Revolver v. 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Revolver v. 1911

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm getting ready for the GAS match at Gunsite ("Gunsite Alumni Shoot") in early October. Getting ready means a lot of walking and stretching and a little shooting.

The match is always fun becasue there are lots of shooters and the staff at Gunsite puts together interesting problems for you to solve.

I always use a carry gun, though you will see folks using all manner of pistols (mostly pistols). If I come in in the top half, I am pretty happy.

Last time I shot this was with an Officer's Model size 1911. (I learned that I did not care for the shortened grip frame as I pinched my little finger almost every fast magazine change!).

But I always respected the guys who shot this with a big bore revolver (Last time I saw only one competitor shooting a revolver)and I am seriously thinking about using my Smith Mountain Gun in .45 ACP. So, I may be doing revolver drills over the next month or so to see if I can still pull it off.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Revolver v. 1911

Post by Tycer »

Excellent challenge! Looking forward to hearing how both your training and the gathering go.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds like FUN, no matter what you wind up shooting...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've tried an Officers 1911 twice. Nope. I just dont shoot them well. As much as I love the 1911, the Commander is as small as I go.
I would definitely use a revolver over an Officers. I doubt my ability to be on par with a standard 1911. I could shoot as well, but reloads would kill me.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I had an Officer's ACP several years ago. Nice pistol, but I didn't shoot it well. Sold it and bought a Commander. Much better.

When I used to compete in the area IDPA matches, there was a kid with Smith 686 that had been modified for mood clips. He won match after match with that revolver. I was always impressed with his shooting. Nice kid too.
Strangely enough, of all the pistols I shot those matches with, I placed much higher and even won a few with my G19. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

A revolver would be a lot of fun. I did a couple cqb courses using my S&W 627. It was exciting but that frame heats up fast
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Two years ago I injured my back right before the shoot. I was doing single draws and hits on a plate at 25 yards, just doing the basics. I was bending over picking up my brass and suddenly could not stand up! I crawled to the Jeep and drove home in agony.

A few days later I was in Arizona trying to stand up shoot straight. I wasn't as fast as I used to be, but I was well over half of the shooters and I was in good company.

I don't know that my scores would be adversely affected by shooting a revolver, particularly one like this. But the easy way to go is to take my old Government Model.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like the Commander and Officer size 1911’s. When I get too old to carry my full size 1911’s. I’ll switch to one of those. At 69 I haven’t hit that point yet. I will admit to not carrying my Para 1911. It’s not the weight, I just don’t like the feel of those fatter ones.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:35 am Excellent challenge! Looking forward to hearing how both your training and the gathering go.
Ditto. Sounds cool! 8)
Sambadd
Levergunner

Post by Sambadd »

I suffered a stroke a few years back, that destroyed strength in my fingers/hands, so I gave the Springfield stainless 1911 .45 ACP to my son. He could work the slide fine... I could not. I began using a little .38 spl S&W with a 2" bbl, but was not at all happy with results on knock down steel. I reverted to my Cowboy Action 'hideout' Uberti. A 3.5 inch bbl Sheriff's model with bird's head grip in .45 LC that I had actually carried on a Security job for several years, long ago. The pistol the Burns company provided was an old Taurus .38 with a broken firing pin on the hammer. I noticed that defect, and in exchange for keeping silent, was allowed to carry my own weapon. This Uberti was it.

This is the rig. I still use it for concealed, under a long leather vest.
Modern Carry 03.jpg
My wife asked why I was taking photos of the firearms, and provided a better memory than my broken one. She says I actually carried a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 LC on the job with Burns, and sold it to make a house payment after I quit that job to take up running a Boy Scout Troop! I bought the Uberti .45 for Cowboy Action much later, but did carry it with another Security company, after retiring from the factory. The rig shown is what I used for that second job, and still use today. Sorry for my confusion, and thanks to my wife!

-Sam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sambadd on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When seconds matter, the police are just minutes way!"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks real good. i like the shell carrier setup.

i bet it's fun with cans and stuff like that. :lol:
Sambadd
Levergunner

Post by Sambadd »

Grizz wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 pm that looks real good. i like the shell carrier setup.

i bet it's fun with cans and stuff like that. :lol:
With the cost of that Hornady .45 LC ammo, which I also use in my lever gun, I have to be focused on training, so not much 'fun' stuff anymore. Limited income and inflation keeping me a less frequent visitor at the range the last couple of years. CAS low recoil lead is cheaper, but shoots to a totally different place with all the .45 weapons!

-Sam
"When seconds matter, the police are just minutes way!"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Blackhawk is slow to load, but it is super accurate with the .45 ACP cylinder. The .45 Colt cylinder is plenty accurate, and I keep some 325 grain 1050 fps loads handy for it. If I ever bump into a S&W 625 in good shape, I will probably rip my pocket getting my wallet out. I like the idea of carrying 1911 magazines for reloads for a .45 ACP revolver.
The .45 ACP out of a medium revolver is probably fast enough to use and accurate enough for all interpersonal crises that I am likely to ever be involved with. I have seen a few different handguns shooting that caliber, and my conclusion is that it is an accurate caliber. I have seen people who are just not accurate with a handgun, and too many of them blame the gun.
To close my rambling, Scott, go ahead and use your .45 ACP revolver. You will enjoy it, and the practice time will be useful no matter what.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jeepnik wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:51 pm I like the Commander and Officer size 1911’s. When I get too old to carry my full size 1911’s. I’ll switch to one of those. At 69 I haven’t hit that point yet. I will admit to not carrying my Para 1911. It’s not the weight, I just don’t like the feel of those fatter ones.
I understand. I even like the thinner grips on my 1911 pistols.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've never competed with both revolver & a 1911 in the same type competition, but... in CA our department used a PPC type of qualification course. And we had to qualify with any gun we carried on duty. Since I was in the Administrative Division, (doing background checks on new applicants), I carried a various times either a mdl 19 S&W, a mdl 10 S&W, a mdl 65 S&W or a Combat Commander in 45 ACP. My qualification scores with the revolver were always the max 300 points with X counts in the mid to high 30s. The 1911 scores were always 5-7 points below max with X counts in the low 30s. I have a feeling the difference was in the sights... the CC carried the Colt factory sights back then, which weren't quite as precise or as easily picked up as the S&W sights. All the ammo was a combination of new commercial or reloads, departmental issue, although the reloads nearly as dirty as BP... all of it reloaded by trustees, which still makes me nervous thinking about it! (Although I never heard of a squib or over-charged incident).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I shot defensive pistol matches at our gun club years ago using my S&W 25 in .45 Colt. The match rules allowed more time for revolvers over semiauto handguns due to longer reloading times. I had purchased some flexible soft plastic devices locally that held 3 rounds in a shape to match cylinder spacing. They made reloads quicker than fumbling with 6 round speedloaders, so I got fairly proficient at loading.
I won the first match I attended and my buddy got 2nd place with his identical Model 25. We alternated winning 1-2 for several matches, until the semiauto guys began to complain that we had too much time advantage, so it was decided to cut time off the revolvers. We continued to win, so soon they cut more time off, and we then rarely came in 1-2. We eventually stopped shooting the matches as it got to a point that we couldn't compete with a revolver within the time constraints.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

About the same size:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would use my 3 inch smith and wesson 44 magnum, because that is my primary carry gun.