I'm about to go for it - BLR barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BeeKay
Levergunner

I'm about to go for it - BLR barrel

Post by BeeKay »

I bought a Stainless.308 BLR Takedown Model several years ago - and just like a lot of others, I started trying to look into getting a different caliber barrel so the gun could have a bit more versatility and just because it's neat...
Only to discover that there are a lot of hurdles and they make it difficult to have one rifle with 2 barrels, for whatever reason... You definitely can't go out and just order one.
But I'm going to make my own auxiliary barrel in .358 Win.
Anyone who's ever contemplated this and pursued trying to find info knows exactly what the hurdles are, and I found a barrel that I can remove the lugged 'extension' from and I'm going to thread a .358 Winchester AR-10 barrel, to fit my BLR .
So anyhow, I have the pieces and I'm about to begin the machining, unless someone wants to send me a .358 Win barrel for a BLR Takedown that's already made.

Might be a few weeks ore a month, but I'll post pics when it's done.

It'll actually be around November, because I have a couple barrels that I'd like to test for accuracy in their original platform AR-10 just to check out how they shoot and decide which to use.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: I'm about to go for it - BLR barrel

Post by 4t5 »

Git er done! :D
Rumble.com/ hickock45
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

IMG_20220831_151226.jpg

Anyone have an idea how to remove the peg or stud that locates the barrel lug extension.

I'm not sure what reference terms are used for these parts - It vares from one manufacturer to the next . It's most commonly referred to as 'Barrel Extension' in AR circles,
The 'Extension' that contains the bolt lugs is threaded on to provide correct headspacing, then that pin or stud retains it in place.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

IMG_20220831_212412.jpg

It's easier to see in this pic with a stainless barrel.
I have to remove that pin or dowell or stud before the lugs can be removed by unthreading.
I'm not sure how it's held in place so that makes removal difficult.

Thanks to anyone with helpful advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

No Help ?

I have a lathe that I can use and all the specs I need to get it done. I just can't get the thing apart

Bump
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

BK, you seemed to have stumped us. I like to think I know a little more than most how about the modern BLR's as I have one, but what you are trying to do is beyond what I had done to mine. Maybe call up a gunsmith who has worked on one? It doesn't sound like Browning is much help to you. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

The back of a BLR takedown barrel looks very similar to an AR barrel except for the dimensions.
The design of the part has numerous similarities.
In AR circles, it's referred to as a Barrel Extension and it's threaded on and held in place with a pin.
I've never taken one off an AR , but the Barrel Extension is sold separately by a lot of AR parts dealers.

I'll take some pics when the light is better...

Anyhow I bought a spare barrel for my .308 Win BLR Takedown with the intention of fabricating a .358 W barrel using a .358 W barrel as a 'blank'
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I understand you. MIne is in 358 Winchester also, great cartridge and you can really make the most of it handloading in the strong BLR action. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:45 pm I understand you. MIne is in 358 Winchester also, great cartridge and you can really make the most of it handloading in the strong BLR action. -Tutt
I tried some LeverRevolution behind the Barnes bullets and was shooting groups that surprised me at 100 yd.
Can't remember the specifics ATM ...200 gr Barnes
That was shooting a 19" barrel in my AR 10
That's the barrel that I want to modify to fit my BLR
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just ran Quick Load for the Barnes 200 grain TSX bullet. First best powder for velocity was Winchester 748 Powder (it generated a very different powder list from my 250 grain Hornady bullets!). An even 50 grains of it had a MAP of 59,042 PSI ESTIMATED and 2594 FPS out of your 19 inch barrel. Too high for a lever gun but OK in a bolt gun. You might be able to find some recipes using that powder if you look around. -Tutt

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

From another web site, your mileage may vary:

“Pull that little pin out with a vice grip plier . When you clamp onto the pin turn it a bit-- Then it should pull out--There is nothing really holding it in but pressure Of an oversize pin in a smaller hole-- next clamp the barrel tightly in a barrel vice. Get a big pipe wrench and grab the extension and unscrew it counterclockwise.”
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

If its just an interference fit then you should be able to drive it out with a pin punch. They come in sets, you probably already have some I'm guessing. -Tutt

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:08 pm If its just an interference fit then you should be able to drive it out with a pin punch. They come in sets, you probably already have some I'm guessing. -Tutt
I believe it’s a blind hole.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Got it Harry, thanks! -Tutt

BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

harry wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:47 pm From another web site, your mileage may vary:

“Pull that little pin out with a vice grip plier . When you clamp onto the pin turn it a bit-- Then it should pull out--There is nothing really holding it in but pressure Of an oversize pin in a smaller hole-- next clamp the barrel tightly in a barrel vice. Get a big pipe wrench and grab the extension and unscrew it counterclockwise.”
Got it - Thanks

This is going to be an interesting project !
The most extensive work I've ever attempted on a firearm, by far
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

BeeKay, it is an interesting project. I am looking forward to your updates.

JBowen
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

JBowen wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:37 am BeeKay, it is an interesting project. I am looking forward to your updates.

JBowen
I intend to make sure it turns out right (sort of a pun, considering it entails lathe work)
Probably the most challenging part, other than cutting threads into stainless, will be to get the headspacing correct over the existing chamber.
But if I keep my thinking cap on and don't make any mistakes, it's do-able.
The finished product will be a .358 W barrel that's threaded for a muzzle brake, so I can blow my eardrums out if I hunt with it... Or whatever other purposes there may be.
Supressors aren't legal here.

The project ended up being put on the back burner because I had some complications with my other extraneous affairs last month.