Did someone say "leverguns"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Did someone say "leverguns"?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had this print from a glass plate negative in the collections of the Southern Oregon Historical Society for 30 or more years, and always wonder how the lives of these three unknown young men turned out. The studio in which the photo was taken is unknown, as is the date, but if that is a Model 1881 Marlin in the hands of the chap on the left, then it would be 1881 or later. Pretty sure the other two rifles are Winchester Model 1876s. If in fact this image was made somewhere in Southern Oregon or Northern California, grizzly bears were still a serious menace to miners and stockmen at that time. The extra punch from one of the Winchester cartridges for the 76 -- or for that Marlin -- would have been very useful.
I also wonder how long they stayed in pose for their dogs to fall asleep! Laudanum dog biscuits?? :lol:

Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Did someone say "leverguns"?

Post by jnyork »

Great shot, sure would be nice to be able to trace those guys.

Did you ever notice, looking at photos from the earliest days of photograph until about the end of WW1, the subjects are almost never smiling. In those days, having your portrait (photo) taken was serious business indeed, smiling would have revealed you to be frivolous and silly, not very smart. Also, most people back in that era had absolutely awful, ugly teeth if they had them at all. Certainly nothing to be showing off. :(
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Imagine when walking, doing chores, hunting small game, or fishing, would subject one to potentially lethal attack with no way to defend against bear or mountain lion. These days there still is risk certainly, but before the Civil War there isn't any portable weapon I'd want to rely on against several hundred pounds of fangs and claws.

These days there are plenty of handguns that are way more suitable for bear-defense than most of the long guns around before the lever-actions.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:29 pm .
Imagine when walking, doing chores, hunting small game, or fishing, would subject one to potentially lethal attack with no way to defend against bear or mountain lion. These days there still is risk certainly, but before the Civil War there isn't any portable weapon I'd want to rely on against several hundred pounds of fangs and claws.

These days there are plenty of handguns that are way more suitable for bear-defense than most of the long guns around before the lever-actions.
A double barrel 10 gauge with at least one barrel loaded for Bear would be my choice before repeating rifles came about.
Nice quality photo, always interesting to see how folks were armed in those days.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

jnyork wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:24 pm Great shot, sure would be nice to be able to trace those guys.

Did you ever notice, looking at photos from the earliest days of photograph until about the end of WW1, the subjects are almost never smiling. In those days, having your portrait (photo) taken was serious business indeed, smiling would have revealed you to be frivolous and silly, not very smart. Also, most people back in that era had absolutely awful, ugly teeth if they had them at all. Certainly nothing to be showing off. :(
Well, maybe. But the main thing was the looonnnggg exposure times. You had to stay absolutely still for a prolonged period or you'd get a blurry photo. Ever tried to hold a smile, absolutely still, for a full minute? Almost hurts! It wouldn't surprise me if, carefully concealed, there aren't braces holding their heads still, as was often the case.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Great clear photo, thanks!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

if i had to choose between one 10ga round and a spear i would prefer the spear. it was high sport in germany to hunt bears with spears, and a lion kill with a spear was the passage to manhood in some of Africa. . . anyone here hunt with spear?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Grizz wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:31 pm if i had to choose between one 10ga round and a spear i would prefer the spear. it was high sport in germany to hunt bears with spears, and a lion kill with a spear was the passage to manhood in some of Africa. . . anyone here hunt with spear?
No they're all dead...... :cry:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

et by bears!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

you guys crack me up, thanks for the laughs :lol:

ps: i'm willing to bet far more game has fallen to spears and arrows than to bullets.... you know, if you follow the evidence going back 50,000+ years.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That rifle in the middle might just be a 73, not a 76.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never hunted with a spear. Please don't let me stop you if that is what you want to do.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I recall some utube vids of spear hunting but it was using a heavy spear and dropping straight down from a tree. Quite lethal actually. Several vids on wild boars and a few on bears. Don't think I would try to throw the thing as it was the weight that did the killing.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Leverluver wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:06 pm I recall some utube vids of spear hunting but it was using a heavy spear and dropping straight down from a tree. Quite lethal actually. Several vids on wild boars and a few on bears. Don't think I would try to throw the thing as it was the weight that did the killing.
yeah, that was a good video. i would not hurl a spear or atlatl dart unless i had my spear at hand. i rehafted my spear with a short stick so it's more like the one in Africa that was the Tommy killer . . . when i get some forge time i'm going to make a spear set that covers several scenarios. part i like best about forging them is the socket tang...
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

If you like spears, do a little research on SASHA SIEMEL, a fellow in the early 1900's that hunted dangerous game with the spear, similar to HOWARD HILL but used a spear.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

4t5 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:01 pm If you like spears, do a little research on SASHA SIEMEL, a fellow in the early 1900's that hunted dangerous game with the spear, similar to HOWARD HILL but used a spear.
THANKS. great photos in the search. I think I will start with the squirrels out back and see how that goes. LOL
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If you want to up your spear game, one word: atlatl.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:41 am If you want to up your spear game, one word: atlatl.
A recognized "Alternative Method" for hunting in the state of Missouri.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am
Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:41 am If you want to up your spear game, one word: atlatl.
A recognized "Alternative Method" for hunting in the state of Missouri.
I've seen great video demonstrations. Makes me ask, "which came first" , the atlatl or the bow . . .

any guesses?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The atlatl, by about 8,000 to 10,000 years by some estimates. The Aztecs still used the atlatl in the 1500s when Cortez invaded. The word comes from the Nahuatl language.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:12 am The atlatl, by about 8,000 to 10,000 years by some estimates. The Aztecs still used the atlatl in the 1500s when Cortez invaded. The word comes from the Nahuatl language.
For sure. In my region it is accepted the the bow didnt show up till around 800 AD. A modern invention.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

interweb says atlatl was used on every continent EXCEPT Africa and Antarctica, with different names presumably.
https://www.archeryaim.com/when-did-hum ... nd-arrows/
When Did Humans Start Using Bows and Arrows?
June 20, 2022 by Partha Jain

The earliest remains of bow and arrow usage can be found in Europe, though there are possible fragments that were found in Germany dated 17,500 to 18,000 years old. However, archaeologists believe hunters have been using bows and arrows as early as 50,000 years ago.

Did early humans have bow and arrows?

Early humans used bows and arrows to hunt in tropical rainforests 48,000 years ago, study says – CNN.
How long have humans used bow and arrows?

The bow and arrow is an ancient weapon—going back at least 71,000 years, a study published in Nature suggests.
When did humans develop bows?

Early man first started using tools to manufacture other tools around 2.5 million years ago, scientists say. But the bow was not first used until 64,000 years ago, when its invention greatly increased the flexibility of their activities.