The 'gun culture' and the rise of the AR-15...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

The 'gun culture' and the rise of the AR-15...

Post by AJMD429 »

This video makes a good case for the 'Assault Weapon Ban' as one of the key factors increasing the populatity of the 'Modern Sporting Rifle'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbPpQOIYtis

As usual, government programs usually have the opposite of their intended effect...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: The 'gun culture' and the rise of the AR-15...

Post by Pisgah »

I've said it for years -- I believe the Clintons and Obama were paid off and foisted upon us by the gun industry. They were the greatest gun salesmen of all time -- although Joe is in the running ...
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

The only ones enamored with AR 15’s are those that never had to carry them in battle darn pop guns are great varmint rounds not fit for killing. Recoil averse candy butts.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think some of the better rounds out there actually make the AR a viable rifle. I am not a fan of the .556 for much.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 pm I think some of the better rounds out there actually make the AR a viable rifle. I am not a fan of the .556 for much.
I like 300 Blk; it brings out the best attributes and advantages of the 'shorty' configurations of the AR.

Like THIS:
6112.jpeg
Short (this one is 16-1/4") barrels chambered in 223/5.56 are punishingly concussive and loud....but in 300 Blk they are pretty average for a rifle in terms of noise, especially with the subsonics.

Plus knowing you're shooting a 30 caliber bullet makes it feel like less of a Mattel Toy or even a low-power 'varmint rifle' which this configuration surely wouldn't qualify for anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

AJMD429, concur on the 7.62x35mm! I'm also kinda partial to the 7.62x33 (30 carbine). I consider the Blackout as a 30 carbine +P+. 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For thick woods, or areas where shots are 50 to 75 yards at most, I would think that the . 300 BO would be plenty for deer or most wild pigs. So what if is not a long range target round. Yes, it is actually on my list to get an upper, or maybe an entire carbine in that caliber. It has garnered a reputation for reliably and humanely killing deer and pigs.
Then there are the big thumper calibers an AR can be had in. .458 SoCom, .50 Beowulf, and .450 Bushmaster, and the .350 Legend ann come to mind as big thumpers in an AR platform. All of them show enough power on paper for anything I am likely to hunt anymore.
The AR is ugly to me, but it works. I love a nice Winchester or Marlin, and .30-30 is a good all round caliber. Still, I don't have to ignore the AR just because of its being ugly and the .223 being a relatively weak round. Like a dog, sometimes the ugly ones go a good job and are reliable.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:59 am Like a dog, sometimes the ugly ones go a good job and are reliable.
....glad you didn't risk life and limb by using the word "woman" or "wife" in that sentence.... :shock: :lol:

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

D. Brian Casady
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

MS 9x56 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:47 pm The only ones enamored with AR 15’s are those that never had to carry them in battle darn pop guns are great varmint rounds not fit for killing. Recoil averse candy butts.
:o :o :o

:D
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

MS 9x56 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:47 pm The only ones enamored with AR 15’s are those that never had to carry them in battle darn pop guns are great varmint rounds not fit for killing. Recoil averse candy butts.
Yup, just ask Kyle Rittenhouse. The first guy took FOUR hits before going down. Then again, the second only took ONE! We all know what happened to the third, he took a hit to the bicep and ended up lying his backside off in court before fessing up to what HE did!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - Beto [ :roll: ] O'Rourke says how horribly powerful the AR-15 is, "designed to kill soldiers 500 yards away by shooting through their steel helmets"....

Someone should take some realistic human stunt-dummies like they use in movies, and shoot them with some different guns from a few feet away, simulating what would happen in a classroom:

a) an Evil AR-15
b) a 30-06 "deer rifle"
c) a 12 gauge loaded with "deer slugs"
d) a 12 gauge loaded with "buckshot"
e) a 45 Colt SAA "cowboy revolver"

Then let's see which gun makes the most gruesome wounds to the plastic or clay models of little kids.

AND while we're at it, let's explore the concept that it really doesn't matter what the projectile is, or was fired from, when you have a murderous psychopath in a classroom. The problem kinda is a) that the scumbag is even there instead of already in jail or dead, and b) that nobody IN THE CLASSROOM is there with equipment and training to STOP the scumbag. Since the first factor isn't always going to be possible, but the second one should always be possible, I would never send my kid to a classroom where the TEACHER isn't armed and proficient. (We homeschooled, so our 'school' did indeed have a decent perimeter fences and motion detectors and nearly 400 total pounds of fanged canines, and both teachers were armed/proficient - plus after age six or so any of our kids could handle and fire the revolvers and Mini-14's that we kept on hand.)

So while the AR-15 isn't the "battle rifle" Beto says it is, they are decent guns, and I'm glad they have gotten the popular appeal to become 'mainstream' as the Modern Sporting Rifle concept. I think 300 Blackout would have been a more practical chambering for the hunter and perhaps many professional scenarios, but the 223 is light, easy to shoot, accurate, and the public who learns to shoot AR-15's gets used to the most difficult parts of shooting that intimidates new shooters - the very loud 'blast' quits intimidating them early on, because they are likely to be enjoying the fact that the guns are easy to hit targets with.

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

(f) 38spl wadcutter

If you watch the parts weight, 300BLK isn't much heavier than 223/5.56. :)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

What forearm is that in your picture? I have an M4 Lower that I am finished with now that needs an upper receiver. Strongly considering the 300 BO but many have said it is a waste of money because 5.56 is cheaper. You have me definitely reconsidering.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I thought the 25-45 sharps would have done better , if it had tacticool name.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:02 pm What forearm is that in your picture? I have an M4 Lower that I am finished with now that needs an upper receiver. Strongly considering the 300 BO but many have said it is a waste of money because 5.56 is cheaper. You have me definitely reconsidering.
Hogue - they come in various colors if you look at their own website, although the winds at MidwayUSA.com when I got mine were all olive drab green which is fine with me.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yeah ———————- sure friend.

Are you one of the mythical heroes from Vietnam who immediately either tossed their newly issued m16 into the jungle , or handed it back to the armorer and said “just gimme a kbar” as you knew you could just wander into the tree line and pick up an Akm and a full battle load out that would better suit your needs ?
----- Doug
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

While I never carried one in battle I know many who have. I very much disagree with your statment mainly due to the reason that the AR is such a great platform all around. While I am not a fan of the 5.56 I am a fan of the platform. I have several set up for different hunting situations and the fact that the AR can be built in so many different configurations for so many differen purposes I just can't agree that they are not fit for anything but varmint.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree with you. The AR can be set up for thumper size cartridges, as well as mid range power levels. OK, so it is not elephant gun power level, but it is certainly up to and including bear power level. I wouldn't be afraid to take a .50 Beowulf or a .458 Socom AR 15 to Alaska. They are close to .45-70 power level. A good bullet out of them should make its way to a Grizzly bear's vitals and then some. Sure, a Grizzly is tough, but they have been killed with small calibers. I wouldn't use a 5.56 Nato cartridge on a bear by choice. I would choose to carry a .458 Socom caliber AR 15 in bear country. I can use an AR 15 due to my time in the Army, and that caliber seems to be powerful enough to put a 325 grain bullet into a big bear.
D. Brian Casady