Red dot on 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gdof15
Levergunner

Red dot on 1895

Post by gdof15 »

Bought the gun in 2017, put a scope on it and kept it that way. Sorry--I am goof, because I can not recall if I ever sighted it in prior to scope (it has the "OEM" ghost ring and picatinny rail). I purchased an Aimpoint Micro H2 red dot. Would like to co-witness (lower third I assume).

Just set the H2 red dot on the rail and it looks like the rear sight is way too low to co-witness, front sight just fine in lower third.

As I said, let's assume iron sights never used, so I can raise the rear and realize I need to sight-in the irons before mounting the red dot anyway.

Then mount red dot and see what I have.

Or--I am asking the lever gun, particularly the 1895 experts, how should I proceed? Sorry for the ignorance, i am new to the red dot/co-witness thing.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Red dot on 1895

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire :D sorry I can't help I only use irons.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome.
Yes, I would zero your irons first.
Your Aimpoint will not co-witness because the sights are set to be more inline with the comb of the stock. The 1895 is not a zero drop, straight line rifle like an AR15. You would need very tall irons to be inline with your Aimpoint. The Aimpoints are designed for a straight line rifle setup.
Once your irons are zero, mount your Aimpoint to the rail. If it is new, it will be at mechanical zero. You can either try a shot at close distance and see where it is, or use a bore sight to get you close. Red dots can be tricky with a bore sight (at least I can't seem to get them as close as a scope or irons).
Best of luck.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

or you can take the bolt out and sight in the red dot that way. i do that on the AR, sighting through the bore. line up the barrel to a small dot somewhere, a buoy out in the bay works for me, and the dot should be on it. then bring the iron sights in line. will work on any firearm with an open breech
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If there is a way to have both sights on the gun at the same time, even if they won't co-witness, all you have to do is get one set sighted in, put the gun on a rest and adjust the other sites to aim at the same place the first sights aim.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tried to co witness years ago. As mentioned it won’t work. So I sighted the ghost ring (found mounting it backwards worked bet with the C-More holo sight I installed.

I now have a scope but change back and forth. Yea, I know I should re-sight but honestly they are amazingly close when I put one or the other back on.
[img] https://imgur.com/a/KDfpW [img]
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gdof15
Levergunner

Post by gdof15 »

Thanks for good info and recommendations. I did have a discussion with Aimpoint folks before I bought and they assured me it would co-witness. Great reputation for building a very rugged and good sight, but given that it won't co-witness, perhaps I should return and get a less expensive (but still rugged/high quality) sight? Any recommendations?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My 1895 Winchester has a receiver sight and it works well:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I think there's some confusion here.

Are we talking about a Marlin 1895 or Winchester 1895?

If it's a Marlin, skip the dopey dot sight, get an XS scout mount and a good IER scope and be done with it. If you are considering putting that thing on a Winchester '95, cease and desist with your intended crimes against a defenseless classic and be gone with you! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gdof15
Levergunner

Post by gdof15 »

Marlin 1895 SBL. Sorry for leaving that detail off.

Red dots aren't dopey, 2ndovc, that may be your legit opin or attitude, but doesn't really help in answering the last question:

"perhaps I should return and get a less expensive (but still rugged/high quality) sight? Any recommendations?"

If someone doesn't like red dots or refuses to own/use one, simply don't reply. I have plenty of other firearms with iron, long range, and short/scout scopes.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

How about "Bite Me"?

That work for you?

If you can't accept a little humor, especially when not being specific as to your questions then I will leave it at that.

Have a nice day!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:22 pm How about "Bite Me"?

That work for you?

If you can't accept a little humor, especially when not being specific as to your questions then I will leave it at that.

Have a nice day!
:lol: :lol: Perfect.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

That work for you?

Have a nice day!
:D

Made me :lol:

I'd hate to put a red dot on my Winchester 1895 (I bought off you) for sure.
I had a IER scope on my Marlin 1895 (I bought off Blaine) but I never could get the eye relief set to suit me. Finally took it off and resorted to the AO sights.
Might try the scope again with my 444 Marlin.
Red dots have too much parallax for me.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are guns for lookin' at, guns for fondling, guns to hang above the mantle, and guns for shootin'...

If it's a gun for shootin', and you want to hit what you're aiming at, you have to have sites that work for your eyes.

