Texas Memories 30-30 project . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Texas Memories 30-30 project . . .

Post by Grizz »

I mentioned that I have a couple of surplus Marlins, one of which I plan to "improve" up to a trapper style lever gun, on account of the mentions and tales of such like on the forum. perhaps a scabbard later on.
not started yet, but two items are to chop, er, cut the barrel to 16.125, dovetail the sight slot, and thin the forearm to winchester proportions. maybe even shorten it a scoch to fool barrel line a bit...
idk, it's all contingent on getting started "someday" I guess.
if anyone has photos or drawings of Marlin trappers, please post. need input.

Thanks and †

serial is 250870xx if someone knows the date. thanks again
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Texas Memories 30-30 project . . .

Post by 765x53 »

Marlin called it the "Marauder". https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933534324
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

765x53 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:34 pm Marlin called it the "Marauder". https://www.gunbroker.com/item/933534324
thanks for the link. mine might be a little older, it looks like that one. i gave the 35 to my son, or i coulda made a pair of them LOL

the 336Y has a 12" pull length butt stock, so 33.25 OAL, I might go there. Handier yet. Son doesn't have any trouble shooting the kid's crickets, so he might feel the 30 is over-stocked. :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

will likely fill the rear sight dovetail. did that on the guide gun and it's nearly invisible. then use the scope ring spot for a receiver sight . . . makes a very clean setup . . . then the pic rail, wait, what ? no way . . .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I think I have what you are referencing. Actually 2.
This one is mine. It's a first year 336RC in 30-30 from 1948. I picked it up cheap back in 1993 with a project in mind. I wanted an early one to get the Ballard rifling.
It is cut to 16", and the wood is slimmed down. The forend is modeled after a Winchester 64 or 71. I also installed a Winchester 94 saddle ring (just because), and set it up for a cotton canvas M1 sling. For many years, I had just a 66 Lyman installed, but switched to the excellent Leupold FX2.5 scope. This gives enough eye relief to not be in the way of the hammer and only weighs 6oz. It is an excellent shooter.
The next year, I built an identical rifle (from 1950) for my dad. He has used his more than I have mine.

Looking back, I should have held out for a straight grip. I'm more of a Winchester guy, but don't care for PG in Winchesters either. Strangely enough, this carbine holds the record of me shooting my biggest doe (1993) and biggest buck (2019). The buck was a fluke. I just grabbed it last minute that morning because the weather was bad.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that one looks real good, perfect actually. good job!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Grizz wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:32 pm that one looks real good, perfect actually. good job!
Thank you. If you'd like better or more pictures let me know. Any other questions I can answer or help with just let me know Grizz.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I too have a standard pistol grip 30-30 20" from 1980 that I hope to Marauder, including a switch to a straight buttstock. I havent had time to see how feasible (costly) that would be. I also have a factory Texan from 1980 with the 18.5" barrel. The forearm is much slimmer than the old ones from the 50's. If you would need pics or measurements from it, feel free to let me know.

Good luck on your project.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

By the S/N, your gun is 1975. While I have no pictures, the "trapper" marlins came in two configurations, barrel bands or a capped forend, 336 and 1894. The marauder and the LTS were years apart but similar in design. The 1894CP, P models are forend capped, tenon barrel hanger, no bands.

I googled images of these models.

I have a Glenfield 30A that I purchased to make into a trapper but have yet to have it done. I did convert it to a straight grip and walnut. The front sight is dovetailed, my preference for all lever guns.

The straight grip conversion is too easy. The tang is easily amended and straight levers can be found as can the buttstock. (Older models have the S/N on the lower tang)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks guys. my gun has the barrel band, which I like. I think it's a good donor and will be a happy hunter at the ranch.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hard to tell in the pictures, but my carbine has the dovetailed post sight in front of the band (as God intended carbines). If I did it again, I would have put a Winchester style block and pin arrangement on so I could configure the front sight as I want. Of course, I'm a lot older than when I built it. I could use almost any front sight back then. :D
A straight grip conversion would have injected too much cost into the project for me. Parts are more iffy and expensive nowadays. I ended up with about $250 bucks in mine minus the Leupold I added a few years ago.
While as I mentioned, a straight grip would have been nice, these have been good rifles. I spent a considerable amount of time on the action and trigger in mine. It is very smooth. My dad's feels like a normal 336 from that era.
Mine spent a lot of time on a four wheeler. I also had a police cruiser shotgun mount in an old Dodge pickup and it rode on the hump for a long time. That was back in its peep sight days.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my carbine has the dovetailed post sight in front of the band (as God intended carbines).
it should be easy to swap front sights. a drop of superglue can be heated slightly for replacing the entire dovetail, eh? I'm thinking of the copper ha'penny or a copper post, or a completely copper dovetail and sight made from cathode copper. . . might have issues if it's a salt-water skiff gun. idk, but I like the idea of a front sight that won't snag on anything. will troll the photos online for suggestions...

the pistol grip is A-OK, and maybe aids in barrel down carry, whatever works best. it's a Keeper for sure.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Funny you mention that Grizz! I don't do barrel down carry a lot because the woods up here are full of blow downs and other snags, but it is easier with a pistol grip. My dad carried his that way anytime he was in a trail or road.
My dad switched back to his old 1894 Winchester 32WS trapper a few years ago. I built that for his birthday back in 1990.
I usually make my front posts from old Master Lock keys. They dont tarnish easily and can be shaped with ease. They only need a few thousandths take off the thickness to fit in a Winchester front sight block. I color the top and sides with a black marker, leaving the rear facing surface the brass color. They work pretty well.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good idea on the sight. i'm glad i have this 30-30 available. just right. Model 336 with no modifiers. Two barrel bands, slim fore stock, and no lawyered nuisances. saves me from having to bubba the guide gun, which is oddly accurate regardless who shoots it. I can't imagine what would be not to like with a 16.125 inch barrel on a guide gun, but i'm certain that i could be the One to find out. Ouch!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yup. While I like the 45-70, in a 16" carbine I'd much prefer the 30-30. While I don't know for sure, I would think the 30-30 suffers less from a cut barrel. It certainly has less recoil to give quicker time back on target at the short distance a Trapper is usually used. If I go to a bigger bore in a Trapper, I go with 44 magnum for my uses.
I think you will find that your rifle will be exactly what you are looking for. I was surprised with mine in that I have have scored some fairly long range hits with the little critter. Even with the Lyman 66 it used to wear. Not on game, mind you, just informal shooting.
It's amazing how many people have asked about it, tried to buy it, or wanted to have one built.
In the Maine woods, you really give up nothing with the trappers. You gain much, however. Having a carbine that fits in a pack basket, is easily maneuvered in a Jeep, or isn't wider than a 4 wheeler (getting between trees), is invaluable.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i have a 45/70/525 load that I've fired from a 10 inch BFR, a single shot pistol, a Guide gun, a 22" Marlin, and a 32" single shot rifle. i can safely say that cutting the guide gun to 16 inches will have no practical effect on the ranges at which i use it. IOW, IF the 525Gr slug exited at any velocity at or above 1300fps, the velocity it clocked from Blaine's revolver, it would produce identical wounds at the BFR's range and greater damage farther out, to a point. From the 32" barrel the slug is slowing down, so there's no gain for that load in that gun...
it's a little counter-intuitive, but i probably failed that class any way . . , LOL
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks for the info Griff. I never would have guessed.
I have one of the 1972 issue Marlin 1895s with the 22" barrel and straight grip. Don't think I'll cut it though. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OldWin wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:08 pm Thanks for the info Griff. I never would have guessed.
I have one of the 1972 issue Marlin 1895s with the 22" barrel and straight grip. Don't think I'll cut it though. :D
I have one too. the geometry of that rifle makes it feel like a 1x4 pounding my shoulder. it hits harder than my 338 did!

I theorize that less muzzle flip makes more felt recoil. IDK 444 is another kick to shoot. never had an issue shooting the guide gun with any of the 45/70 loads i've tried.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Grizz wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:22 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:08 pm Thanks for the info Griff. I never would have guessed.
I have one too. the geometry of that rifle makes it feel like a 1x4 pounding my shoulder. it hits harder than my 338 did!

I theorize that less muzzle flip makes more felt recoil. IDK 444 is another kick to shoot. never had an issue shooting the guide gun with any of the 45/70 loads i've tried.
Haha funny story............!
I bought that 1895 for my dad many years ago for helping with work on my house. He told me to work up a load for it. I asked what kind of load. He said warm.
I loaded some Hornady slugs over a good charge of 3031, mounted a 66 Lyman, and off to the range we went.
He fired that thing and I could see it on his face. It hurt. And my dad ain't no small guy. Or a wussy. For whatever reason, that thing hurt him. It didn't effect me as bad, and I don't consider myself immune from recoil. Just the difference in build I guess. To my knowledge, he hasn't fired it since. It's been over 30 years. :D
I have carried it afield some. It's a nice rifle and a good shooter. Never shot any game with it though.