I took a bath today....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I took a bath today....

Post by AJMD429 »

....about time....!!!

Water (well) went out Monday while I was at work.

No chance to do anything other than check to verify it wasn't anything simple Monday but Tuesday spent until 1:30 a.m. in the well-pit checking circuits, capacitors, switches, gauges, bladder tanks, and so on, since it services three buildings and so on.

Last night's "bath" after being in the dank dusty spider-webby pit, consisted of sitting in our downstairs tub and bathing using a quart of "emergency drinking water"... :|

But tonight I got a REAL bath, after a total re-do of the pit...
IMG_20220810_204357942.jpg
IMG_20220810_204353276.jpg
IMG_20220810_204349637.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I took a bath today....

Post by Rusty »

I hope you found the problem. Water problems can be a pain.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

In Mozambique when we had no running water we used the "THREE BOTTLE SHOWER" method. We had a lot of 1.5 liter empty commercial water bottles and we would take those to shower with. The first bottle was for rinse and scrub. The second bottle was rinse and scrub any places you missed. Last bottle was rinse. Those 3 bottle showers were great at the end of a hot day.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you got it working.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I hope you used both primer and adhesive on your joints. All to often folks rely on the adhesives that state they don’t need primer. Only to learn later there really meant for sprinkler systems not anything subjected to much pressure. I would have used schedule 80 pvc instead of 40. That’s a personal preference.

By the way who did the pipe design?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Following instructions with primer and adhesive can make a big difference. My minimal experience working for the Parks and Rec Department in my hometown while a teenager showed that. Two crews, and several parks. One crew was not about to read instructions, and their sprinkler systems all leaked at each and evert joint within 6 months. The other crew, run by a woman who read instructions, put in sprinkler systems in the same number of parks and had only one leak in 5 years. Yes, the instructions on the cans of PVC pipe primer and adhesive are good advice. Cleaning the pipe and not overusing either primer or adhesive was what I remember as her big lesson. The professionals probably can tell more.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

piller wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:13 am Following instructions with primer and adhesive can make a big difference. My minimal experience working for the Parks and Rec Department in my hometown while a teenager showed that. Two crews, and several parks. One crew was not about to read instructions, and their sprinkler systems all leaked at each and evert joint within 6 months. The other crew, run by a woman who read instructions, put in sprinkler systems in the same number of parks and had only one leak in 5 years. Yes, the instructions on the cans of PVC pipe primer and adhesive are good advice. Cleaning the pipe and not overusing either primer or adhesive was what I remember as her big lesson. The professionals probably can tell more.
the new cans have a warning " to be used on pipes only, do not huff the fumes!"
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All designed and made by me (I built my own house including framing plumbing electric and all that just because I figured it is something a person should take the opportunity to do in life; later I used those learned skills to totally re-wire my mom's house from the meter base on, and re-plumbed my aunt's from the well-head on). The system is one of two wells that serve three houses and an outbuilding, and the long-term goal is to get it set up so that if either well or pump fails, a few turns of appropriate valves will allow safe, non-refluxing sharing of either well temporarily for all buildings, and the electric can come from any of the three houses at will. When our water went out, I figured instead of just patch-fixing it I'd do it right, so it is a step towards the future integrated system, plus make it easer to work on or modify if our needs change.

I use Schedule 80 nearly everywhere, just like I use 10 gauge wire when 12 is ok and 12 gauge when 14 is ok, and put every single inch of wiring for my own house in conduit, whether behind the wall or not. The house supply plumbing is all 3/4" copper, because I don't trust the plasticizers that leach out of all the 'plastic' pipes if you run them with hot water in them, but I use PVC in the only-cold-water wellhouse. On PVC I use primer not only because you get better bonding, but the visibility makes it much harder just totally forget to glue a joint you've only friction fitted for testing a layout. Doing something yourself you save enough money to over-build (and to do it over again if you mess up); plus - you get to keep all the tools you have to buy, so instead of a shoe-box full of receipts you have something tangible left after a project. Finally, you just learn how to do more things, so expand your horizon of knowledge.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

A job like that can be a real problem if your getting old and feeble getting down in a pit and such, glad ya got it fixed. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:23 am A job like that can be a real problem if your getting old and feeble getting down in a pit and such, glad ya got it fixed. :)
Thankfully I had a friend come over and help. He said he felt guilty because there wasn't much he did, because I assembled everything I could on the plastic frame so most of the connections were made by myself standing outside with a fan blowing on me and a cold beer nearby. Once I got down in the well pit where it was hot and sweaty and dusty and full of spiders and cobwebs, it was a real blessing to have him right outside for he could hand me tools or get things out of my way once I was done with them. It didn't seem like much, I'm sure, but it really helped.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doing something yourself you save enough money to over-build (and to do it over again if you mess up); plus - you get to keep all the tools you have to buy, so instead of a shoe-box full of receipts you have something tangible left after a project. Finally, you just learn how to do more things, so expand your horizon of knowledge.
Doc, this my exact same identical OPs Plan. The money I make working on my vehicles buys all the gas and tires. I learned wiring and plumbing and framing and interior finish work the same way.
i've always explained to people that my hands teach me, but i get funny looks. :lol: