Shotguns for Home Defense

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Shotguns for Home Defense

Post by AJMD429 »

('Medical' analysis...)

https://youtu.be/ZwAvOkTFYLo

I always thought that anyone hit by a shotgun, regardless of ammo, would pretty much be DRT.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shotguns for Home Defense

Post by Tycer »

Thanks! That’s good stuff. His Kentucky Ballistics near death experience was a good watch too!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Too much TV Doc. Not enough real world experience. It’s amazing what damage some folks can take and continue to function. For others a splinter requires an ER visit. Most of us are somewhere in between.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lots of good information there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

12 ga, when you care to send the best.

I knew a guy that took a 180gr 44 mag in his chest from an irate wife at contact distance. He was later told by the doctors he shouldn't have survived the GSW. The only lasting effects was from the botched trachyotomia( did I spell that right Doc?) . Granted this guy was strong as a bull, tough as nails too! The soon to be EX went directly to jail, did not pass GO.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

One of the cops I worked with took a .22LR to the belly, it bounced all over his chest cavity and exited near his collar bone. You shouldve seen the xray....you could see with tracks it left. No permanent damage
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My late uncle retired from the Akron, Ohio Police force. He spent 40+ years on the force and was what I would call a pretty worldly guy. I asked him one time what the was the worst wound he saw in his career. He said far and away, the worst wounds were inflicted by a 12 gauge shotgun and OO or 000 Buckshot. As a guy who was seeing wounds, perhaps nightly, I gave that a lot creedence. So, I have a 10 gauge sawed off double with 00 buckshot. Why the 10? Each shell has 18 pellets, double the 9 in the 12 gauge his police department packed.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've seen a lot of GSWs on the street and more on video.

I have a 12 ga under my bed loaded with OO buck.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

While I don't doubt anyone, especially those with experience, I just ain't a shotgun guy. Its probably the other side of the same coin. Instead of watching movies where it's basically a hand held 105mm, I've seen too many partridge take a good hit (I realize it's bird shot) and get up and fly off. I will usually try and get around using a shotgun any time I can. Just not a fan. I've lost, and seen lost, more game with them than anything.
I still keep a 45acp on the nightstand. And starting a couple years ago, a short barreled carbine in the closet beside the bed.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I rather search an odd noise with a handgun. I much rather have my 870 draped over the bed if I’m waiting for that noise to come to me. 33 cal shot at feet cannot is not comparable to 6 shot at 30 yards. I don’t like to hunt with buckshot though. I almost always would rather have a rifle except in a few special circumstances
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I would not hunt with buckshot either. But there is no range inside my house that is too far to reach with 00 blue whistlers!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah if I'm moving and inside, I think I'd always prefer a regular full-size handgun like a 1911 or similar-sized 9mm; maybe a 300 Blk SBR at the biggest. More maneuverable than a shotgun and more rounds available if I miss or there are several predators.

If I'm "dug-in" inside then I think the more cumbersome shotgun would be fine, because at 1 to 7 yards I can't imagine a single midsternal hit failing to be an instant stop.

Outside of I'm in danger, aside frome becoming 'inside' ASAP, I would prefer a rifle.

But the huge chunk of tissue destroyed, if not removed, by a buckshot load at close quarters, is just downright frightening.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:34 pm .
Yeah if I'm moving and inside, I think I'd always prefer a regular full-size handgun like a 1911 or similar-sized 9mm; maybe a 300 Blk SBR at the biggest. More maneuverable than a shotgun and more rounds available if I miss or there are several predators.

If I'm "dug-in" inside then I think the more cumbersome shotgun would be fine, because at 1 to 7 yards I can't imagine a single midsternal hit failing to be an instant stop.

Outside of I'm in danger, aside frome becoming 'inside' ASAP, I would prefer a rifle.

But the huge chunk of tissue destroyed, if not removed, by a buckshot load at close quarters, is just downright frightening.
Doc, when I was a teen just getting interested in guns I asked my grandfather about the effect of shotguns. I was under the impression buckshot spread out immediately after leaving the barrel. He had used shotguns in the trenches and said a load of buckshot at room ranges will punch a big ragged hole through someone. He also said a load of No.4 birdshot will blow a hogs head apart at close range. I never tested the former, but did prove the latter in later years. I hunted quite a bit with buckshot over the years, 3" load of 15 pellet 00 buck was my favorite for hogs up to 40 yards
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Shotguns work! Though I have seen people who don't practice regularly miss a man-size silhouette at 20 feet.

Heck Thomas and the Marshall's with him believed in and trusted the shotgun. This is Bill Doolin's death photo after engaging in a short resistance with them. A load of 10 gauge Blue Whistlers settled the question of whether he would give up or not.
45708.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.