How many hunt with a Winchester 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

How many hunt with a Winchester 71

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

I was brought up in a family where my Dad hunted with one. I inherited it and use it more now then ever. Also picked up a custom one nicely re-stocked with a Monte Carlo comb. That one is the fowl weather one and my Dad's on the nicer days. I am a tracker and cover lots of miles and even though on the heavier side of 8 lbs they carry very nicely. Any others out here use them regularly? Others I use from time to time are a Winchester 88 and 54. Black powder gun is an Encore. I am at the point where I don't shoot anything anymore unless it is really big and old. Not because I have shot tons but just enjoy hunting more and don't want it to end. As a result the Encore is used most years along with the 71 348. Love the 71 though. My Dad was a WWII veteran and a smoker. I swear I can still smell the scent of his tobacco in the stock of his old 71....
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How many hunt with a Winchester 71

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Jim Taylor has used one extensively.

I think they have the best designed stock of any levergun ever made.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've had a 71 for at least 25 years. I shot a moose with it in 2009. That's kinda what they are for in my mind.
To me, it's just way too much gun for deer. No desire to lug that crowbar through the woods to hunt something a 94 or 92 carbine will work just as well on.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Just sold my 71 last month...had it about a dozen years but here in Ohio there is no hunting with one, and I'll never draw a big game tag in any of the western states (I tried). With my bad tinnitus I finally decided to sell it. I miss it, sure was a beautiful gun, but had to thin the herd.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
cj57
Levergunner

Post by cj57 »

I use a 71 sometime, but I prefer a 33 86 over it, a little lighter
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I hunted with a Browning 71 quite a bit for a couple years. Shot 6 or 7 deer (crop damage permits) and a black bear. Beautiful rifle that handled great but as OldWin said, it's a lot of iron to pack around when you're hunting small big game. I'm a walking hunter and it wasn't doing anything for me a 30-30, 35 Remington, or 38-55 would do just as well. If I lived out west or in Alaska where I could hunt moose, elk, and the big bears with some regularity I would still own it and it would probably be a favorite.

Eric
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have always wanted a 71, right now I have to make due with 1886's a takedown 45/70 or a 50-110.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Who DOESN'T hunt with a Winchester 71 or B71?
Unwashed heathens, maybe? :D

I have 2 W71 deluxe and a B71 carbine.
And enough ammo/brass to last through the zombie apocalypse
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

yooper2 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 am I hunted with a Browning 71 quite a bit for a couple years. Shot 6 or 7 deer (crop damage permits) and a black bear. Beautiful rifle that handled great but as OldWin said, it's a lot of iron to pack around when you're hunting small big game. I'm a walking hunter and it wasn't doing anything for me a 30-30, 35 Remington, or 38-55 would do just as well. If I lived out west or in Alaska where I could hunt moose, elk, and the big bears with some regularity I would still own it and it would probably be a favorite.

Eric

My son lives on Kodiak. He is a Winchester guy too, and could have one if he wanted. The problem is, the country is so rough, and weather so bad, it would slowly be destroyed. The collectability kind of ruins the utility of this great rifle. He has a beautiful 1895 TD in 35wcf, but rarely carries it afield for this same reason.
He actually carries a post 64 94 carbine in 30-30 most of the time. It takes some dreadful abuse but keeps right on chugging. A 71 would too, but he would feel terrible about it.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:25 pm
yooper2 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 am I hunted with a Browning 71 quite a bit for a couple years. Shot 6 or 7 deer (crop damage permits) and a black bear. Beautiful rifle that handled great but as OldWin said, it's a lot of iron to pack around when you're hunting small big game. I'm a walking hunter and it wasn't doing anything for me a 30-30, 35 Remington, or 38-55 would do just as well. If I lived out west or in Alaska where I could hunt moose, elk, and the big bears with some regularity I would still own it and it would probably be a favorite.

Eric

My son lives on Kodiak. He is a Winchester guy too, and could have one if he wanted. The problem is, the country is so rough, and weather so bad, it would slowly be destroyed. The collectability kind of ruins the utility of this great rifle. He has a beautiful 1895 TD in 35wcf, but rarely carries it afield for this same reason.
He actually carries a post 64 94 carbine in 30-30 most of the time. It takes some dreadful abuse but keeps right on chugging. A 71 would too, but he would feel terrible about it.
Long lived the 94 and 336!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Drawdown wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:55 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:25 pm

Eric

Long lived the 94 and 336!
Yup.
I've seen him ring a 36" gong 3 out of 5 times at 500yds with that 94 carbine. Just a 66 Lyman on it. The holdover was ridiculous.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

So tell us OldWin, has your son shot big bear with his 94 up there on Kodiak?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

kaschi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:50 pm So tell us OldWin, has your son shot big bear with his 94 up there on Kodiak?
Nope. Unless you draw a permit and specifically hunt them, it just isn't that common. Some of this depends on locale. The coastal bears are the biggest, but they also eat the best, with abundant fish that is easily attainable.
Unless you happen on a sow with cubs, or are just unlucky, it's not that likely.
If a big heavy rifle is ALL you have to carry, that's great. But seldom is that all you have. My son has packed out several deer for people over several miles of tough county. His 94 is less draining than a big rifle, and is still more effective than most think. The big handguns are usually in a holster, slowing reaction time. Most people have a hard time hitting with them when the target us moving, and they all have less capacity than the 94 that was already in your hand. The 30-30 is also cheaper to practice with, and has a wide range of uses.
My son and grandson were out last fall getting their winter salmon for the freezer. They shared the water with this fella. He paid them no mind.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. I'd rather have a 30-30 than any handgun any day of the week if I were in a similar situation.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I hunted with the 71 last year and I can tell you real men hunted with 71s. Because they get very heavy in a short period of time when walking with one. So all those old timers that hunted with the 1886 and 71 were more man I. This year I will hunt with the Win 1895 which I find is a little lighter than the 71 to carry.