New Ruger looks like fun!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

New Ruger looks like fun!

Post by 2ndovc »

I shot an FN PS90 a while back and have been wanting one but it seems like there's always something else getting in the way. Ruger just announced a little 5.7x28 carbine that uses the same grip and magazines as their Five Seven pistol.

The recoil in the FN was no more than a .22 Magnum and have read that, ballistically it's quite similar as well. From what I've read about the origins of the cartridge and carbine is that it was intended for embassy staff that may find themselves in need of a easy to handle carbine that was capable of putting a lot of projectiles in the air, very quickly. The PS90 fits that role quite well with it's 50 round magazines.

Anyway, it looks like fun, and a cheaper option to see if the 5.7 has any uses other than wild indians attacking the fort. :D
https://ruger.com/products/lcCarbine/sp ... 19300.html

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Ruger looks like fun!

Post by 4t5 »

I'm more in line with a mini thirty in 300 blk out.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think the 5.7 would make a great groundhog gun! Heck even pasture poodles. Low recoil, not a lot of powder, whats not to like?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

4t5 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:44 pm I'm more in line with a mini thirty in 300 blk out.
Totally different animal.

The Minis have been the only Rugers I've been consistently disappointed with. I've had them all and spent a lot of money on Mini Thirty that couldn't through a single magazine without a failure. I know there has to be some out there that work, but the only one I've personally seen work reliably is my dad's early '80's .223 Rem.

Just looks like fun to me and a light, simple carbine just about anyone in the house could use.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mini 30s are lousy as far as accuracy. The reliability has depended entirely on the magazine in my experience with them. Some 30 round magazines I have used are all 30 rounds no trouble, and some are jamming like a garage band on speed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

piller wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:00 pm and some are jamming like a garage band on speed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Even at that price point, it will probably cut into KelTec's Sub-2000 sales.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good point Bill.

I found one at $830, but my dealer is having a difficult time getting his FFL to them. We'll see. It's not like i needed a new caliber to obsess over.

I have one of the new model Ruger PC9s. It's a nice little carbine that is filling the House Gun role just fine, but it's a bit on the weighty side for Bubbles. Works perfectly with every type of 9mm I've run through it. It's as reliable and accurate as my MPX at half the cost.

jb 8)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:42 am Good point Bill.

I found one at $830, but my dealer is having a difficult time getting his FFL to them. We'll see. It's not like i needed a new caliber to obsess over.

I have one of the new model Ruger PC9s. It's a nice little carbine that is filling the House Gun role just fine, but it's a bit on the weighty side for Bubbles. Works perfectly with every type of 9mm I've run through it. It's as reliable and accurate as my MPX at half the cost.

jb 8)

I had one of the original versions back in 1996 when they first came out (PC 9 that is). Oddly enough I kick myself for selling it but at the time couldn’t think of a compelling reason to keep it either

I want one of the new takedown versions. Would prefer the 40 chambering, but it’s once again me wondering what role it would play
Kind of like you with your MPX, I have one of the PTR nine’s and it is extremely reliable and accurate so far, but I would have to SBR it to get it has compact as the Rugsr take down
----- Doug
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It looks like a fun cartridge and rifle but not so good for reloading upon further research. It turns out FN had to put a lacquer coating on the cases to make them feed and cycle reliably and you have to be careful not to strip this coating off while cleaning (no tumbling). Once fired brass is all that is available and case life is not very good unless you download it some and what is the point of the cartridge if doing that? If you don't mind always buying loaded ammunition then none of this matters.

https://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17011

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel