.35 Winchester brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

.35 Winchester brass

Post by 2ndovc »

Grafs has a little in stock.

I don't shoot my .35 much, but I was missing a couple from the last hunt I took it on.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .35 Winchester brass

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a really neat cartridge, Jason.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 am That's a really neat cartridge, Jason.
Hit's like a truck too, I think this one was over 200 pounds. This was one of my grandfather's Winchesters, I've hunted with it several times, but I don't shoot it a lot. Seems like every time I take it out, I lose a case or two. :shock:

One of the TX leverguns trips. I was a LOT heavier in those days.

jb 8)

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

35 caliber cartridges really intrigue me. I've had a love affair with both the 35 Remington and 35 Whelen for decades now and I'd still like to get a 358 Winchester some day. Regarding power, how does the 35 Winchester compare to the those, especially the 35 Whelen and 35 Winchester?

That 95 of yours sure did the trick on the hog. Was it cut down or is it a carbine?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

kaschi wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:40 pm 35 caliber cartridges really intrigue me. I've had a love affair with both the 35 Remington and 35 Whelen for decades now and I'd still like to get a 358 Winchester some day. Regarding power, how does the 35 Winchester compare to the those, especially the 35 Whelen and 35 Winchester?

That 95 of yours sure did the trick on the hog. Was it cut down or is it a carbine?
No, not cut down except someone but a pad on it many years ago. I don't know if my grandfather had it done, but most likely bought it that way. It just looks kinda small in my hands.

From what I've read, the .35 WCF is behind the .358 Win and .35 Whelen power wise. Mostly due to the pressure limitations of the Model 95's action. I've pushed my .30-06s a little harder than I should, but don't want to take that risk with grandpa's 95.
From what I've owned and hunted with, performance wise it's consistent with the .35 Remington. Just in a classier package. :D

jb 8)

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Definitely a cool heirloom. Thanks for posting!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:27 pm Grafs has a little in stock.

I don't shoot my .35 much, but I was missing a couple from the last hunt I took it on.

jb 8)
Can't you make them from readily available .303 British brass? I think all you need to do is fire form the .303 British and it's ready to go?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't know about .303 brass, but it can be made out of .30-40s. Thanks for the reminder, I had totally forgotten about that. Should be an interesting project.

jb 8)

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My 95 in 35 Win has the red recoil pad also. I just had some #11 by 36TPI screws made so I can attach a side mount scope using the factory holes. Then deer hunting this fall. I used a side mount scope on the 71 which came drilled and tapped for it and I really like it. It's nice to have the scope to bring in more light first thing in the morning while sitting in the woods. It comes up very natural, don't have to do the head shuffle to see through the scope.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Regarding the use of other cartridge brass to make 35 Win cases....... when you look at a 30-40 Krag case head, it is not completely "flat" like most rimmed cases (ex: 30-30, 45-70 etc), but has a "rounded" appearance for lack of a better term. I assume the 35 Win and 405 Win are the same. Is there a designation for such cases and why were they designed this way?
Just had an afterthought: the 7.62x54R also is rounded. There are probably more!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:54 am I don't know about .303 brass, but it can be made out of .30-40s. Thanks for the reminder, I had totally forgotten about that. Should be an interesting project.

jb 8)
.303 and .30-40 are nearly identical brass. I use either one to make my .40-50SS brass.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:20 am
2ndovc wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:54 am I don't know about .303 brass, but it can be made out of .30-40s. Thanks for the reminder, I had totally forgotten about that. Should be an interesting project.

jb 8)
.303 and .30-40 are nearly identical brass. I use either one to make my .40-50SS brass.
You are correct Sir! I wasn't sure at the time. I knew I had some .35WCFs made from .30-40s, but wasn't positive about the length of the .303s. I know they all run through the 95s just fine. I have quite a pile of both and hope to spend some time experimenting this weekend.

jb 8)