OAC August Collector gun show.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

OAC August Collector gun show.

Post by marlinman93 »

We had our annual 2 day collector gun show this weekend. In a brand new building, with great lighting, and AC! I did a small display of three Ballard rifles built, and barreled by the late George C Schoyen whose shop was in Denver, Co. from the 1880's until 1916 when he died. Also some Schoyen and Ballard tools with my display.

Saturday morning a real surprise came up to my table! A gentleman walked up and after looking at my display he told me he had something for me. He reached in his pack and pulled out this H.M. Pope bullet lube pump!

He said he'd sold me another antique loading tool from the same set some years ago, and decided he wanted to offer me this Pope lube pump as he wanted to to "be in a collection of someone who owned a Pope rifle and would enjoy it". So to say I was thrilled would be an understatement. And his price was too cheap, and he refused my offer to pay him twice what he asked. So it now resides in my single shot collection.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OAC August Collector gun show.

Post by gamekeeper »

Great photos of your Ballard rifles and a cool story on the Pope bullet lube pump..... 8) 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, Ned Roberts would be smiling ... 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks guys!
Not sure what happened that my photos came out better than they usually do?
We had probably 30 displays at the show, with a large number being military oriented guns and accessories too. Some great items for sale also, so lots to look at, or buy. I picked up another Ballard complete action for a future project, and some other small items. Also had a friend ask if I was interested in a Western Vietnam Bowie knife. I looked it over, and it obviously had seen some damp jungle service as the sheath was almost black from use. Blade and grip is very nice, with just some blotchy areas, but no pitting. He had a can't pass it up price, and I've wanted one that was a military issue from Vietnam a long time. They just keep getting crazy prices on Ebay, so this was one I could afford to own.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had to look up the Western Vietnam Bowie and was surprised that I once had a very cheap copy ( made in Pakistan) the blade was very poor steel but boy did it scare a bunch of Gypsies I confronted that had harassed my ex wife...... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool stuff!

The bowie sounds like a real prize to me. I like things that look like they have been issued or used as intended. My favorite military pistol is a WWI 1911 that has very little finish left, but aside from the bluing it's still just as it was made in 1913.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:24 am Cool stuff!

The bowie sounds like a real prize to me. I like things that look like they have been issued or used as intended. My favorite military pistol is a WWI 1911 that has very little finish left, but aside from the bluing it's still just as it was made in 1913.

jb 8)
Western knives were something I collected many years ago. I ended up selling my entire collection to a friend, and only kept the few that were my dad's. I never found a Western Vietnam bowie back then, so when my friend pulled this one out to put on his table I was excited. Fortunately another mutual friend grabbed it first and told him he had a friend who might want it. I told him if his friend didn't I sure did! He handed it to me, and said, "You might as well buy it then, and I'll pass on it."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

AWESOME!!!!!!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS