. -Tutt

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

There’s always the Taurus Model 62LA or LAR. Nancy has a blued one. Very accurate and light action. Maybe one year of production.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes indeed, what they said.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

J Miller wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:35 am
Yes indeed, what they said.

Joe
Hey Joe mine still wears the Saddle Ring/takedown screw I bought from you... :D