Shotshell Prices...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Shotshell Prices...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have never hunted with a shotgun, and very rarely shoot clay targets, so the occasional barnyard pest in a tree is about all I use a shotgun for.

I figured it might not be silly to pick up a few boxes of shotgun shells close to the home defense inventory though, but when I looked at the number two buck and BB shot and similar rounds, they were almost $2.00 a round...!!!

Amazing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shotshell Prices...

Post by Rusty »

Around the homestead here when something has to be shot dead a shotgun is what I always reach for. Harder to miss with it in the wee hours of the night.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I only get out to sport shoot a shotgun once a year or so. For several years Y2K and I would go out with my inlaws around Thanksgiving and shoot a round of sporting clays. We'd always just stop at the local Wally World and pick up a 100-count (4 x 25 round boxes) case of Federal 12 gauge for a bit over $20.

Those days are long gone. :( :evil:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I bought two cases this weekend for my dove hunting stash. I paid ("OUCH") $99/case. But now I won't be hunting for shotgun shells for a while.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:44 pm I bought two cases this weekend for my dove hunting stash. I paid ("OUCH") $99/case. But now I won't be hunting for shotgun shells for a while.
OUCH indeed! :shock:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Yes, but last year you could not buy a box of shells to go dove hunting at times. I had a case of 12 and a case of 20 stashed away. So I was able to shoot and help my friends out too.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good point. I'm just not ready to consign myself to the fact that the ammunition prices we enjoyed a decade ago are never coming back. :(
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:01 pm Good point. I'm just not ready to consign myself to the fact that the ammunition prices we enjoyed a decade ago are never coming back. :(
Yep. Like the 19 cent a gallon gasoline of my teenage years .... :(
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I still have components to put together a bunch of shotgun shells. Not sure how many I actually have loaded. The CFO is starting to worry about me. I buy ammunition before I need it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:23 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:01 pm Good point. I'm just not ready to consign myself to the fact that the ammunition prices we enjoyed a decade ago are never coming back. :(
I must be a bit younger than you Jim. I only remember $.25/gallon, but it was before I started driving. I actually started driving during the oil embargo of the 70's. :shock:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 pm
I must be a bit younger than you Jim. I only remember $.25/gallon, but it was before I started driving. I actually started driving during the oil embargo of the 70's. :shock:
I started driving I was about 9 or 10 ... a Farmall Cub. Got my first car .. a 1947 Chevy when I was 13. I'm 76. Built my first hot rod when I was 14 / 15 ... .47 Mercury coupe with a dropped front axle .. full race flathead V8.
1947_Mecury.JPG
Ford_flathead_V8.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bought gas in 1979 for the first time. Had my restricted license at the time. I paid the same price yesterday for gas as I did then. After all the baloney about Joe Bidet not controlling prices, his low poll numbers are letting the price of gasoline come down a little. Gas prices are still too high.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:12 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 pm
I started driving I was about 9 or 10 ... a Farmall Cub. Got my first car .. a 1947 Chevy when I was 13. I'm 76. Built my first hot rod when I was 14 / 15 ... .47 Mercury coupe with a dropped front axle .. full race flathead V8.

1947_Mecury.JPG

Ford_flathead_V8.JPG
A lost art Jim!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There are still some gear heads building flathead engines. I hate to even consider the cost these days. When I was a teenager I was able to get the stroked crank, cylinders bored, racing cam and lifters, shaved heads, headers, dual point ignition, two-carb intake, shaved flywheel .. only took me about a year to do with after-school odd jobs etc. Nowdays I would probably have to max my credit card.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

A box of 410 is $19.99 at Academy!
A neighbor friend had a 1947 Chevy that we used to cruise around in in the early 1960's and IIRC gas was $.28/gal. but, that didn't bother us because we were working in the hay fields for $4.00 a day! :lol:
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

I shoot reloads for trap but finding components is crazy hard these days. Wish I'd bought more brass hulls; I'd be shooting BP and making my own wads; never mind the smoke! Found an off/on source for reclaimed shot--hope there ain't a lot of steel in there. Got enough 6's to get me through grouse season, but I sure wish somebody'd get the supply chain running back close to full bore!
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I was going to indulge in a 12ga again but the prices put me off . For what I'd use a shotgun for I can probably do as well with a 44 .
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

You could not buy a box of 410 shells in my area if you wanted them. The only ones I have seen in a year was at a local gunstore and he was trying to gouge people for $42 a box for some off brand stuff I have never heard of.