Unicorn sighting (New Marlin 95)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Unicorn sighting (New Marlin 95)

Post by Oldncrusty »

My regular said it took him quite a while to get one. It's not for me, but still a wonderful toy (tool) to have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Unicorn sighting (New Marlin 95)

Post by 2ndovc »

Local shop had one for $1249. Didn't have the cash on me that day and was gone by the time I made it back out there. Expecting to get some more in a week or so.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I hadnt really been keeping up with the market. They probably aren't unicorns any llonger. Just sorta shocked to see one in my hick tiown. Looking fwd to a report on yours soon. Good luck.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

How much over catalog retail is that?

Effective guns but paying 500 more than what it’s worth sucks

I had a Guide Gun —. It was actually a very nice hunting companion.

But it’s a Marlin ……………………………………… not an 1886 Winchester

Scam economics for a commodity grade rifle.

Kinda like my ‘18 Tacoma that is still worth 40k. —- I’d cash out but when 7 and 8 year olds f150’s are still fetching 28k, I don’t have a backup plan
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At least it's a pretty free market when it comes to firearms. None of us are forced to buy them, although I have to admit I've bought a few 'overpriced' ones over the years because the Gun Fairy was whispering in my ear and I couldn't resist... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:13 pm .
At least it's a pretty free market when it comes to firearms. None of us are forced to buy them, although I have to admit I've bought a few 'overpriced' ones over the years because the Gun Fairy was whispering in my ear and I couldn't resist... :oops:

Oh I admit to paying a bit much over the years too :lol: Yes, at least we still have a market for me to complain about sometimes
----- Doug
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Suggested retail according to Marlin's website is $1399 so Jason found one at a not unreasonable price. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 pm Suggested retail according to Marlin's website is $1399 so Jason found one at a not unreasonable price. -Tutt

Wow! I guess I gotta get out more. Sounds like a plain-Jane stainless guide gun for $800 or so is a thing of the past
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Streetstar wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:27 am
CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 pm Suggested retail according to Marlin's website is $1399 so Jason found one at a not unreasonable price. -Tutt

Wow! I guess I gotta get out more. Sounds like a plain-Jane stainless guide gun for $800 or so is a thing of the past
Good luck with that :shock:
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The Rossi gun fairy has been whispering in my ear, but I am firm against paying $700 for a plain vanilla 92.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

was just cruising gun broker looking at more 1895's

Theres a bunch of them in the $1300 price range -but after taxes, shipping and transfer fee, may as well call it the $1500 range

Wow -- I really like the MArlin 1895's but as i mentioned earlier --- merely putting a $1300 pricetag on a $750 gun doesnt make it worth $1300 --- But in a world of $5/gallon gasoline, increased energy costs and ever higher taxation , guess there are worse things in life

$1300 is edging close to 1886 Winchester money though

--- just ranting a bit gents -- and yes, i havent purchased anything new since before Covid so havent been aware that the market has gone up by at least a third on a lot of things-- although i did get some sticker shock when purchasing 9mm range ammo to sight in my "new" MP-5 (purchased in 2019 and just sat in the pelican case it came in as i wasnt that motivated to shoot it )

I'll go back to shaking my fist at clouds now
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:46 am The Rossi gun fairy has been whispering in my ear, but I am firm against paying $700 for a plain vanilla 92.
I understand...

...but likewise I thought it was ridiculous to spend $69.95 for an M1 Carbine at one point; no way such a plain vanilla gun that common was worth more than the $39.95 they had so recently been available for... :roll: I was 'firm against it', and though I could have ponied up $400 and bought ten of them, I spent $400 on a much more desirable and 'reasonably priced' gun and scope, that in the 40 years hence has doubled in value, which is fine, but if I'd spent it on the 'overpriced' M1 Carbines, I could sell eight of them for WAY more money now, and still keep a couple to fiddle with.

...time has changed the numbers, and my perspective, for sure...we may well see the same thing happen for the plain vanilla 'truck guns' we have now, in the other Remlins, the Rossi's, and the starter-grade Savages and Rugers...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I think the price is steep too but I’ve read a couple of articles with nice photos of course. It seems that Ruger treats this first model Marlin as a premium product taking heed of Remington’s bad start with the brand. The rifles are reported to be smooth with excellent fit and finish. Ruger also lists a lot of Hawkeye bolt actions in this price range. A Rossi 92 is easily $600 now for a basic blue carbine that may cycle like a Daisy washed up on a beach. A Henry 45-70 with a side gate lists for a grand.

I remember in this century thinking $600 was high for a used Browning 92. My 1894 Marlin was about $350 new then. A few years ago I picked up a stainless Rossi full rifle used for $350 out the door that is really smooth and probably been worked on.

That filthy presafety 444 I bought last year for $400 seems like a steal now. Cleaned up rather nicely too. Those finds are going to be pretty rare now
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:04 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:46 am The Rossi gun fairy has been whispering in my ear, but I am firm against paying $700 for a plain vanilla 92.
I understand...

...but likewise I thought it was ridiculous to spend $69.95 for an M1 Carbine at one point; ..

At my age (51) i remember the early 90's when people were buying SKS's for $75-$100 still in cosmoline.

I recall thinking - "Why would i want no good like that?"

I still have the same sentiment about SKS's but now they are routinely 4 and $500 rifles. From an investment perspective, my mutual funds are doing better over 30 years than that ROI, however, i kick myself for not putting 1 or 2 (or 3) of them back for a rainy day
Of course i could go on and on -- used model 94's for $175, I even remember passing on a HK VP-70 at $300 because i thought it looked weird (they still look weird )
----- Doug