Some would argue that if your vision isn't good due to aging eyes, you should get 'modern guns' for shooting, and put whatever you need on them, but leave the 'classics' on the fireplace model once you get old enough you can't see well enough to shoot or hunt with them. I think that's a real shame.

I know we all like the rib each other about stuff, and I don't think any of us would actually deface a true 'collectible' firearm by putting any extra holes in it or whatever, but if you can attach a sight that works for you to ANY gun without damaging it, I say go for it.

I have found that I can get excellent groups even in low light conditions with aperture sights if I make sure the aperture is large enough. I may use a small aperture for sighting in when there's good light off a bench, but I will enlarge the aperture or use a 'ghost ring' shut up for actual field use.

If I want precision and repeatable adjustments, I have had good luck with the Williams FP sights, removing the aperture once sighted in.

I can get nearly the same precision with a much better field of view using the Marbles "Bullseye" sights. The only problem with them, is that like most factory barrel mounted sites, they are 'drift adjustable' when it comes to windage, which is not a big deal since I don't do long range target competition, but it does require more patience to sight them in. If you want to talk 'tactical' or 'combat', the Marbles Bullseye sights are awesome because the field of view is better than ANY iron sight in existence, and they are the fastest site imaginable, yet offer precision if you take just a half second extra to use the finer sighting ring.

But sometimes more is needed. If you need magnification, you have to go with some sort of optic. If appearance is important you can use 'vintage' optics, but you won't get nearly as good a performance if hunting in dim light or shaded woods.

If you just want great field of view and something that works for older eyes, but don't need magnification, the various Holographic and Red Dot sights work very well. They are getting smaller and smaller, so even if they look anachronistic, the impact is not as visually shocking. Plus, most of them mount easily with a variety of mounts that won't require any permanent alteration to the firearm.

I have had great luck with the Burris Fastfire 2 series. They are compact and lightweight and seem to be extremely durable, Plus have an automatically adjusting dot intensity which even works at night if you need to use your firearm for home or livestock protection using a flashlight.

I have posted on threads about the various aperture site options and red dot options and what I called my "Night Scout" lever action guns resulting from those experiments. I would assert that the results of my experimentations are not what I consider 'tactical', but rather 'practical'.

Aperture Sights - viewtopic.php?p=390174#p390174

'Night Scout' Leverguns - viewtopic.php?p=583183#p583183

Holographic and Dot Sights (older thread) - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28788

Seeing a red dot sight on a vintage manufactured lever gun is sort of like seeing mag wheels on a Model-T, but like I said, if you actually want to shoot a gun, you have to be able to have sights that work for you, so don't let anybody give you a hard time. ( other than the inevitable ribbing that we will all give you no matter what you do :wink: ).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

HEY!! What's the matter with magnesium wheels ? Huh?
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

That work for you?

Have a nice day!
Really. Tell us again how dopey red dot sights are, while making it funny and unoffensive. Go on, do it again in an actually funny way.

This is why I don't join clubs. There's always someone making new people feel unwelcome.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ok,

How about just a plain old; Bite Me?

Have a nice day!

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:28 pm HEY!! What's the matter with magnesium wheels ? Huh?
Nothing -- those, along with old Volkswagon engine blocks are wonderful for a bonfire :roll: :lol: (JK )
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:19 pm .

If you want to talk 'tactical' or 'combat', the Marbles Bullseye sights are awesome because the field of view is better than ANY iron sight in existence, and they are the fastest site imaginable, yet offer precision if you take just a half second extra to use the finer sighting ring.

That IS something cool i did that was levergun related somewhat recently -- installed a bullseye sight on my trusty SRC. Its great ! I got supremely lucky and had it installed dead on from the jump without having to drift it any , -- but i like this sight!

That said -- the subject gun being a Marlin that already has a rail, -- to me, thats a modern gun all the way and an Aimpoint is entirely in keeping with it --

OP , honestly i wouldnt worry about co-witnessing the sights, - i would probably mount the red dot just high enough that i dont see the front sight blade through it even -- but yes i would definitely make sure the irons are zeroed too, -- Aimpoints are combat tested and proven for sure, but if anyone is going to have a .00001% failure , its me and with zeroed irons you can at least continue your hunt
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:28 pm
Grizz wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:28 pm HEY!! What's the matter with magnesium wheels ? Huh?
Nothing -- those, along with old Volkswagon engine blocks are wonderful for a bonfire :roll: :lol: (JK )
AND my BIL's chainsaw down on the beach.