INCIDENT AT THE CHURCH

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

INCIDENT AT THE CHURCH

Post by JimT »

Our Church was located in a small mining town in the mountains of Arizona. The property was on the extreme edge of the community bordering National forest lands. Our property was adjoining the Church property, just down the hill. We had our share of prowlers and vandals over the years and when late one night I was awakened by voices and loud music from the Church parking lot I grabbed a gun and went to investigate.

As I came onto the parking lot I saw a pickup parked near one edge, with the driver's door open and a young man standing at the rear of the truck, urinating on the Church grounds. This bothered me somewhat, and hiding the Colt .45 behind me in my right hand I approached the individual - after he had finished relieving himself. My initial approach was on the order of, "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Without giving him much time to answer I began to tell him what I thought of someone who would urinate on Church grounds, who would wake a man and his family up late at night with loud music, and who obviously had no thought for anyone else beside himself. All the time I kept the handgun out of sight and watched the truck to make sure no one came out to join in.

The young man began to argue with me about how it was his right to party where ever he wanted to, whenever he felt he wanted to and as things began to heat up a bit the thought went through my mind that this might escalate into something serious. All the time I watched the truck to make sure none of his companions got out to join in. I also kept the gun out of sight. Then, when it was looking like it may go bad, the young man changed his attitude. He began to apologize, saying he was sorry for his actions and it would not happen again. Then he turned quietly, got into his truck and drove off without gunning the engine or spinning the tires.

I thought to myself, "Well, I backed him down without having to pull the pistol" and turned around feeling relieved and kind of proud of myself. There stood my wife with an 18 1/2" double-barreled 12 gauge shotgun at port arms! It was no wonder he backed off and the other guys did not get out of the truck - but it sure wasn't me they were afraid of

(After I told John Taffin about the incident he sent me a bumper sticker which read "Never Mind The Dog- Beware of My Wife!")

I probably have posted this in the past, but reading it again today I decided maybe someone out there had not read it. For the record, this happened back in the 1980's in the town of Oracle, Arizona.
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Re: INCIDENT AT THE CHURCH

Post by joepb »

Don't corner something that is meaner than you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had one of those wive's also... Kind, sweet and loving as all get out, but meaner'n a junkyard dog when riled!

My shift ended at 2am, and it was easily 35 or so minutes after that before I could begin my trip home, about 30 minutes away at that time in the morning. Our departmental policy didn't allow us to wear our uniform in our POV, but most guys just took off the uniform shirt for the drive home. I had a routine when I arrived home. Since my wife would be fast asleep, I'd sort've sneak in and without turning on any lights where they'd shine under the bedroom door, I'd head to the den & turn on the old tube-type TV and drop off my gear, then head for the kitchen while the TV warmed up, making a sandwich and grab a bottle of bear to sit and watch one of the old westerns usually shown this time of morning. We had a small sofa and a recliner in the den, both hand-me-downs from our folks. After I plated my sandwich and grabbed the beer, I headed for the den, now light up from the TV.

And found my wife sitting in the recliner wrapped up in her robe and my 870 pump across her lap! My life flashed before my eyes, and I couldn't think of a single reason for her to brace me in such a fashion. She explained the situation and what i could do to ease up the tension... she wanted me to transfer to day shift! And maybe more importantly, finish the fence! Seems that just as she was getting out of the shower she heard someone trying to get the bedroom window open. She went to the closet grabbed up the shotgun and loaded five rounds in the mag, and as she approached the window racked a round in the chamber. The next sound she described hearing were foot beats hastily departing our unfenced back yard! She was still wound tighter'n a drum some 6-½ hours after her scare! Needless to say, I finished the fence over the course of the next few days! As an unpaid volunteer I could only work nights. I think the only reason she didn't shoot first and ask questions later, was because she knew we couldn't afford to replace the window!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Punks like that understand only one thing and sad that it almost always involves a gun of some kind. we have one next-door who is so far gone that it's totally nuts. He thinks nothing of revving engines,loud mufflers ,slamming car doors all night. shooting out the windows of the house into the woods. no job for the last three years . I have no compassion for Him anymore. I carry any time I'm outside . when there is big trouble the Sherriff brings three cars. one Ex policeman I know said the best thing would be if He would O.D. He has been offered help by many people and wants none of it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When I came home one day and my wife and her best friend were in the barn canning tomatos on the gas stove we had out there, and they each had a 223 slung on the wall nearby (one a Mini-14, and the other an AR-15), I knew something was up. They hadn't shot me when I pulled up, so I hoped I was not on their list. Turns out there were some dopers roaming around in the woods earlier.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Some ladies are raised to be able to defend themselves and their family. Nothing at all wrong with that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I need a bumper sticker that says “don’t mess with the mommy”

Years ago when my eldest was in his stroller a guy made a grab for him. Two results. One he suffered immediate and severe testicular pain. Second she has carried every day since.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sambadd
Levergunner

Post by Sambadd »

My wife of 55 years watched as I cleaned a recently purchased Colt Mustang .380 stainless back in the 80's. Looked like somebody washed a 1911 A1 .45 ACP in hot water and drawed it up some! Used, but very gently, and like new. When I went to put it back together, she did it for me, and didn't fumble. "Be free little pistol, come with me!", she said with a sweet smile. It's been her bedside, center console, and purse weapon ever since.

Still, the night she was home alone with two small kids, while I worked third shift, she picked the 20"double bbl 12 gauge, with mule ear hammers, to terrify the two guys and a gal who "needed to use the phone, because their car was broke down" out front. Told them to walk the six blocks to either the police station, or the five blocks to the Four Star gas station to use their phones, and everybody would survive the night! Funny thing was, their car started right up and drove away just fine!

You don't mess with a redheaded, green eyed, freckled faced, Irish/Cherokee gal. Next time I get married, I'm gonna arm wrestle her first, no matter how tiny she appears!

-Sam
"When seconds matter, the police are just minutes way!"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sambadd
Levergunner

Post by Sambadd »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If yer gonna laugh at my sad tales, I'm not gonna share anymore redheaded terrorist stories! :o

*Grin*
"When seconds matter, the police are just minutes way!"
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

We lived on the edge of a subdivision with a sheep pasture out back, across the chain link fence around the development. Then the pasture got sold, and 4-plexes went in, and soon dope deals started going down in the backyards of the 4-plexes. I got a friend to deliver me a couple of big fir rounds and set up a knife/tomahawk practice target. My wife is really good at knife & hawk, from our years of blackpowder events; I saw the neighbor kids (kids?) watching VERY attentively, and then they took their dope deals elsewhere. I think they guessed the missus wasn't someone to tick off.
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".