What is your most useful levergun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

What is your most useful levergun?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

It doesn't have to be the most used, but the one that you find to be the most useful.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is your most useful levergun?

Post by 2ndovc »

For where I live now, it would be this .357 CST or my old 39A. With some lite .38spls it's quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors if I have to put something down in the backyard. Though most of the time, I grab the Savage MKII FV in the garage.

When i had my little farm in the sticks, my Marlin 94P was my go to rifle. It was always by the back door and constant companion on walks around the property. Along with the dogs. :D The .44 just won't feed SWCs like the .357 will. That thing is so well tuned it will feed wadcutters.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That definitely looks useful!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's a shooter too. I've taken it out on a couple of woodchuck hunts at a friend's farm. He had several around his barns that he wanted taken care of. Didn't see any up close, but took a shot at one about 300 yds out. First shot was close enough to get him to stand on his hind legs, second round went over his head. He beat feet for parts unknown. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1967 Canadian Centennial that's been transformed into a Trapper
37574.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

My Savage 99 A in 308 gets the job done in fine style, not the most used lever gun i own, that honor
goes to my tack driver 99 E in 243, the 308 wins because of its power to down any large game in Wyoming

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So far a Marlin 45-70, only one I hav shot other than paper with.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Being that Squirrels are my main quarry my old Winchester 9422 is now my only leveraction... :oops: I know I shouldn't have but I let my others go as they didn't get a lot of use these days.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Rossi Model 92 .357

Post by JimT »

11-Finished.JPG
Close Runnerup
IMG_0184.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Marlin Cowboy 45-70 :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The most useful amd favorite is probably my Winchester 1892 in 45 colt with Streamlight Pro-Tac light and Trijicon RMR.

I can use it for essentially anything....hunting, home defense, truck gun....no issues.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My go-to for most stuff now...
11740.jpeg
The skeletonized stock makes it so lightweight and I finally have a lever gun that I don't worry about getting the magazine tube rusty if I don't disassemble it after I've been out in the rain. The sights enable me to shoot day or night because I can quickly clip on (or off) a light. And I can also actually see what I'm hitting with the Red Dot far better than I can use open sites at my age other than the Marbles Bullseye, which unfortunately isn't much good at night, when many of the barnyard predators we have to deal with are out and about.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I rarely use it, but my 9422M paired up with my stainless Single Six with both cyls would be the last two I'd get rid of. Ok, I'll keep that LCP, too. Never leave home without it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Winchester 71 348
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

As of lately, for fun it's my Winchester 9422 XTR. and my 1894c Marlin in 357.
Nothing like a lightweight handy lever gun!
Johnny
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

rossim92 38/357 magnum
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Probably one of my 20" 94 carbines in 30-30.
Really boring compared to many of my others, but very useful nonetheless.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I only have 3 longarms and a Rossi 92 44 mag stainless 20" does most of my hunting now. Also have a ruger 96/22LR which is pretty useful too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mickbr wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:24 amAlso have a ruger 96/22LR which is pretty useful too.
True on the 96/22 - a GREAT gun...! I put an 'Operator' integrally-suppressed barrel on mine so being a 22 LR it is VERY quiet... 8)
It is also ideal for helping people who've never shot a gun get used to shooting a non-noisy, non-recoiling, non-intimidating, gun, that they can easily hit with (with a little red-dot scope).

I've noticed that the 357 Magnum is one of the most popular rounds for a "most useful" levergun - it seems powerful enough for most hunting, very adequate for self-protection, and yet mild enough (especially with 38 Special loads) for a little kid to learn on. If one lived in Alaska or everyone in the household was a burly experienced shooter, I suppose the 44 Magnum or 45 Colt would be even better.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Probably the one I have in my hands :lol:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

This is an interesting question. I find myself grabbing a Turnbull 1895 Cowboy rebarrelled to .50 Alaskan. Because of the silly rules in Ohio, my 30-30, 35 remington and 1895 winchesters in 30-40 and 30-06 are not legal. When I had the 50 made up 15 or so years ago, my 45/70's went to the safe. I use the 50 now as my deer, bear, moose and elk rifle under 200 yards. For longer range I have bolt guns. It can do it all.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Win 94 30WCF :mrgreen:
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

