New project rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

New project rifle

Post by GunnyMack »

I've had a post 64 model 70 that I received from a buddy as a gift. Seeing as how I just purchased a 6-24 Vortex scope im not thinking of doing up a nice PRS/snioer/ big game rifle( like I really need another)
Anyhow this model 70 is a long action even though its in 308 now, mag has a filler block so easy enough to remove that.
So the question im posing to ya is what caliber YOU would do?

For the record I already have a 257 AI, 7x57,308, 338 Federal, 338 WM. Im thinking 280AI... if I go 280AI of course ill need to source dies, brass, powders and more bullets. Maybe I'll stick with 308...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New project rifle

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a custom .303 Brit in the works, but the next one is going to be a .458 WM on another P-14 action. Just because.

If ya wanna be weird like me, make it into a .35 Remington. I love my Swede 96, .35 Rem/ 9x49. :D
I've always wanted a Model 70 in .220 Swift though. Just for exploding woodchucks. Since my dad gave me my grandfather's .250-3000 last Christmas, the .220 isn't as high on the list anymore.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

338-06 or 35 Whelen.
Sounds like a cool project buddy.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

OldWin, I agree. Good choices.

I have a commercial Mauser with a shot-out barrel chambered in .22-250 and I think either of your choices would be ideal for a new chambering in my rifle. I have read that the improved version of the .35 Whelan doesn't offer a significant velocity increase so I would probably stick with the standard chambering. I think the 35 Whelan in particular would make a great cast bullet rifle.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sure those are great calibers BUT you forget what started this, the 6-24x scope... im thinking loooong range stuff here. Ooh , one of my all time favorites ! 300 H& H , naw can't do that as its a standard bolt face.

Oh I also have the 375 H&H.
Maybe I'm thinking the wrong way. I dont have a 6 or 6.5 in anything...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

How about a fast twist 270 Win that can handle those heavy bullets for the new 6.8? 30-06 is always a sound versatile choice to have around. 6.5-06, 280 AI, 338-06, 9.3x62 would all be interesting to play with. 308 is fine too probably my favorite for hunting. I like it in shorter actions though. M70s were all one length until the Classic came out in the nineties, that being 375 H&H length. You already have cartridges that cover about anything these will do though. Staying with 308 is the cheap way to go and going with another you already have is pretty sensible too
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

+1 on OldWins choices, but since you need to use that sniper scope, how about a 6.5/06? Or swap it for a short action? 6.5/.284, .358 Win, .220 Swift.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Seeing it was a gift I would leave it as is. Scope it with what you like and shoot it for fun
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hmmm, for ultra long range stuff, your best off with something in the 338 to 40 caliber. Hornady makes a really nice 390 grain A-Tip Match bullet in 375 that has a ridiculous BC of 0.987 and works in a typical 1:12 twist 375 H&H barrel but they recommend a 1:11 twist. I do like the idea of the 35 Whelen as mentioned. It might be worth looking at what bullets are currently available with huge BC's for what you want to do. Hornady also makes a 416 A-Tip that is 500 grains, has a BC of 0.976 and needs a twist of 1:12. The bullet is very long, so not sure what type of velocity you could get with that, but with that BC certainly enough I would think. You might want to go to Mark and Sam's After Work on You Tube and watch some of their videos and recommendations. Some of the 300 caliber Weatherby cartridges might also be interesting or some of Hornady's new Precision Rifle series of calibers. Lots to think about here, you have many options! I sort of envy you the possibilities! :D :mrgreen: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Aggie01
Levergunner

Post by Aggie01 »

I would go with a 6.5-.284. The long action will let you seat long and really wring the most out of it.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

25-06, 6.5-06 or 280 Remington. The 280 would be a good choice as plenty of bullet selection. Not far off a 7mm mag either...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Take it to 30-06 and be happy forever.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Blaine wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:48 am Take it to 30-06 and be happy forever.
I'm 100% with Blaine! We've had the 06 so long, heard it so long, I thought for years boring! But now, I love mine just like a 30-30, and it's the most versatile cartridge I have knowledge of! Bullet selection is vast, several powders for it according to the bullet and rifle! You can make it a handy equal of the 30-30, or do 98% of what the 338 will do, kill any game on earth!
If anything other than 06, I agree with Old Win's choices!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This morning I loaded 20 rounds of 308. Took a middle of the road charge, 41.5 of IMR4895 behind a 147gr fmj to use as sighting in fodder.
Off to the club to get rough zero.
I use the old look through the bore method, after that I was on paper at 100 and proceeded to shoot a couple groups. Those 147s aren't the match bullet grade by a long shot but still held around an inch or a tad more.
So for now it'll stay as is, put my efforts into a new shooting bench ( the one at the club is small in every direction and wobbles worse than an Irish lad on his way from the pub.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got one of the thing Athlon 6-24x scopes on my Remington 700 HB fluted 260 REM that also has scan screwed on . Anyway as much as I dislike the Athlon they’re a heck of a buy for the buck . I’ve literally tried to destroy them on purpose on a375 H&H I had as well as a 416 REM Mag I had and the darn scope withstood the recoil and to be honest with those 3-12’s I shot the best groups I’ve ever fired with a 375 or 416 and with a scope that dealer cost to me was less than $80 . As to the cartridge for the Model 70 I’d go with a 6.5-06 with a 1:8 or a 6mm-06 using a Hawk Hill Custom 1:7.5 barrel .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

6mm-06 or 6.5-06 would be nice. I would choose a Shilen barrel because I can go to the factory and get one with a 40 minute drive from home. Might even get to watch it be rifled. Shilen is a good brand, too. Lots of good options, but you can't go wrong with a anything based on a 30-06.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:56 pm 6mm-06 or 6.5-06 would be nice. I would choose a Shilen barrel because I can go to the factory and get one with a 40 minute drive from home. Might even get to watch it be rifled. Shilen is a good brand, too. Lots of good options, but you can't go wrong with a anything based on a 30-06.
My 6.5-06 , 26 Nosler and 6.5 Sherman Short Mag all have Shilen stainless barrels the 6mm-06 however has the Hawk Hill barrel because a deceased friend recommended them and Hawk Hill’s about 45 miles away . I will however say I paid more for that Hawk Hill barrel than I ever have for a stainless Shilen but then we have a dealer discount at Shilen .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Shilen would be my first choice for rebarreling.
I really need to shoot this rifle a bit more, its been sitting in the safe for years, can't even remember if I shot it when I got it. Lots of 308 brass on hand, fair amount of bullets.
Now if I only had a few more powders to play with...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:57 pm
piller wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:56 pm 6mm-06 or 6.5-06 would be nice. I would choose a Shilen barrel because I can go to the factory and get one with a 40 minute drive from home. Might even get to watch it be rifled. Shilen is a good brand, too. Lots of good options, but you can't go wrong with a anything based on a 30-06.
My 6.5-06 , 26 Nosler and 6.5 Sherman Short Mag all have Shilen stainless barrels the 6mm-06 however has the Hawk Hill barrel because a deceased friend recommended them and Hawk Hill’s about 45 miles away . I will however say I paid more for that Hawk Hill barrel than I ever have for a stainless Shilen but then we have a dealer discount at Shilen .
A good manufacturer who is a short distance away is always a good choice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost