speaking of Marlins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of Marlins

Post by Grizz »

I was looking at the specs on new marlins, and i read that the 1894 in 45 Colt has a 1:38 barrel ! ! ! cough, puke, rinse and repeat. but perhaps it isn't true, i hope.

https://marlingunsales.com/marlin-1894- ... ion-rifle/

don't know where i read the twist rate. 1:20 would suit me. but 1:38 ? still haven't re-seen that number. yet.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: speaking of Marlins

Post by piller »

I hope that is incorrect. A 1:20 twist rate would stabilize a wider selection of bullet weights.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's the main reason that my 45 rifle choice is 45/70. versatility. if i wanted crazy big medicine versatility it'd be 458 win mag. shooting the same variety of bullets farther. the why of it escapes me now. :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of the reasons I like the Ruger 96/44 is that it has a 1:20, and I always wished they made them in 45 Colt (...or 480 Ruger...!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:26 pm .
One of the reasons I like the Ruger 96/44 is that it has a 1:20, and I always wished they made them in 45 Colt (...or 480 Ruger...!)
I "think", [and this is risky}, that Winchester's 45 is 1:20 . . . I think this because if I had known then what i think i know now, I would have started with 45 colt. Once I was invested in 44 mag, and it was producing almost all our venison, i just coasted through a quarter century of deer harvests.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

That site seems fishy to me. I don’t think it’s legit.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bridger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:00 pm That site seems fishy to me. I don’t think it’s legit.
thanks, that's a point. there are a LOT of cloned sites that i spot by their fractured english grammar. re-writes of data stolen from other sites. for example "10 best anythings" usually get rewarmed content with egregious translation errors.

I did read that the Marlin 1894 45 has a 1:38 twist, but have not rediscovered the site. ruger's site says it's not in production. truth is binary, but it doesn't always cooperate on the internet, which seems opposed to it . . .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wasn’t that one of the problems with accuracy with the 44 mag 1894’s also?

I had 2 of those critters and holding 5” at 100 yards, even with an optic, was doing something
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:58 am Wasn’t that one of the problems with accuracy with the 44 mag 1894’s also?

I had 2 of those critters and holding 5” at 100 yards, even with an optic, was doing something
that's interesting. we made Lots of meat with ours, and with white box 240 loads it seemed to be a can't-miss proposition. ours would not stabilize a 300Gr bullet, but I've read that some will. generally the bullet went where the bead was held, and it hammered the Sitka Blacktails we ate.

i don't think we ever shot much paper, but one time we had 3 shooters trading it around at a Juneau range, and mysteriously it went from tight groups to more or less spraying ammo around. later i found that a screw had dropped out of the front sight block . . . .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bridger wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:00 pmThat site seems fishy to me. I don’t think it’s legit.
I agree. (https://www.scam-detector.com/validator ... om-review/) Remember, the 1894s aren't being produced yet. (From Marlin Firearms website, clearly part of Ruger). They only accept Zelle & "cryptocurrency" as payment options. Two excellent indicators of fraud.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I remember seeing on Marlin's website from 3 years ago that the twist rate was indeed 1 in 38".
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When I was a kid about 14 or 15 I bought an El Tigre Model 92 .44-40 from the Jewel Box Pawn Shop in Phoenix, Arizona. I payed around $40 for it and they gave me a complete box of original UMC blackpowder .44-40's along with the gun. That levergun had a standard 1 in 38 twist. I started handloading the Keith .44 SWC over heavy loads of 2400 and shooting them long range ... out to 400 yards. At 400 yards the Keith SWC was not stable but I could keep them on a target silhouette of a deer at that range. I figured if I hit a deer with one that was going sideways it would be pretty deadly ... though I never did take it deer hunting. My old .303 British was much better at longer distances. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:43 am When I was a kid about 14 or 15 I bought an El Tigre Model 92 .44-40 from the Jewel Box Pawn Shop in Phoenix, Arizona. I payed around $40 for it and they gave me a complete box of original UMC blackpowder .44-40's along with the gun. That levergun had a standard 1 in 38 twist. I started handloading the Keith .44 SWC over heavy loads of 2400 and shooting them long range ... out to 400 yards. At 400 yards the Keith SWC was not stable but I could keep them on a target silhouette of a deer at that range. I figured if I hit a deer with one that was going sideways it would be pretty deadly ... though I never did take it deer hunting. My old .303 British was much better at longer distances. :D
That's amazing Jim. somewhere I have a photo of the holes made by a heavy for caliber 44 bullet that exited the second jug of water, and went through a sheet of plywood sideways six feet or so from the muzzle, up and left of the sight line. that would have been the 1894 Marlin that we were shooting on the ranch a few days ago . . . , that took an uncounted number of deer in SE Alaska. That has the Marlin slow twist. barrel. The only practical way to get a 400 yard shot in SE is from a boat!
I maybe bought a Swedish 6.5 carbine from that same store . . . Dad thought it would be a dandy deer gun. don't know why. . . he liked high velocity airplanes, cars, and guns. not necessarily in that order.