With useful being the key word, my Marlin 336 wins by a fraction. I've got the open barrel sights fixed to where for me they're very precise out to 100yds+. I filed the rear sight down flat, so there's only a small shallow U left. Filed a slight flat spot on the front sight. And I have a Marbles Tang Sight on rear zeroed for 175 yds.
But my favorite by far is my Mod 64 Win with Williams Receiver Sight! Both are in 30-30, which to me means very useful!
And now I have a Mod 94 Carbine competing with both!
I'll answer this question in truth in a few years! Yes 30-30.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

My nod goes to my 1956 Savage 99F (Featherweight) .300 Savage. It does everything I need. It's light, well-balanced. Requires less powder to reload and approaches a .308 with less recoil on a light rifle.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

That is a beautiful Savage, and no doubt one the best hunting cartridges there's ever been! I've never had either, I believe I've missed something!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Photo12291023.jpg
Photo12291023_1.jpg
goes hunting every year.....but no luck lately
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Very nice!!!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My .480 Ruger caliber model 92. Loaded with everything from 275 grain bullets in light loads to heavy loaded 410 grain Cast Performance Bullets, it will take anything that is too big for a .22 lr all the way up to anything on this continent. I just need to get time to use it. I even have a couple of 385 grain Belt Mountain Punch Bullets left for it. At about 1200 fps, they go through 4 railroad ties sitting side by side. I tried 3 shots and all 3 bullets were not recovered. I am reasonably certain that they would reach the vitals of any bear on this continent.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Here in the wild country of Ohio if I had to choose one gun it would be the Marlin Cl 32-20 . it can replace the air gun , the .22 and will work for self defense with top end loads. to be legal for deer hunting I would have to use the 1895 45-70.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My. 1895 SRC in 30.06
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Mine is an old worn Winchester 94-22 Magnum with CCI 40 gr Gamepoints.

I didn’t abuse this old gun. It came to me like this. But it shoots to the sights and can do anything short of big game hunting

I’m
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

piller wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:58 pm My .480 Ruger caliber model 92. Loaded with everything from 275 grain bullets in light loads to heavy loaded 410 grain Cast Performance Bullets, it will take anything that is too big for a .22 lr all the way up to anything on this continent. I just need to get time to use it. I even have a couple of 385 grain Belt Mountain Punch Bullets left for it. At about 1200 fps, they go through 4 railroad ties sitting side by side. I tried 3 shots and all 3 bullets were not recovered. I am reasonably certain that they would reach the vitals of any bear on this continent.
With only 100 of the 480 Ruger R92’s made, you and I have a good percentage of the market. Mine really loves a 350 powder coated gas checked Miha bullets with 16.5 grains of HS6. It shoots better than I can. Will kill a squirrel or a Bison. Very handy, very accurate.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Bearskinner wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 pm
piller wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:58 pm My .480 Ruger caliber model 92. Loaded with everything from 275 grain bullets in light loads to heavy loaded 410 grain Cast Performance Bullets, it will take anything that is too big for a .22 lr all the way up to anything on this continent. I just need to get time to use it. I even have a couple of 385 grain Belt Mountain Punch Bullets left for it. At about 1200 fps, they go through 4 railroad ties sitting side by side. I tried 3 shots and all 3 bullets were not recovered. I am reasonably certain that they would reach the vitals of any bear on this continent.
With only 100 of the 480 Ruger R92’s made, you and I have a good percentage of the market. Mine really loves a 350 powder coated gas checked Miha bullets with 16.5 grains of HS6. It shoots better than I can. Will kill a squirrel or a Bison. Very handy, very accurate.
and i have two of those 480 model 92s ....... we have 4%of the total production

and i really like mine too
cable
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That .480 sounds like a really useful hunting cartridge.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:18 am That .480 sounds like a really useful hunting cartridge.
I’ve never hunted with the Levergun version, but use the revolvers all the time. It’s a great balance of diameter, bullet weight, speed and power. It’s just much more fun hunting with the revolver, and having a matching lever of the same caliber.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Several years ago, I hunted a hybrid Water Buffalo/Cape Buffalo at the game ranch near Hondo where we had a few get together hunts with this forum. 86er was backing me up with a .45-90 model 86. That 2,000 pound critter absorbed 3 or 4 total ahots before it charged. 86er and I went in separate directions, and it seemed to confuse that buffalo. We were able to get away, and it wandered off bleeding pretty badly. Mike Rintoul was there with his Bowen made Redhawk .50 Linebaugh. We all got back in the truck to wait and give the buffalo time to bleed out. It had other ideas. The Buffalo actually came back for another charge and Mike put a round or two into it from the back seat before I could get my rifle out the window. Then it seemed to have had enough.

Buffalo are tough. I wouldn't be afraid to use a .480 Ruger on one again. I would be a bit more careful about bullet placement. At the time, I didn't know that the heart was lower in the chest than where I assumed it was. My first two shots would have been more effective if they had been aimed about 3 or 4 inches lower. Those 400 grain JSP bullets barely opened up, and I found one stuck halfway through a rib on the other side. It punched through a rib on the left and ended in the rib on the right. I had to saw the rib apart to recover the bullet. I probably should have kept the section of rib with the bullet in it.
I am not trying to say that the .480 is as powerful as some other cartridges, but it is no weakling. I have not recovered any other bullets out of anything else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Most useful? I use my Uberti 73 in 44-40 the most. Most enjoyable would have to be my Uberti 76's, either 45/75 or 50/95.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Model 94 -20” saddle ring carbine in 30wcf

Overall the most versatile

But if I started hand loading some custom loads for my .45 colt trapper, it might have something to say about that too - however, it’s only loaded with cowboy loads, but is my bump in the night gun due to capacity
----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Even cowboy loads are rough on things that go bump in the night.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

my most useful and most often carried is a marlin 336 ER in 356 winchester. very accurate, handy , and ( hopefully ) sufficient for most occasions around here....... if i thought there was a pretty high chance of really big “ big bear” trouble then my browning 1886 custom with very heavy loads would be taken instead.
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:34 am Even cowboy loads are rough on things that go bump in the night.
Yep, plus they are easier on the ears if fired indoors, and less likely to disorient the one behind the trigger from muzzle-flash.

A pair of 0.45" holes (entrance & exit) in the thorax will pretty much get any human to pause a moment to existentially re-examine his priorities. If one of the holes penetrates the heart or great vessels, the process will be hastened, and if the brain or spine is penetrated, they will likely go to ground mid-step.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

veeman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:06 am Most useful? I use my Uberti 73 in 44-40 the most. Most enjoyable would have to be my Uberti 76's, either 45/75 or 50/95.
glad to see someone else has leveritus.....there is no cure! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a JM Marlin model 94 Cowboy with octagonal 24" barrel that may be my most useful levergun. With different loads it is very versatile, going from mild cowboy rounds to kickin' 300 grain cast rounds moving out at 1300 fps. I have a Skinner peep sight in the rear, a tall Skinner blade in front. A beautiful gun; I love it.
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

Maybe my Marlin 1894 357.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My RUGER 96 in 44 MAG is quite useful indeed! 44 Special for quiet and zero recoil practice, 240 grain ammo for deer, and 270 grain ammo for bear. - TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
JMick
Levergunner

Post by JMick »

My most useful is probably my Marlin 336Y 30-30 with Skinner sights and a Leupold scout scope.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

We ought to get together to conspire on the proper loads for a .480 Carbine.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hands down the 45/70 guide gun.... from .50 RB to 525Gr locomotives.... I have not loaded RB yet, but will work up a useful squib load that gets out of the barrel. I read this is accurate enough for the range it's useful for. It's as handy as a stick shift. That's a lot of coverage and utility from one lil ol blob o stainless steel. I'm planning to paint it some day also . . . when i get in a decorative mood.

Almost forgot, there's also a possibility of a sabot .22 round, which just leaves out .177. Wait a minute . . . :)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

To be 100% truthful, my most used (and by proxy useful) lever action is a common Henry 22 that hangs on a peg by the back porch door with an old hunting shirt hanging over it.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Marlin 1894 p, 44 magnum
Rumble.com/ hickock45